Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Difference in features on big lathes worth it or not? 3520B vs Robust

David (the OP) asked about the difference between the Sweet 16 and the 3520B - for the most part, we've been discussing the merits of the AB - not a fair comparison lathe to lathe, but the Sweet 16 has it's own feature set in addition to the intangibles that Robust offers. Stainless ways, the ability to remove the bed section for greater swing (32" total over the ways) and easy extension of the ways for longer spindles. On the other hand, you're giving up a sliding headstock and the ability to fit a tilt-away for the tailstock.
    I'd have to ask myself if American made, better build quality and the best customer service on the planet is enough...with that said, the difference in price between the Sweet 16 and the AB25 is only $700. I'd go for the American Beauty...again.

How much is the AB all done ?

Rick - "all done" is a moveable feast, so to speak. The pricesheet for everything is available online (www.turnrobust.com)

My American Beauty was delivered on Dec.8. I went from a Delta 46-460 to it. I had planned all year to buy a 3520B and decided last moment to go ahead and get the Robust. I have roughed out approx. 50 bowls and cored them all in the last couple of weeks and I don't have anything bad to say about the machine. It is exactly as advertised . I could probably do everything I need to on the 3520b, but I know I can on this machine. There is no upgrade that I know of and it will last the rest of my days( I am 37 ). It probably boils down to how much you will use it and whether or not it generates some cash. Like the others I do not regret the purchase.

My Sweet Sixteen was delivered a couple months ago. I have never used the 3520 so can't compare directly but I can say that I am very happy with the Robust tool. I have an assortment of brands for my stationary tools, Delta Unisaw and drill press, Powermatic mortiser, jointer, 20" planer, Grizzzly edge sander, Laguna bandsaw, etc. and I can find little things on each that aren't quite perfect and could be better but not with the Robust lathe. It is so well built. It is hard to describe subjective things like how a tool feels but the locking levers for instance operate so smoothly with just the right amount of travel. If you appreciate superb fit and finish you'll love it.

For bowl turning I wouldn't buy a lathe that didn't have either outboard capability or a sliding headstock; I turned a ton on a packed up (to 19") Rockwell 1460 so I know it can be done but having the bed in the way is a total p.i.a., i.m.o.

Thank you so much for all of the great responses. I was on the fence between the 2, but now am unfortunately unable to spend the amount that I was allowed

Regardless, great advice and great posts. I still hope one day to get an American Beauty or Powermatic 3520B, but for now its no dice.

Now it's down to either the Jet 1642evs 1.5HP (15% off at woodcraft) or the Nova DVR XP lathe 1.75HP ($1999).

Thank you so much,

David
    Life is a gift, not a guarantee.

Watch for the Nova to go on sale

Sorry to hear that your project got defunded. If you want the DVR and can afford to wait, I think the price is substantially lower when they go on sale. If you do a search here, you can probably get a sense of the sale prices and maybe the timing of the sales. I have no experience with either of the lathes you are looking at now, so can't help with that. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    Sorry to hear that your project got defunded. If you want the DVR and can afford to wait, I think the price is substantially lower when they go on sale. If you do a search here, you can probably get a sense of the sale prices and maybe the timing of the sales. I have no experience with either of the lathes you are looking at now, so can't help with that. Good luck!

Thanks Jon. The only thing that scares me about the DVR is reading about it being a direct drive motor and if it goes bad it's not just a matter of replacing the motor but the whole headstock...if I heard correctly.

Woodcraft has them for $1999.99 right now and the Jets are 15% off this Saturday and Sunday. This purchase has to last me many years. I'm sure that they are both good lathes, but I'd like to get it right as my middle name seems to be "lemon" more times than not Decisions, decisions.

Thanks Jon.

David

p.s. I was also told that I'll want that sliding headstock feature on the Jet, which the DVR doesn't have. I assume that one also needs to purchase an outboard tool rest (or make one?) which means more cash. Again, decisions, decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cramer View Post
    Thanks Jon. The only thing that scares me about the DVR is reading about it being a direct drive motor and if it goes bad it's not just a matter of replacing the motor but the whole headstock...if I heard correctly.

Woodcraft has them for $1999.99 right now and the Jets are 15% off this Saturday and Sunday. This purchase has to last me many years. I'm sure that they are both good lathes, but I'd like to get it right as my middle name seems to be "lemon" more times than not Decisions, decisions.

Thanks Jon.

David

David - the purpose of the sliding headstock is to allow the user to stand facing the work while at the end of the lathe. This eliminates reaching over the ways when hollowing a bowl. While you can buy a separate system to allow you to turn larger items off the end of the lathe - the basic lathe uses the same banjo, etc - just allows you comfort while turning. So, no extra equipment required!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    David - the purpose of the sliding headstock is to allow the user to stand facing the work while at the end of the lathe. This eliminates reaching over the ways when hollowing a bowl. While you can buy a separate system to allow you to turn larger items off the end of the lathe - the basic lathe uses the same banjo, etc - just allows you comfort while turning. So, no extra equipment required!

Thanks Steve So unless they are bigger than the ways, you can still bring it to the end and use your banjo...I got it and thanks for the explanation I'm a lefty, forced righty, and would surely benefit from bringing it to the end of the lathe.

David

p.s. One day I'll get that American Beauty, but it will be another decade or so

Blog Entries
    If you're a lefty, just turn the lathe around and reverse the motor direction.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by David Cramer View Post
    Thank you so much for all of the great responses. I was on the fence between the 2, but now am unfortunately unable to spend the amount that I was allowed

Regardless, great advice and great posts. I still hope one day to get an American Beauty or Powermatic 3520B, but for now its no dice.

Now it's down to either the Jet 1642evs 1.5HP (15% off at woodcraft) or the Nova DVR XP lathe 1.75HP ($1999).

Thank you so much,

David
    David, well, since you're back in the hunt at a significantly lower price point, take a look at Roger Chandler's two threads on the new Grizzly G0766. No one here has had a chance to kick the tires yet, but there seems to be a lot of interest at the introductory price of $1550.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...lathe-Ordered!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...rade-possible!

David