Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What instructional videos do you recommend?

What instructional videos do you recommend?

I have time - I have nothing BUT time - for the next number of weeks as new hip settles in. May as well put the time to good use, so.........

Not really sure what it is I could benefit from - this falls into Rumsfeld's "Unknown Unknowns" - so I am asking for input.

I am open to any and all topics - but something you found of particular interest. I am not a Neander by religion, so I am not really interested in neander-built projects, but specific neander techniques would be fair game. I have no interest in the "turned stuff" cult. Not looking to add machinery.

For some background reference on what I know how to do [selected examples] - I have built reproduction Stickley/Ellis bookcases with inset doors. I have designed and built dining room table with breadboard ends, and side chairs and arm chairs. Don't need instructions on M&T joinery. Don't need instructions on dovetails - need more practice, of course - but have done that enough times. Highways are littered with ply carcass casework and shelving.

Would maybe like to learn to spray finishes someday. Am open to learning French Polishing.

Or - videos that are simply cool to watch.

Whatcha got for me?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

2. If you are into routing wood signs, Dave has 107 videos available on line.

Needle work? Knitting? Felting?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Needle work? Knitting? Felting?
    One of the many remarkable traits of LOML is that she never does nothing. Never just sits there, even when watching NCAA basketball or Downton Abbey.

She knits. Very good at it, too.

This time of year, it is gifts for family & friends. Approx count so far is 6 scarfs - extra, extra long and soft. 7 or 8 pair of socks. 3 sweaters.

The rest of the year, it might be stuff for herself, a blankie for a new baby in the extended friends constellation, or - this is new in the last few years - she knits caps for babies - dunno the charitable organization, but I believe it is Africa-focused. Sumpin' like 50 - 60 per year.

So - knitting instruction - don't need the videos, it is live, from the passenger seat in the Beemer for a trip to visit friends in Greenville or Richmond.

Good suggestion, though, Myk - you definitely brought your "A game".
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Sketchup videos and a laptop. Get some practice in while sitting there.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Maybe you have seen them, but I do enjoy the Taunton videos, Mehler, Duginske, Klauz...They can be enjoyable for a first timer or to pass the time for a veteran such as yourself. I had a couple cracked vertebrae in my back from a wreck several years ago and it could have been the medication, but I do recall enjoying them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post

Good call. I hve thought about SU in the past. Proficient on laptop. Fairly good with AutoCAD.

Maybe I will spend some time there.

Thanks. MIke

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Womer View Post
    Maybe you have seen them, but I do enjoy the Taunton videos, Mehler, Duginske, Klauz...They can be enjoyable for a first timer or to pass the time for a veteran such as yourself. I had a couple cracked vertebrae in my back from a wreck several years ago and it could have been the medication, but I do recall enjoying them.
    Thanks, Kevin. I know the names, but have not read/watched their stuff.

Will look into it.

Kent

That is one deep rabbit hole but well worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Good call. I hve thought about SU in the past. Proficient on laptop. Fairly good with AutoCAD.

Maybe I will spend some time there.

Thanks. MIke

Sketchup, definitely. I'm just getting into it and I'm having a blast. It's so much nicer and easier than the CAD in my cabinet program. I just designed a Craftsman mantle for a couple in 15min and I'm about as novice a SU user as can be. CAD would have taking me 3x as long for the symmetry and details.

http://www.sketchup.com/learn/

http://sketchupforwoodworkers.com/

Those two links will get your started.
    -Lud

Maybe you would find these of interest. There's some woodworking but they're mostly other topics. All the same presenters

Tudor Monastery Farm
    Edwardian Fam
    Wartime farm
    Secrets of the castle This is the first of 5 parts.

There's more of these documentaries by the same people, as well.

Kent my three favorite YouTube's
    hffcom
    Wnwoodwork
    mtmwood
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by John A langley View Post
    Kent my three favorite YouTube's
    hffcom
    Wnwoodwork
    mtmwood
    John - thanks.

How's life on the 56 Highway? Haven't talked in a while. Hope you are well.

For me, without a doubt, it would be Charles Neil's vids. He has a great way of doing things. I've adopted his molding methods and use it to this day. He's fantastic at finishing and coloring. I've got most of his DVD's and he puts them on discount on regular basis, but he also has a subsription video service where he does projects and builds. Great weekly watch and he's from VA so ya know he's ok.

http://www.cn-woodworking.com/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    This is what I would do. I would love to be proficient in sketchup. I can think of all sorts of stuff I could design with it. I would get the Dave Richards DVDs and spend all day, every day working with it. I would then contact Dave at the end of my day to discuss my problems and get advice from the master.

That is my plan after retirement in 2 years.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.