Thread: Zero clearance insert for a Unisaw with splitter?

Zero clearance insert for a Unisaw with splitter?

I am looking for suggestions on a zero clearance insert for my Unisaw.

I have a Unisaw with a Uniguard (which has a removable splitter). On my old contractors saw, I just made an insert out of some scraps (usually a piece of plywood). I made one today for the Unisaw. However I have issue with the splitter. If I cut out for the splitter (which I did not) then it seems that the structural integrity of the throat plate would be compromised. There would not be much “beef” between the saw blade slot and the splitter slot. I know I could "beef" up that area. Or perhaps buy one of the phenolic inserts. Would they be stronger than plywood?

I seem to remember an aluminum throat plate that had a removable piece of hardwood down the center. I can’t seem to find it on the web. Does anyone use this one? Did it allow for the splitter?

For those who are using a splitter AND a zero clearance insert, what are you using for the insert?

Do you use one for 90 degrees and another one for other angles, or do you use one for all? Im' just curious. In the past I used one for all angles.

Thanks,
    Frankie
    Last edited by Frankie Hunt; 07-19-2005 at 10:19 PM.

I have the same setup

I have the exact same setup and made my ZCI out of half inch plywood. I just cut a slot for the splitter using the original metal insert as a guide. There will be about a half inch web of wood between the splitter slot and the blade slot. I have had no problems with the strength of the insert.

To keep the insert from tipping, I put a brass screw at an angle in the lower back edge. By adjusting it in or out, I am able to adjust how tight it fits.

For angled cuts, I switch back to the original metal insert. In fact, you need to be sure to change from the ZCI before tilting the blade. Othewise, you can bend you blade.

I would post a picture but my camera's battery is dead at the moment.

I hope this helps.
    Age and Treachery will always beat youth and skill.

Jack, Thanks for the quick reply! Guess I will go with the plywood insert.

don r. Thanks for the link. I already have a splitter, I am trying to make mine work.

I found the link to the aluminum insert. Its very pricey and not available for a left tilt Unisaw. Here is the link: http://www.wooddynamics.com/index.htm

I am still wondering what everyone else is using and I welcome all comments.

Frankie

I have the same Deluxe Uniguard with it's splitter and I use a phenolic insert.

When I tilt the blade I simply put back the original steel insert, but it's not often.

I agree with you about the integrity once you cut the slot for the splitter. I raise my blade to full height so it's a long slot, plus the slot for the splitter, I was afraid that even the phenolic insert would get weak. But it's been fine for.. I guess 6 years.
    Happy Woodworking!

Same as Jack except mine are 1/2 oak, which is what I had around at the time. Have the same 1/2" connection left between the 2 sides of the insert between the blade and splitter.

I just make my ZCI with the slot necessary to accomodate the splitter. I make mine out of 1/2" MDF scraps, but have done the same with a plastic one I bought at a show.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for all the comments. I used a blank plywood insert that I had made earlier. I would make several at a time. I made them for my Contractors saw (right tilt) but they fit fine on my Unisaw (left tilt). The finger hole is on the wrong end but it still works fine.

I knew there was a reason I went with the Unisaw instead of the PM 66.

Thanks again everybody, I didn't want to get into trouble with the new saw.

Frankie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frankie Hunt; 07-21-2005 at 7:50 PM.

Here is a picture of two ZCI's I have made for my Unisaw. One is out of 1/2" MDF and the other is a commercially available device that I use most of the time. I don't have a picture of the insert with a slot cut in the rear for my Bies splitter which I use 95% of the time. I have both short kerf and long kerf versions of both designs.

The other picture is an idea from MicroJig with both a long kerf and short kerf in one plate. You could put a slot in the rear for your Delta splitter just as easy.
    Attached Images Attached Images