Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting cabriole legs without bandsaw?

Cutting cabriole legs without bandsaw?

Ok, I've done some searching, but haven't seen a clear solution yet. How were cabriole legs cut before bandsaws?

I can look at the wood removed and imagine bow saw (giving me an excuse to hunt for one), but wanted to check if someone has experience with this and the recommended tools. My next project will include an attempt (four or more attempts, lol) at cabriole legs, and was curious.

I could imaging other ways to arrive at the curves, but would require a large amount of clean up.

Mack Headley shows one historic method using hand saws in the Colonial Williamsburg video entitled "The Cabinetmaker".
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Yes, we use a turning saw to cut these curves.

Here is a cabriole leg that was made in Philadelphia in the 18th century.
    willing leg.jpg

Fidel,

That is what I had considered doing given all my tools are geared for straight work. I had seen that done on a smaller scale for a lamb's tongue. More clean up than a bow saw it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    Mack Headley shows one historic method using hand saws in the Colonial Williamsburg video entitled "The Cabinetmaker".
    Zach, I'm not finding a listing for that. Is the full title "The art and mystery of a cabinetmaker crafting a card table"?

I remember Bob R. talking about seeing the guys at Williamsburg do most of the work with a chisel, bevel down.

The kerfing method in the video looks awfully slow to me.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Will be searching for turning saw recommendations. I wonder if the 12" bow saw is large enough to cut curves in 12/4 stock?

Look up Logan's Cabinet Shop on Youtube (or his blog) and you'll find him doing Cabrio legs on the Porriger (sp?) tea table series. Pretty good straight forward explanation.

Real men chop them out with hatchets.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Look up Logan's Cabinet Shop on Youtube (or his blog) and you'll find him doing Cabrio legs on the Porriger (sp?) tea table series. Pretty good straight forward explanation.
    This video particularly picks up on the leg shaping after dressing the stock and cutting the mortises:

http://youtu.be/whOisUSxGhc

I haven't made a cabriole leg, but my initial instinct was that in-cannel gouges working cross-grain would be the quickest, but I may just be trying to justify the larger ones I purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Voigt View Post
    Zach, I'm not finding a listing for that. Is the full title "The art and mystery of a cabinetmaker crafting a card table"?

I remember Bob R. talking about seeing the guys at Williamsburg do most of the work with a chisel, bevel down.

The kerfing method in the video looks awfully slow to me.
    Thats the one.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Mr. Wilson, I half expected to find a video of Saint Underhill chopping some cabriole legs with some form of farm implement. But, I did not find a video of him making any cabriole legs. I have seen a video where he cut a set of dovetails with a dull garden hoe, however.

Rusty, sturdy and dull hatchets.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Thanks, Tony! Just what I was needing!

Just Do It !

Some times a home shop woodworker has got to do what a home shop woodworker has got to do.

ha, ha
    Some lumber jacks might use this.
    Go at least half way in the video to the Whaler and then the Lumber Jack. This tool is my latest passion.
    George did you carry one of these when you were in Alaska ?

Justin,
    For you I'm picturing some rig you could make up as a spring pole bow saw (yes larger than 12")

Better yet explain to your wife how you are going to sell the car and buy a Laguna bandsaw.
    You won't regret it. (getting the Laguna that is) (after you get out of traction resulting from your wife's response to your declaration). It is TOTALLY worth doing what ever you need to do to get the bandsaw.
    No pain
    no gain
    I'm pulling for ya
    We are all in this together.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 12-21-2014 at 5:21 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.