Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LV Plow Plane... OPINIONS?

LV Plow Plane... OPINIONS?

With the free shipping event from Lee Valley, I'm considering spending the last of my Christmas bonus on the small plow plane with all the accessories. For those of you that own one, is it a solid performer? Would you buy it again or is there another brand to look at?

Just trying to step away from the router table, that screaming meanie that resides in the corner of the shop......

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Not sure if this is kosher, but Derek Cohen has a review on his website that offers a good look at the plane.

I own a Stanley 45, and also bought the LV plow plane when I had some extra money. For plowing, it's faster to set up than the 45 (possibly because I have the fence permanently mounted on the LV, but not on the Stanley). Yes, it's a solid performer. If you're needing a plow plane, you can't go wrong with this tool.

Although Lee Valley has added accessories allowing beading as well, a Stanley 45 will still have more capability; but you need to get an example in good shape in order for it to work well. Many 45s are kind of beat up.

I LOVE mine. Id buy it again for sure.

Consider getting at least a couple additional blade sizes. In addition to the 1/4" that comes with it, Ive found the 1/8" to be useful on small box work.

Just to add to an earlier post, Derek Cohen's website is "In the Workshop".

Enjoy!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-23-2014 at 12:22 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Although Lee Valley has added accessories allowing beading as well, a Stanley 45 will still have more capability; but you need to get an example in good shape in order for it to work well. Many 45s are kind of beat up.
    Bill -- Are you referring to the conversion kit for the LV Plow plane? I tried some beading cutters from a 45 and did not have much luck using the conversion kit and Stanley beading cutters. Have you had success making beads?

I have and use the LV plow as a plow, but haven't used the additional gee-gaws. It works wonderfully.

It's only drawback for me is that the small metal piece/bracket on the bottom of the handle is not sold separately.
    I'd like to have a few to try making a new handle without wrecking the old one.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Blog Entries
    No comment on the LV Plow Plane since one has never been in my hands.

I can say my electric router sits unused since my hand powered plow planes have better than replaced that screaming monster.

In my opinion you would likely be happy once you get to using it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Nickerson View Post
    I have and use the LV plow as a plow, but haven't used the additional gee-gaws. It works wonderfully.

It's only drawback for me is that the small metal piece/bracket on the bottom of the handle is not sold separately.
    I'd like to have a few to try making a new handle without wrecking the old one.
    If you desire to try this, you can call LV customer service and ask for a quote on just the parts you need sold separately. The worst they can say is 'Sorry, we can't do that'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ranck View Post
    Not sure if this is kosher, but Derek Cohen has a review on his website that offers a good look at the plane.
    I'll take a wild guess. Derek thinks this LV product is the cat's pajamas, right?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    I'll take a wild guess. Derek thinks this LV product is the cat's pajamas, right?
    Spot on Kent! Howd you know?

(Aside: Like many of us, I value Derek's advice.)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bjorgen View Post
    Bill -- Are you referring to the conversion kit for the LV Plow plane? I tried some beading cutters from a 45 and did not have much luck using the conversion kit and Stanley beading cutters. Have you had success making beads?
    Only with my Stanley 45. I bought the LV plow long before the conversion kit, and, since I own a 45, see no need to buy the kit (also, I'm not doing the consulting work I was when I bought the plow, and am watching the pennies more closely).

I have one, and it's a great tool. For what it's worth, I had a right handed one, for a variety of reasons, I sold it, largely cause using it severely worsened the neuropathy in my right hand, a problem, that, as far as I can tell, is "unique" to me.

Before long, I realized what a mistake that was. So I saved my pennies, and bought a left handed one, learned to use it with my off hand, and use it with a pulling motion as well.

I have sold my routers and router bits. And my router table. Which, of course, were murder on my hands.

I am now happy again. Seriously, it's a great tool.
    Paul

I have thought about purchasing a modern plow, just to give my wooden plows a run for their money, but I've been waiting for the introduction of the LN version... which should be available any day now... hopefully
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I have several Stanley 45's, a Record 43 and the LV plow. The LV plow is the easiest to set-up and use for plowing. Now don't take this to mean that it is better than a wooden plow, and I would defer to a comparison of the two types to someone with the handtool experience of Zach!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Just to add to an earlier post, Derek Cohen's website is "In the Workshop".

The link is actually www.inthewoodshop.com

There are two reviews involving the Small Plow ..

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/The%20Veritas%20Small%20Plow%20Plane.html

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/AccessoryBladesfortheVeritasSmallPlow.html

Bearing in mind that I have a wonderful plough plane I built and that works very well, it is high praise that I first reach for the LV.

Regards from Perth

Derek