Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LV Plow Plane... OPINIONS?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    I have several Stanley 45's, a Record 43 and the LV plow. The LV plow is the easiest to set-up and use for plowing. Now don't take this to mean that it is better than a wooden plow, and I would defer to a comparison of the two types to someone with the handtool experience of Zach!
    Bah. I am biased, pigheaded, and stubborn. It would have to be light years better than the woodies tonmakr me admit that something not from the period is actually better than something that is. Candles, vellum, leeches, and blistering to remove St. Anthony's fire for all!

/obvious sarcasm... many of my hand tools are incorrect for the period I work in. Call the Lynch mob if you must, but you can have my LN 9 when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Once again, thanks for your input and experience!

Last night i ordered the left hand package with all the Imperial blades, wide blade adapter and the roll to hold the blades. It took me over an hour to place the order as i kept looking for some $20 or $30 item to add on but managed to control myself.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hale View Post
    Once again, thanks for your input and experience!

Last night i ordered the left hand package with all the Imperial blades, wide blade adapter and the roll to hold the blades. It took me over an hour to place the order as i kept looking for some $20 or $30 item to add on but managed to control myself.

Brian
    Ill bet you like it! After you try it out a bit, drop us a follow-on post and let us know.

Here is a perhaps more impartial review than some you may find around here: http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/smallplow.html Her reviews are quite thorough and entertaining. She was not overly impressed.

I have owned two of these planes from LV. I sold the first one and repurchased another, as the one I really want is not yet available and I needed to make grooves. It's a good tool, but I find it rather small in the hand and the depth stop is inadequate for the purpose, as it does not reliably hold a setting. I sometimes wear stretchy mechanic's gloves when using this type of plane, to prevent hand fatigue. A good add-on fence helps make the LV plow easier to hold and control. It does what it is supposed to, but seems pricey for what you get.

Oh, and by the way, make the mod that Derek suggests, and slot the screw for the depth stop so you can tighten it with a flat blade screwdriver. Makes tightening much easier. Did the same on my moving fillister. Seriously great tool.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    . It's a good tool, but I find it rather small in the hand and the depth stop is inadequate for the purpose, as it does not reliably hold a setting. I sometimes wear stretchy mechanic's gloves when using this type of plane, to prevent hand fatigue.
    I also get sore hands quite easily myself from repetitive hand work, but now I rarely "grip" mine at all when using it. Rather, I push the handle with my palm/web and do not close my hand completely around the handle and use my opposite hand to square the fence to the piece. I find now I never have a hand fatigue issue using this tool, and the size is not an issue at all to it's performance. The thing always performs flawlessly for me.

Might be worth a try if you haven't given that a go yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    I'll take a wild guess. Derek thinks this LV product is the cat's pajamas, right?
    Which ones has he like that he should not have?

Where are your tool reviews?
    AKA - "The human termite"