Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Help with Lock Miter Bit Issue

Cutting these joints certainly requires keeping your wits about you, and being very methodical, marking stuff up etc. It's one task where every move must be considered, as what's required is not always obviously intuitive. It's probably the case too that it's one of the few scenarios where it's necessary to be right on the nail with multiple dimensions.

The sled is a little extra trouble, but actually not that much - and the point is that the basic 90 deg chassis has potentially all sorts of uses when fitted with different work holding and securing bits. Even cutting for tenons on the table saw etc.

I can't imagine what odd angle mitre lock cutters might look like Alan - it'd take sitting down with a pencil and paper to figure it out. Perhaps two cutters one above the other, but in one piece or something like that?

I was pleasantly surprised Mel at just how tear out resistant the shaper cutter is compared to a router table - the ply i was working in above was actually pretty poor quality Eastern stuff. It was able to cross grain cut right to a sharp knife edge without problems.

Just as well as it turned out. I started out thinking (but not knowing if it was important or not) that it might be an option to get the cutter set up with zero clearance in both the ply insert ring i made for the shaper table, and the ply false fence. It's possible, but difficult - it requires sneaking up to and arriving at the horizontal and vertical settings from one side only. Overshoot and have to go back and you immediately have clearance. Luckily it (or at least the minor amount i ended up with) didn't seem to matter a lot...
    Last edited by ian maybury; 01-05-2015 at 2:45 PM.