Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet another humming band saw

I have not heard a humming bandsaw since TED MACK'S ORIGINAL AMATEUR HOUR was inexplicably cancelled.

The Alex Snodgrass video is great. Of course he is no working on a Delta Band Saw but I see that the bearings are thrust bearings running back of blade to side of bearing.

Now is the top bearing a thrust bearing also? The bearing and guides lineup as if the bearing is a roller bearing.

The instructions in the User Manual are really confusing.

Upper Bearing.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Hulslander View Post
    Now is the top bearing a thrust bearing also? The bearing and guides lineup as if the bearing is a roller bearing.

The instructions in the User Manual are really confusing.

Upper Bearing.jpg
    The upper guides work the same way as the lower guides. The bearing touches the back edge of the blade. It acts as a thrust bearing keeping the blade from moving away from the pressure of the wood being pushed into the blade.

Here are some photos of my saw's guides.

IMG_0259.jpg
    This is a view of the lower thrust bearing and blade guides.
    IMG_0260.jpg
    These are the adjusting knobs for the lower thrust bearing and blade guides. The upper knob moves the thrust bearing toward the front of the table or to the back. The lower knob does the same for the blade guides.
    IMG_0258.jpg
    These are the upper blade guides and thrust bearing.
    IMG_0261.jpg
    The knurled knobs adjust the guides and thrust bearing. There are thumb screws on the opposite side that lock the slides in place.
    IMG_0262.jpg
    The light blue tape is a shim that I recently added to take out some of the play side to side in the blade guides. Once I am satisfied with where it is at I will trim the tape.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-26-2014 at 1:58 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Wow thanks Lee, complete with pictures!!

The lower bearing matches and I see it functioning as a thrust bearing there is at least 3/8" inset on the face of the bearing.

The upper bearing has only a 1/16" inset on the upper bearing outer ring. This seems like it would be pushed off onto the width of the outer ring.

I can tell from the gunk built up on the width of the outer ring that the upper bearing has been run as a roller bearing, but I will try
    it as a thrust bearing as you have it.

Yes Mel it "was" humming, and you are dating yourself referencing to Ted Mack's Amature Hour which I also watched in much simpler times.

Upper Bearing2.jpg