Thread: What is this Bing thing on the right side of my screen??

What is this Bing thing on the right side of my screen??

Got something from Bing that keeps popping up on the right side of my screen . Tried every way to get it from popping up, but it keeps coming back like a bad cold. What is it and how do I get rid of it ?

Clarence Martin,

"Bing" is a search engine- like Google. And like Google- and every other search engine, it wants to convince you to use it all the time as the defualt search engine. You didn't mention which browser you're using- Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, etc. but if you play around a bit with the "Bing" window- clicking and right clicking on it and any arrows there, you will probably find there are several search engines "available" - Google, Bing, Amazon, Yahoo, Ebay, Twitter, and so on. You can use this little window and the button thereon to select a default and delete unwanted ones by unchecking and etc.

Alan Caro
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-22-2014 at 6:10 AM.

Blog Entries
    Some l updates for any software free or otherwise.software has other software that gets installed when you do an update unless you un-check the box when you do an update. This often makes changes to your normal settings without you really knowing what happened. Watch closely whenever you install updates to software.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blame Microsoft. Bing is their search engine.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Blame Microsoft. Bing is their search engine.
    Yes, and they know it is so good that you will love how it hangs around all the time like a dog wanting to be scratched.

Go to Google and search > get rid of Bing <. My browser has a search bar next to the URL bar at the top of the screen. When > get rid of Bing < was typed in it auto filled to > get rid of bing search bar <.

So apparently you are not alone.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I installed a software for an HP printer we bought, and the default wanted to install a Bing toolbar - took a little doing to figure out how to install just the things I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Yes, and they know it is so good that you will love how it hangs around all the time like a dog wanting to be scratched.
    Perfect line, Jim.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Install any Adobe applications and they by default install Google Chrome.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

The key to all this is; read everything when installing a program. Uncheck those boxes that by default will install something else. Be it Bing, Chrome, Yahoo toolbar, etc.
    You have to read everything.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I think of it as a type of cancer that infects computers. The fact that Microsoft has to use deception to get you to install/enable it tells you it isn't that desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I think of it as a type of cancer that infects computers. The fact that Microsoft has to use deception to get you to install/enable it tells you it isn't that desirable.
    It isn't just Microsoft. Google does it with Chrome and the Google Toolbar too. McAfee has been doing it with their security software. Almost any time you install something for free from the Internet you have to watch out for the extras that get installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    It isn't just Microsoft. Google does it with Chrome and the Google Toolbar too. McAfee has been doing it with their security software. Almost any time you install something for free from the Internet you have to watch out for the extras that get installed.
    Yep, in spite of what you may have heard, you really should look all those gift horses in the mouth!!

once you know how to avoid the extras then, usually, the program is good. What I do not like are programs that require payment yet still want to install the extra stuff. To me that is trying to take advantage.