Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another humming band saw

Yet another humming band saw

My Delta 14" Band Saw hums instead of cutting.

The capacitor "seems" to be fine it looks good and measures 283 MFD (270-325 MFD) on my capacitance meter (doesn't everyone have one).

With no tension the lower wheel spins freely and the motor spins it freely.

When I put tension on the blade the motor only hums.

There is a lot of tension it "seems" on the blade when I manually try to turn them, they turn but very heavy and make a scrapping sound.

Oh I just got this band saw from a yard sale so I have never had it running.

The Lower Blade Support Bearing looks like it is putting a lot of tension on the blade. It deflects the blade at least 3/8".

I am open to any and all suggestions and words of wisdom, thanks for the help.

Ralph

I'd back off all blade guides. Then spin by hand, centering the blade on the wheels and noting any weird noises and/or resistance. Then try it under power. If that's good then bring the blade guides up to the blade.

The saw blade may not be any good. Look for kinks or if its rusted.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Take the blade off and check the upper and lower bearings too.
    The motor might be dust also.

Confirm that the motor is wired for the voltage you're using--if you've plugged it into 120, make sure it isn't wired for 220. Don't make any assumptions from looking at the plug.
    Chuck Taylor

Does the upper wheel also spin freely? If it does then the guides must be pinching the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Hulslander View Post
    My Delta 14" Band Saw hums instead of cutting

There is a lot of tension it "seems" on the blade when I manually try to turn them, they turn but very heavy and make a scrapping sound.

The Lower Blade Support Bearing looks like it is putting a lot of tension on the blade. It deflects the blade at least 3/8".

Ralph
    If by the last quote you mean the thrust bearing, it should only have pressure on it when wood is advanced into the blade, otherwise it shouldn't deflect at all with the motor just running alone. The side bearings should really just kiss the blade, use a folded dollar to set them next to the blade maybe .003 of an inch or so, their purpose is to keep the blade from twisting during a cut.
    Hope this helps you,
    Kevin

It does sound like it is wired for 220V. Check the wiring diagram and verify this. Do start by backing all the blade guides off, both top and bottom. The Delta guides are a really good design, The lower one gets really close to the table. Some like "Cool Blocks", but I like hard steel or ceramic as they keep the blade clean. Tracking is important. Make sure the teeth are centered on the top wheel when it is running. This is the most important part of tracking.
    CPeter

CPeter

You checked the capacitor, but it could also be dirty contact points or a sticking governor in the starting circuit not allowing the capacitor to become part of the circuit.

CPeter

Blog Entries
    Based on the scraping sound, it is likely that the upper wheel is tilted and pulling the blade back against the wheel housing and blade guard. There is an adjustment screw on the back side of the housing. Adjust the screw so that the upper wheel is exactly vertical and put the blade back on. The blade should track on the upper wheel so that the teeth ride just in front of the crown on the tire. Once you get the blade centered on the upper wheel it should quit rubbing on the wheel housing and blade guard. Then back off all the blade guides and thrust bearings before you put the blade on and tension the blade. Leave them backed off and try running your saw.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Wow thanks everyone for the help.

Hopefully today or tomorrow I'll get to the bandsaw to see what I can do.

Thanks again,

Ralph

Ok, I plumbed the top wheel, which was way off.

I backed off the lower bearing and the guides!

Turned the saw on and it ran great, well after I remembered to put the capacitor back in place.

So my blade is running in the center of the wheel and is begging to cut some wood.

Now how do I align the lower bearing and the guide?

Lower Bearing.jpg Lower Bearing figure 31.jpgLower Bearing User Guide.jpg

The instructions Band Saw Part Manual 0626 which are from a re-publisher on ebay.

The bearing is at least 3/8" in front of the blade. I have no idea what #3 is talking about.

The knurled knob moves the bearing left and right not front and back.

Also I do not see any screws in #1, probable these instructions are not exactly the same as for my saw, but they are close.

So, very patiently please, would some one walk me through setting the lower bearing and guide.

Thank you,

Ralph

Last edited by Ralph Hulslander; 12-24-2014 at 4:49 PM.

Blog Entries
    Your guides look just like the ones on my Delta 14" BS. There are two tapered knurled knobs under the front of the table. One moves the blade guides the other moves the thrust bearing. With the blade running true with the teeth just in front of the crown on the upper wheel. Move the bearing so that is is touching the back of the blade, then back it off just slightly (maybe 1/32"). Adjust the blade guide blocks to that a dollar will fit between the guide block and one side of the blade. The front edge of the blocks should be just even with the bottom of the gullets on your blade. Do the same for the guides and bearing above the table.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

"Move the bearing so that is is touching the back of the blade,"

The bearing does not move to the "back" of the blade. It moves left to right not front to back.

You can see the 3/8" offset in the blade to bearing, the blade is either on the bearing or completely off there is no "ba
    ck off slightly".

Again tha
    nks for the help but I really cannot follow your instructions.

The guides I understand and can set them easily, they move left to right.

I'll look at the top bearing maybe I can get a better idea of your instructions.

I said you'd have to be patient.

Is the Lower bearing a thrust bearing and not a roller bearing?

Is the "back of the blade" opposite the teeth, and that goes against the side of the bearing (backed off a bit).

That I can see and do.

Thanks again for the help, sorry but I have zero experience with a band saw and flunked out of all of my shop classes +50 years ago.
    Last edited by Ralph Hulslander; 12-25-2014 at 7:00 PM.

Sometimes a youtube video is worth a thousand words. It might be worth going to youtube and searching for something like "setting up a bandsaw" or "setting bandsaw guides". There might be some bad info in one or two but if you watch a few of them, watch for common or repeated advice. Alex Snodgrass from Carter gets pretty good reviews on setting up a 14" bandsaw.