Thread: SKIL router table needed legs

SKIL router table needed legs

Had a garage sale find, well, two of them. A metal router table like Norm Abram USED to use, and a Black & Decker all metal 1/4" router.
    router table completed.jpgRouter table, underside.jpg
    Took a bit of fiddling to get these two together. Problem? Well it is sitting on one of my tool chests. Makes it hard to get tools out. Had some left-overs sitting around in the shop
    some 1/2" plywood, from adding a sheet under my bed's mattress.
    Couple of 3x3 square posts from a metal loft bed
    An end panel from the same loft bed
    Box of 1-5/8" drywall screws

Cut the 12" (more less) plywood strip into 4" wide strips
    Added one strip to the legs
    IMAG0060.jpg
    Visegrips to hold things still, start the screw through the plywood, then full speed ahead til the screw bites through the thin metal. Repeat until the four 27-1/2" legs are now into two side assemblies
    Cut the end panel down a bit, to make a "top" Clamp one side assembly to it
    grid attachment.jpg
    Again, visegrips and clamps to hold things in place. Screws through just the plywood. These coarse threaded screws seem to go right through the thin metal. No connections to the legs. Added the other side( front and back ?) and then added a strip to each end with plywood
    end panels.jpg
    Square one side, drive three screws, square the other side and add three more. Repeat for the other end, and stand this stand onto it's own four feet
    standing up.jpg
    Then add two more plywood strips front to back, and add that router table thingy
    Router Table Unit.jpg
    This leaves the rest of the "top" like an open grid, to allow chips and other stuff to fall onto the floor. Then "park" this stand away from my tool chests, until I need a "Routah" for project.
    finished table.jpg

Table height seems to be about right for this. There is still a strip of plywood in the shop, might have to see what I can cobble out of it.....
    BTW: Metal router table was $20 at the garage sale, and the router was ...$3 rest of the stuff was just left overs.

It was just a way to get a stand for the router table to sit on, at a height that was comfy for me. I can also remove the table from this stand, and add a benchtop bandsaw in it's place. As soon as I can get the bandsaw fixed and running again. I do have a scrollsaw I can place on it as well. Still might add a shelf under the top.....