Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Tack Trunk Commission

Latest Tack Trunk Commission

I completed my latest tack trunk commission this morning...this is a reinforced, mobile design for a young woman who rides both in PA and in Florida. Unlike most of my trunks, this one is very open on the inside to make "travel packing" more efficient. While at her barn, it will provide normal storage and while traveling, it will be easy to accommodate her saddle and other items normally stored elsewhere. This trunk has cherry trim and quarter-sawn white oak fields. Hardware is stainless steel and other weather resistant steel.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Another beauty, Jim.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Are you selling them as tack trunks or art work?

Very nice work Jim, as we have come to expect from you!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very nice looking....I'm not familiar with horseback riding but when I look at it I can imagine it 20 years from now being "aged" with use and the elements( I mean that as a total complement!!).

Jim

Very nice Jim. You could REALLY deck it out with a CNC.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Very nice Jim. You could REALLY deck it out with a CNC.
    Yea, a CNC would be a nice addition to the shop someday, not just for embellishing these, but there is a nice demand for signage in the equestrian world, too. The real issue is that "what I would want" isn't on the super low end price-wise.

----

Thanks for the kind comments, folks. I really do like the end result on this one.
    --

Blog Entries
    Nice work, it should age nicely.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yea, a CNC would be a nice addition to the shop someday, not just for embellishing these, but there is a nice demand for signage in the equestrian world, too. The real issue is that "what I would want" isn't on the super low end price-wise.

----
    I hear that! And you can factor in another good sized chunk of change by the time you get it set up the way you really want it. DAMHIKT!

For a workhorse, dollar for dollar you can't do much better than the Camaster.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Beautiful piece, Jim
    Lori K

That's really nice looking, Jim. If you get a chance to take a picture of one of those tack trunks with the tack in it, I'd be very interested to see how it all goes in. I don't know much about English riding.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

It is beautiful Jim and looks very sturdy. I am sure the young lady is much appreciative of your considerable talent.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    That's really nice looking, Jim. If you get a chance to take a picture of one of those tack trunks with the tack in it, I'd be very interested to see how it all goes in. I don't know much about English riding.
    Strangely enough, given the name "tack trunk"...what takes up the most room in these trunks is grooming items, tack cleaning products and medical/health needs items. Saddles and bridles are more often than not stored on racks on the walls at the barn. At least around here. It's not specific to English or western disciplines, either...horse care is horse care. This particular client will be putting her saddle and other leather goods into the trunk when she travels to Florida, but when she's at her home barn, those items will be living on the wall as I mentioned. That's why hers needed to be more open inside. This is typical of "show trunks"...those that travel for sure.

My personal trunk has an extra drawer, for example, which I find handy to store smaller, more valuable items, such as clippers, spurs, extra leather goods, etc. It has a lock on it, too. I will try to remember to take a photo or three next time I'm at the barn to show what's inside when in use.

----

I delivered this trunk to the client this afternoon. She had me bring it to her house so it could get a big red bow on it and be near their Christmas tree. It will be interesting how she manages to fit it in her Prius to get it to her barn after the holiday. LOL
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-21-2014 at 8:46 PM.
    --

Wow, great craftsmanship Jim, nicely done. I agree with Jim Tobias, it's going to age nicely in 20 years or so. Well done.

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Jim, that's a sweet looking piece. I'm wondering if you've considered taking a "campaign furniture" approach to the travelling trunks. It seems that incorporating some corner protection would be a good thing.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Beautiful craftsmanship Jim. I like the combo of the cherry and QSWO.

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.