Thread: Hand tool woodworking in NJ?

1. Hand tool woodworking in NJ?

Hello all. I've really been getting interested in this, and have assembled some tools, and am looking for like-minded folk to get together, teach and learn from. The rough stool I made from a log was a revelation! Im in High Bridge NJ. Is there anyone around who teaches? Some topics that I need help with include saw sharpening,tenon cutting, finishing & hand planes. I've done a bit of riving and hewing.

Anyone near by?

-Eric

I am not a teacher but I would love to help you with hand planes and finishing. i would love to learn to properly rive and hew. Sending pm.

While I have never been able to get to one of these meetings, I hear this organization is very good. You will get to meet people such as Wilbur Pan there, who is a wealth of knowledge and experience.

http://cjwa.org/

http://logancabinetshoppe.wordpress.com/classes/

If you want to concentrate on hand tool use.

http://philadelphiafurnitureworkshop.com/

If you want a hybrid approach.

Can't go wrong with either, their stand up guys - all.

Blog Entries
    I'm in central NJ. If you guys want to get together I'll set aside some time.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 12-20-2014 at 10:40 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I'm in Central NJ too, but a learner still. There are some great online resources and I hear great things about the CNJ woodworking club mentioned above but have not been.

Wish you guys weren't so south far I'd also be interested in joining in. I don't know if you know this but Crafts of NJ is in your town its an antique tool club.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    While I have never been able to get to one of these meetings, I hear this organization is very good. You will get to meet people such as Wilbur Pan there, who is a wealth of knowledge and experience.

http://cjwa.org/
    I've never been to a CJWA meeting either, but have learned a lot from them since they seem to have a presence at most of the Central NJ woodworking events. The Woodworking Shows comes to Somerset NJ every February and the CJWA folks always have a booth. Bob and Wilbur are usually there for at least some of the time. CJWA was also at the recent Lie-Nielsen event at Willard Brothers in Trenton. Lie-Nielsen is going to be at Peters Valley in May, but have no idea whether any of the clubs will be there.

Although The Woodworking Shows is power tool oriented, there are often some good hand tool presentations. Paul Sellers has been there in the past, although I think he's skipping this year. For 2015, I see that 360 Woodworking will be there and that Veritas will be presenting 1/2 dozen 20-minute sessions.

Steve

Blog Entries
    I went to the Lie Nielsen event at willard brothers, It was pretty good. I was curious to know if anyone else was going but didnt start a thread because I couldnt dedicate much time to the event.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I didn't realize Willard Brothers had a LN event. I just found some info and apparently it was November 14-15 AND they were having an annual sale. It's been a while since I've been there but looks like they are now carrying tools.

I was there as well. I went mainly to see if I could use them as a hardwood supplier. I was very impressed with their facility. They had multiple rooms filled with beautiful slabs and a huge supply of hardwoods indoors where you could browse for hours in a heated showroom. They were having a huge sale that day as well and I made some purchases of Lacewood and Cherry.
    Very impressive place and helpful staff. It's a 2 hour drive for me but I will be using them again in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Leigh View Post
    I was there as well. I went mainly to see if I could use them as a hardwood supplier. I was very impressed with their facility. They had multiple rooms filled with beautiful slabs and a huge supply of hardwoods indoors where you could browse for hours in a heated showroom. They were having a huge sale that day as well and I made some purchases of Lacewood and Cherry.
    Very impressive place and helpful staff. It's a 2 hour drive for me but I will be using them again in the future.
    While their slabs are impressive, their prices are not. I wonder how much longer it would take for you to get to Hearne Hardwood or Groff & Groff in the Lancaster area. Amazing selection and much better prices. I've also heard good things about some of the North Jersey sawmills. There are also a couple of wood vendors at The Woodwoking Show and their show prices are excellent.

Steve

Blog Entries
    Hasn't really been my experience, they are reasonable and provide very high quality.

I thought they were pretty pricy too, but they did give me a discount when I asked. I dropped by Hearne this fall and they had VERY reasonable prices IMHO. Nice folks too. Selection was limited to local hardwoods. I will have to check out Groff & Groff some time but is about 90 minutes further.

I find Willard Bros a tad pricey, but you usually don't have to do much hunting and pecking to find good things. I find their selection of slabs very nice.

It's a great place to bring a client when looking for one-of-a-kind things.

I also find the staff helpful.

In the main showroom, they have a good selection of local slabs, which appeals to me.