Thread: Bench Plane Sole To Side Angle

Bench Plane Sole To Side Angle

I am setting up an inexpensive Stanley #4 plane (remove grinding marks and flatten sole). After sanding the sides I noticed the angle between side and sole is not 90.

Obvious question is should the angle be exactly 90? I would think so but perhaps there are other considerations.

My opinion is that this is only important if you plan to use the plane for shooting. Personally, I would find a #4 too small for shooting so I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree with Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Belair View Post
    I agree with Dave.
    +2.

I use a #6 for shoothing work.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks gents. This is my first plane and intended it to be general purpose including some shooting. What size would shooting be suitable.

Oops, I didn't see the previous post. Question answered.

My experience with older Stanleys is that they are rarely ground square. It just wasn't what the manufacturers were aiming for. I have a #8 which happens to be square, and it is excellent for shooting because of its mass, although it is a bit unwieldy.

I believe the 5 and 6 are the most popular sizes for shooting purposes. I use a low angle type for good results on going across end grain as well.
    David

Blog Entries
    Art,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't indicate a location. Where do you call home?

What size would shooting be suitable.
    Depending on what you are shooting any size from a block plane to a large jointer might be best for the job.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm a Canuck from Brampton, On. Thanks for reminding me to update the profile.

I might spend the time to bring the one side to 90 for smaller shooting situations.

Most shooting work is for endgrain so a low angle plane would be a better choice for that. It is for me anyway.

A plane doesn't need to be a true 90*, even to use on a shooting board. It really just needs to be flat, and close to 90*. You can compensate with the blade angle adjuster to make the blade 90*. I shoot with a Lie Nielsen #7 or #5 low angle, and I still have to make sure the blade is 90*. I have an older Bedrock 604, one side is 90 and the other is a degree or two off. I would have to shoot left handed if it had to be 90, but I can get the blade 90.

Your plane should be fine for what ever you want use it for.

Another way to adjust for a non-perfect 90 degree side on a plane used for shooting is to use postit notes on the deck and bar of the
    shooting board.

You can also use shavings or even tape.

For example, to adjust a end grain with the upper edge of the work piece more towards the 90 sought, add pieces of tape or post it notes to the
    bottom of the work piece end away from the cutting area. That will raise the work piece with more of the end grain edge leaning towards
    the shooting plane blade.

Visa ver sa for the other direction.

On the shooting board bar, you can do the same thing only it will affect the horizontal angle.

I hope I made this clear enough. There have been some posts in the past that have probably done a better job
    explaining this technique. It does work and work well....cheap too!

Enjoy the shavings!

Blog Entries
    Another way to adjust for a non-perfect 90 degree side on a plane used for shooting is to use postit notes on the deck and bar of the
    shooting board.
    One of my shooting boards seems to move a bit with changes in the weather. It gets adjusted with a shaving here or a couple there all the time as needed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)