Thread: entertainment center rebuild

entertainment center rebuild

Last year for Christmas Santa brought us a smart TV to replace our old big screen. We have an entertainment center from Ethan Allen that fit the old big screen perfectly. Not wanting to get a whole new entertainment center I went to work modifying the old box to handle the smart TV. It started with an empty box.

Then some fitting

Matching the Ethan Allen finish was not easy. 1 coat of GF candlelite and 1 coat of brown mahagony it matched well enough to pass inspection from the wife.

here it is with all the componenets and in place

Just need to add the doors and draw knobs
    Last edited by Mike McCann; 12-21-2014 at 3:07 PM.

Nice save. Great job on matching the finish. Be sure to post pictures of the finished project. Looks like you are in the home stretch.

That worked out well!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

x2 on the color-match. Looks great!

Blog Entries
    Looks great! But I am puzzled about why you decided to add the wall mount hardware. Why not just use the pedestal stand that came with the TV?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Larry

the stand took up too much room plus you could see all the wires. This way all the wires are hidden. Plus it pulls away about a foot which makes it easier to add or move wires.

Larry, the method that Mike used is also significantly safer...too many large TVs are easily toppled over on the "included" bases, injuring kids and pets. I have always wall mounted mine, both for that reason, and for keeping everything hidden as Mike mentions.
    --

Very nice job of fitting, adapting and matching...Good work!!!
    Jerry

Very impressive, worked out nicely.

I'll add another "Wow" comment on your color matching job. Nice work! Looks very clean.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Larry, the method that Mike used is also significantly safer...too many large TVs are easily toppled over on the "included" bases, injuring kids and pets. I have always wall mounted mine, both for that reason, and for keeping everything hidden as Mike mentions.
    Hmm, I don't think I agree with the safety issue you bring up, especially when the TV is surrounded by cabinetry. I guess if it was still a concern, the pedestal could be screwed down, but it takes quite a bump to topple it. Plus, in my situation, we rarely have children in our house. The freestanding pedestal allows for much easier access to the TV connections, it also gives you the ability to swivel the TV a bit to improve the viewing angle for special situations. (We sometimes like to stand in front of the fireplace to warm or tush, swiveling to TV a bit really helps with the viewing angle). Hiding the cables can be managed quite easily with cable ties and run behind the pedestal. Plus, I much prefer the look of the pedestal over the wall mount. I may be in the minority on that one though.

But all of that aside, I totally agree with everyone else, Mike did a great job on the cabinet!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Larry, the swiveling/tilting benefits are not lost with the right mount selection. Both of my wall mounts have vertical plane adjustments. I didn't opt for side to side and the extra cost because that wasn't a factor for our viewing in both our media room and master bedroom, but that choice is readily available. I do understand that a unit in a cabinet may appear to be at less risk for toppling when on it's native pedestal, but these large screens are inherently top-heavy...and one should never underestimate how "instantaneously creative" a stray kid or pet can be! (or an unthinking adult, even...) If you are comfortable with and like the look with the pedestal, that's what counts the most, however.
    --

Blog Entries
    I agree completely with the to each his own thing. My experience is that the pedestal on my TV is very stable and not top heavy at all. The pedestal is weighted and provides a wide stable base. Maybe other brands do not have this feature. (I have a Samsung) I guess it comes down to personal taste. I don't know exactly what it is, but to me a TV mounted on the wall is just wrong.
    Larry J Browning

Larry

the mount I used is not stationary. It can pull out about 18 inches and swivels left to right and tilts up and down.

A Very Nice Redo!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!