Thread: Once more into the breech....Ridgid R4512

Once more into the breech....Ridgid R4512

Since beginning my research into the latest and greatest machines to re-outfit my shop, I continue to run across the Ridgid R4512 as a contender for the bang for the buck saw.

I have, and am reading reviews all over the place on this saw. The blade alignment issue seems to be the only complaint.

Since most all the complaints date back a ways, I am wondering if Emmerson, or whomever, has adressed the alignment design flaw? Has there been any scuttlebutt to this effect? Have any of my fellow creekers recently purchased this saw with out any alignment drama? Could I safely add this saw into the mix as a possible candidate for the center ring of the circus that my new shop will be?

Any real world experiences, advice, and direction regarding this saw is most appreciated.

J.
    Last edited by John McBride; 12-22-2014 at 7:04 PM. Reason: for fumble fingers spelling

JUST found this

There is some info on LumberJocks

Starting at post #16

Just thought I would share......AND......demonstrate that I do, indeed, actually do some research. Sorry for posting prematurely....LOL
    Last edited by Bill Huber; 12-23-2014 at 11:40 AM.

I have an older model TS3612 that I purchased brand new that has long been my favorite tool. I have found it to be accurate, easy to set up, plenty of power. Mine has the web style wings. That is something I don't care for all that much. Otherwise its been great. I really like the lift/foot jack and casters to move it easily.

John--i took a shot on the Craftsman version of that saw (model 21833) two years ago (January 2013), when rumor was strong that there had been a fix but there was still some old stock. Unpacked carefully, dreading that i might need to return it. Was spot on out of the box, still is. Compared it strongly to the R4512, as i really would have preferred the Lifetime Service Agreement (LSA) on the Ridgid. Three things tipped the scale to Sears:
    1. 15 amp motor vs. 13 amp motor (i never look at Craftsman "horsepower" ratings--amps are amps)
    2. Dado insert included vs. not included on Ridgid
    3. Money--the C-man listed at $50 or so more than Ridgid, but with a sale price, a coupon for money off and a percentage off deal, i stuffed most of the box into the back of my coupe for something around $330, best Home Depot would do at that time was $475 if i recall. To get that price, i had to buy it online from the mall parking lot, walking into the store was like $600 or so. Same saw--go figure.

Been a good saw. I didn't like the split rail on the fence, but i bought with the intent to add an aftermarket fence. Very good change--and now that i've got the Incra (substitute your fence of choice), it's staying with me as i don't view it as part of the saw. I did try the stock fence for a time--okay, but i'd not give it more than okay. Motor--8/4 ash and walnut are tough and slow. 4/4 almost anything cuts fine on a clean blade in good condition. Probably not a "lifetime" saw for me, but it was a needed step up that was affordable at the time. Don't get me wrong, i'm in no hurry to swap, but if the right deal comes along i'll look at it.

More directly, other than that one mention on LJ, i have not seen or heard any conclusive word of a change, but i've not seen it brought up as a new problem in quite a while either.

Tough decision to make when you shop--i'm glad i don't have to do that right now (but i sure WISH i was doing that right now!!) Good luck.
    earl

I've had the 4512 for 2+ years now. It was dead on out of the box and has stayed that way. I really have no complaints about the saw whatsoever. I've worked it hard with lots of projects. One of the projects was a full kitchen remodel including building all the cabinets, a corner china hutch, and a rolling island. The lifetime warranty is a bonus as well.

Like Curt, I've had mine for over 2 years with no problems. Blade to miter was dead on. Fence, minor adjustments, Miter gauge is junk, I replaced it with an Incra 1000HD. The HD store took a 20% off Harbor Freight coupon so it was under $400. Woodcraft has Leecraft Zero Clearance and Dado inserts that are great.
    - Mike

Just posted on this same subject, see link below.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...estion-(r4512)

Just to chime in on this. I have an older version of this saw and it has been fantastic for many many years. I have not had one single issue with it. Good luck with your purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    John--i took a shot on the Craftsman version of that saw (model 21833) two years ago (January 2013), when rumor was strong that there had been a fix but there was still some old stock. Unpacked carefully, dreading that i might need to return it. Was spot on out of the box, still is. Compared it strongly to the R4512, as i really would have preferred the Lifetime Service Agreement (LSA) on the Ridgid. Three things tipped the scale to Sears:
    1. 15 amp motor vs. 13 amp motor (i never look at Craftsman "horsepower" ratings--amps are amps)
    2. Dado insert included vs. not included on Ridgid
    3. Money--the C-man listed at $50 or so more than Ridgid, but with a sale price, a coupon for money off and a percentage off deal, i stuffed most of the box into the back of my coupe for something around $330, best Home Depot would do at that time was $475 if i recall. To get that price, i had to buy it online from the mall parking lot, walking into the store was like $600 or so. Same saw--go figure.

Been a good saw. I didn't like the split rail on the fence, but i bought with the intent to add an aftermarket fence. Very good change--and now that i've got the Incra (substitute your fence of choice), it's staying with me as i don't view it as part of the saw. I did try the stock fence for a time--okay, but i'd not give it more than okay. Motor--8/4 ash and walnut are tough and slow. 4/4 almost anything cuts fine on a clean blade in good condition. Probably not a "lifetime" saw for me, but it was a needed step up that was affordable at the time. Don't get me wrong, i'm in no hurry to swap, but if the right deal comes along i'll look at it.

More directly, other than that one mention on LJ, i have not seen or heard any conclusive word of a change, but i've not seen it brought up as a new problem in quite a while either.

Tough decision to make when you shop--i'm glad i don't have to do that right now (but i sure WISH i was doing that right now!!) Good luck.
    earl
    Earl, thanks for the reply. I tried to paste the link to the lumber jocks site, but was reminded that that was verboten. In any case there is supposed to have been some sort of modification to the saws starting in .... I think ......2011 or 2013 maybe?