Thread: Shopsabre 4896 vs Multicam 1000

Question Shopsabre 4896 vs Multicam 1000

Hey everyone. New member looking for some info/advice. I've been lurking through threads and the info is overwhelming. Need to make a decision by Monday for a cnc router. Currently have quotes for the multicam 1000 and shopsabre 4896, budget of around $50k. The multicam is more expensive and seems to have less than the shopsabre, but the multicam has local support and provides 2 days of onsite training. This will be our first cnc router, although I have operated a plasmacam previously. Looking for real world advice from users of both machines. Any answers to the questions below would be appreciated.

• Are they 2 machines on the same level or am I comparing apples to oranges?
    • The multicam has a rack/pinion whereas the shopsabre has a ball screw setup. Both salesman give reasons why each is better. From your experience, which is better?
    • We only have single phase power in our unit. Anyone have experience with phase converters for the vacuum pump? Will a single phase vacuum pump still suffice for holding down smaller sheets if necessary? How small?
    • How often do these machines require support/service?
    • Enroute vs Vectric? Preferences? We use Flexisign now for our vinyl cutting and Enroute looks to have a similar interface, but is more expensive. Is it worth the extra money?
    • Anyone have any bad experiences with either company? I've searched and seems I can only find some bad posts on Multicam.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide and Happy holidays!

I would look at the diameter of the ballscrews. At that length in the Y there is chance of whip of the screws at any real speed. If they are thin I would go rack and pinion. If they are thick the ball screws may be more precise. Look at the rated speeds for jogging as well and cutting speeds with buts in the material.

A good RPC converter will drive the vacuum pump no problem provided you have the capacity to add the circuit you need for the RPC.

How large a panel, its material, your choice in bed material and spoilboard material will determine how large a vacuum pump you need to accomplish your goal. I can easily hold down 12X18 hardwood sucking through a piece of 1/4" LDF with a vaccuum pump I made using a FPZ 3hp regenerative blower vacuum pump and 2" PVC.

Vectric software is super simple to use and great for a router. I have not used Enroute.

I use a rack and pinion 52X62X8 machine I built - all steel and alum - 3hp spindle VFD controlled via modbos and a the vac system I mentioned. I have not used the two machines you mention. Bunch of cammaster folks here and a couple pro machine owners but 50K is steep for this crowd at the homeshop level. Many experienced folks here though so hopefully you get a reader who uses that class of machine. I would try woodweb as a source for info too.

Sorry I cannot be more help. I would slow down on the decision though - TONS of machines out there in that price range and you may be able to get a far better machine for less coin! Id consider the plan for 4th axis capability with that coin tool.

What spindles are you looking at with the machines and with tool holder type?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Steven, assuming you are going to use the machine for high production the MultiCam is a much sturdier built machine (just going by what I see from the pictures and videos on the ShopSabre website), I have owned 2 of the 3000 series MultiCams going on 12 years with daily use and very minimal downtime. I also use Enroute pro 3d, it is very expensive but you can do some pretty amazing things with it. Vectric seems to be an excellent program for the money and I'm sure it would serve you well, there is a much better user support base for it than Enroute. Check out the websites and see which one fits you the best.
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

Hope you have not ruled out looking at the CAMaster Cobra ATC, Price range and all capacity is in your budget and needs along with one heck of a large forum support group..

camheads.org

www.camaster.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-10-2015 at 4:42 PM. Reason: Removed active forum link per TOS

Steven, I can't help with the decision on your machine choice, but I can help with your vacuum question. I currently run a 220V/3phase 8.5 hp dual-stage regen blower on a small format gantry machine in my garage. I do this with the use of a VFD which is 220V input (2 110V legs input to the VFD) and output is 220V/3phase. The trick is you need a 3ph pump motor which can be wired to run in this voltage range, as some larger motors cannot. The manufacturer where I purchased mine did not offer this motor as a standard but gladly produced it for a small extra fee. By using the VFD, you can start, stop and even control the motor speed without the use of a motor starter. I vary my pump between 50hz and 60hz which is 4-5 in hg difference in vacuum and safe for the motor. The pump starts and runs very smoothly and supposedly a VFD is much more efficient than a rotary phase converter with the added benefit of full control through the VFD input panel. I have extended my VFD control panel and placed it at my machine control station through the use of a standard Cat5 ethernet cable. Best of luck with your machine choice and hope this helps...

If you haven't bought have you considered a good used machine?

Here is one listed on Wood Web........ ( just saw it listed fairly close to my location........ not associated with nor have I physically looked at this machine )

You can't find many more machines more commercial than this brand..... Dead Link Removed
    There are a number of other offerings if you look around at far less money as well.

Blessings,

Kevin
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-01-2015 at 7:30 AM.

Hey Steven
    I'm also buying my first CNC but my budget was a little smaller.

I have decided to go with Shop Sabre. American made machines and family business. Good track record. But more than anything the machine is highly upgradable.I am starting with the base model 4896. At a later date I can add ATC and vacuum pump as well as a bunch of accessories. After a lot of research I went with Shop Sabre and I am anxiously awaiting delivery.

Good luck.

Dan

Thanks everyone, we went with the Shopsabre 4896 for the main reason of getting more options for our money. Hopefully the machine does not need service often or have any issues out of the gate. Won't get the machine till late Feb or early March, but that gives us some time to get the electrical work and dust collector setup.

Have you been working with the the software yet? Are you sticking with V Carve pro or trying something else?
    I've been looking into Mozaik.
    Stay in touch. What options did you end up getting?

Dan