Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabbets on a router table

Rabbets on a router table

I've recently upgraded my router table with a new router and dust collection, and my first test project was to rout the edge of a piece of 3/4 ply to fit into a 1/2 inch dado. The plan was to set the fence 1/2 inch from the bit and use the router to trim off the 1/4" (approx) leaving a 1/2" rabbet.

The problem I had is that when feeding the board into the cut, the plywood chipped out badly. Reversing direction, in climb, the router yanked the work piece from my hands and destroyed it. Not good.

I was using a 1/2" bit. What am I doing wrong?

Never move material against the direction of the router bit. Plywood is the most difficult material to cut. First score the plywood with a deep cut line where you want the edge to be. Then place the material face down against the fence but out of the cutter head. Now push the material through the cutter head. Use a cutter head with a half inch shaft or larger for rabbiting.

1) I agree with Ron. Prescoring the face material is a good idea. Use a straightedge and razor knife. You only need to cut through the top layer.
    2) what type of bit. For plywood cutting like that a spiral bit would be better than a straight cutting bit
    3) take multiple shallow passes. 1/4" is too deep. 1st cut I would do would be to maybe go only between 1/16 and 1/8.
    4) no climb cutting. I only do that for cleanup, never for stock removal

I'd climb cut but at a rate of~1/16/pass east/west. But, to be sure, plywood is not flat and you can't flatten it x hand.
    As such, the depths of cut will change moment x moment. And indeed on the last pass your router may throw the sample on the deck.

I don't understand Ron's instructions. Maybe my terms are just different. For a "normal" cut on a router table, the wood is moved from right to left, AGAINST the rotation of the bit. A climb cut is just the opposite. It moves the piece with the rotation of the bit and that's why the bit can grab it and pull it away from you.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cullen View Post
    The plan was to set the fence 1/2 inch from the bit and use the router to trim off the 1/4" (approx) leaving a 1/2" rabbet.

I was using a 1/2" bit. What am I doing wrong?
    Dave, were you passing the plywood through the router table while holding it vertically?? I would not do that.....

Reconfigure your cutter and fence so the plywood is passed across the table while laying horizontally and the 1/2 inch you want to save is above the bit.

Lornie

The plan was to set the fence 1/2 inch from the bit and use the router to trim off the 1/4" (approx) leaving a 1/2" rabbet.
    Dave, it may be a description issue but I read your post to say that you were passing the work between the fence and the cutter. If so, don't do that. It's not safe.

If I understand correctly, you want a 1/2-in. thick tongue so you are making a 1/4 in. deep rabbet. The rabbet is what you cut away, not what is left.

Dave

Plywood is a pain sometimes, even really expensive cabinet grade can be problematic on a router table because of the alternating ply's.
    From your post, it seems that you had the material between the fence and the bit, on end. That's a difficult cut to control, if that's what you were doing. It also sounds as if you were trying to remove too much material in one pass.

One question though;
    What type of 1/2" straight bit was it? You need one with a set of bottom cutters. A 1/2" straight bit with no bottom cutters will leave a ragged edge, and bottom surface.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

If I was doing it I would use a 1/2" down cut spiral bit and lay the plywood flat on the table and go from right to left. Adjusting the fence and bit height as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Mancini View Post
    Never move material against the direction of the router bit.
    I always cut against the rotation of the bit, with the rotation is a climb cut to me.

Why not use an edge guide, a rabbeting bit and do it hand held?
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Why not use an edge guide, a rabbeting bit and do it hand held?
    If it is a large board I will but on the router table I get a lot better cuts and if the board is a little warped my Jessem hold downs will flatten it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    If I was doing it I would use a 1/2" down cut spiral bit and lay the plywood flat on the table and go from right to left. Adjusting the fence and bit height as needed.
    This, with or without the spiral, is my strategy when making a rabbit on a router table. Never work trapped between fence and bit...thats how they set up baseball pitching machines. A stout router will take out 1/4" in a single pass with a sharp cutter, but the quality of cut may suffer a bit, a lighter initial pass may help reduce tearing the veneer. If you are as described running vertically from right to left with the work between fence and bit, as the cutter leaves the work its going to try to lift the veneer as it leaves. You might stand a chance running from left to right with good feather boards to hold the work to a stout tall fence.....but the odds are still against you. Lay it flat, good router bit, works fine. Sometimes you want to have a perfect 1/2" left despite varying plywood thickness, and that can be accomplished with an overarm router, not so much with a regular router table and straight bit. You could run a rabbiting bit above the work with a collet extension if the router is stout, seems like a lot of work.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Mancini View Post
    Never move material against the direction of the router bit..
    Never move material WITH the direction of the router bit. That's a climb cut. It can be done in some circumstances, but not a normal procedure.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Dave got a good lesson (thankfully without injury) as to why you don't capture your work piece between the bit and fence. There are exceptions like sliding dovetails and dados, of course. As described, one method I use is to raise the bit to full height and take about an 1/8" at a pass moving from left to right. I use the fence to control the steps and the eventual final depth. another method is to set the full depth with the fence and start with an 1/8" height of cut raising the bit for each pass. Moving the fence would be easier for those without lift capability.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler