Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAW Magazine

AAW Magazine

As a new woodturner, I always look forward to reading the AAW Woodturning magazine when it arrives. But, I have found that most of the articles and galleries are a way over the top for me. I find that many times when I look at the objects, I would have never guessed they were created on a lathe? I realize that every hobby, or every sport has a magazine that has articles of people who push the limits of their interest and I am all for that. But after I read through the AAW magazine, I always ask myself the same question... "Is this what mainstream woodturners are doing?"
    not trying to sound negative, I am just curious if this magazine is really pertinent to the majority of the AAW?

2. You're certainly not the first person to have that feeling.
    Some few years ago a bunch of AAW turners became so disenchanted with what they were calling the "artsy" aspect of what many modern turners are doing that they took off and founded an entirely new organization dedicated to the "brown and round" sensibilities. It was call the Association of Traditional Woodturners or something like that. That's not exactly right, but whatever. They wanted to get back to some kind of idea they had about "purity" in the craft, I guess.
    They declined to show any work that was painted or otherwise embellished, either on or off the lathe. I can't find anything online about them now, so I'm thinking it just never got traction and faded away, but maybe someone has more up to date info on it.

Anyway, the woodturning community is both miles wide and miles deep. There are plenty of turners cranking out utilitarian pieces without any, or very much, additional process other than just the turning. Many turners think of what they do as being closer to "craft" than "art". Some enjoy the work of those who are pushing the limits and some maybe not so much.

It's a diverse activity. The concerns of a production turner cranking out salad sets and pepper grinders to pay the bills are always going to be different than a weekend hobby turner who has a "real job" and maybe sells a few pieces to help feed their tool addiction, and different again from a turner with an arts background who's looking at turning as one process among many as a means to explore emotional expression. There's no small number of artist who might think of themselves as primarily sculptors, but who use turned elements in their assemblies.
    My own work is not especially "artsy", but I've learned a lot about form and proportion and visual expression and design from those whose work is anything but traditional.

It's all good, I reckon.

I can see some merit in the magazine, but kind of like most of what Lady Gaga does (her duet album with Tony Bennett is incredible, who knew she could really sing) it is over my head. I read most of what interests me in about 10 minutes. Woodturning Design filled the hole for most of the rest of the turners, but now it is gone. It needs to be resurrected.

robo hippy

Blog Entries
    I agree with Reed I'am not a member of AAW but I used to buy the magazine at Barnes and noble.
    For what I was interested in it only took a very short time to read I and the cost just wasn't worth it.
    whereas woodturning design would keep my interest almost all the way through the magazine with no problem.
    I think hobby turners like projects that can be completed in a short period of time and the results are right there.
    Just my thoughts.

I have to agree. Even Fine Woodworking has gone beyond what mere mortals are capable of building. There seems to be a wide gap between the basic and the exotic in all types of woodworking. Try a local Woodturning club. Mine seems to cover all abilities and sensibilities.
    Bob

I don't know, I can find beginners articles in every issue. Seems like they are doing a pretty good job of trying to be all things to all people. There are also tons of beginner resources online at the AAW website that are free with your membership.

While there is still an 'art' aspect to the mag, it would not represent the full spectrum if there weren't. I think they heard the complaints as this years issues contained more beginner and intermediate type projects and tips. I do agree that Woodturning Design filled a needed niche and its disappearance was not a function of its failure but rather the failure of the parent company.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I find the magazine a bit too much on the sculptural side, but the AAW is also doing a lot with its fundamental resources that address much more of the funtional aspects of turning. I do think they are trying very hard to address the masses as much as possible. I will say that while it only takes me a few minutes to go thru the online magazine, I usually get an idea or two. While I am not into the sculptural thing, there is always the little technique ideas, the colorization, and other transferable ideas. It is hard to be all things to all people, but unlike FWW, the AAW does have other periodical downloads, etc., that are more of interest to the bulk of turners.

The reality is that there are not enough turners to provide a market for the various niches. Unlike NASCAR, athletic sports, and other broad segments of our hobby/entertainment spectrum, there are probably less than 40,000 active turners in the country. Many of those turn bowls, etc., and just do not have the need nor desire to explore other aspects of turning, or to get into the "art" aspect. The AAW has about 15,000 members. It takes a much larger market base to support a publication. With the dues paid to AAW, I think they do a pretty good job. The lack of a larger potential subscriber base may have been a factor in the demise of Woodturning Design.

My feelings have been expressed in many of the above threads. I occasionally buy American Woodturner but usually there's just not much that peaks my interest.
    Woodturning Design I truly miss.
    (Reed I agree the Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett Cd is great)

John, I'd suggest you also post this on the AAW forum, the folks over there might learn something from the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Edwards View Post
    John, I'd suggest you also post this on the AAW forum, the folks over there might learn something from the discussion.
    That has been done before, even the dead horse didn't listen. I used to recommend AAW to new woodturners, after a few complaints that they felt it was wasted money, I quit recommending they join. The public library is better and it is free. I don't even belong, the art isn't my thing.

Our turning club requires that we belong for insurance purposes such as if you want to host what we call shop crawls. I think it is over the top requirement, that means $30.00 club dues plus $55.00 AAW.

[QUOTE=.

there are probably less than 40,000 active turners in the country[/QUOTE]

Does this number include hobbyists?

Personally, I love American Woodturner and anxiously await every issue. I think they do a good job covering the various areas of turning and as John Keeton correctly points out, there is a wealth of information available to members on the AAW website particularly focused on beginner and more traditional projects. What excites me about the magazine is seeing all the innovative and creative things folks are doing with woodturning that are not easily seen elsewhere. There is no end to the variety of books, videos, etc readily available that are focused on the basics. Anyone interested in woodturning would find AAW membership to be an incredible bargain if they took advantage of all the material they have online.

I think John Keeton has pointed out one of the significant advantages of belonging to AAW that is easily overlooked. And that is the bi monthly digital magazine focused on novice turners. You can't please everyone with every article. I can say that American Woodturner has published six articles of mine in their print edition, all focused at the novice turner. Membership also provides access to all of the back issues in digital form. That is a huge resource!
    God is great and life is good!