Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder or Bullnose? Most bang for the buck!

Shoulder or Bullnose? Most bang for the buck!

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=500 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>

<TD vAlign=top align=left><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=Callout vAlign=top></TD><TD class=Description width=220></TD></TR><TR><TD class=Callout vAlign=top></TD><TD class=Description width=220></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Hey all,

Though I don't use hand planes a lot, I really find myself using them for cleanup and quick tasks.

I'd like to purchase a plane to clean up M&T joints as well as others. I've settled on the Veritas family of planes and am wondering which of the following two planes will give me the most functionality (and value) for the money.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=500 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left><TD vAlign=top align=left><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=Callout vAlign=top>D. </TD><TD class=Description width=220>Veritas® Medium Shoulder Plane</TD></TR><TR><TD class=Callout vAlign=top>E. </TD><TD class=Description width=220>Veritas® Bullnose Plane

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Thanks in advance,

-joe

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Hey Joe!

Putting many miles on the LV MS plane.
    Great tool!
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 07-20-2005 at 7:31 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

The bullnose plane is NOT for tenons. Lack of a nose makes for inaccurate work. Think about how much fun it would be to smooth with a chisel plane.....
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

A bull nose plane cannot substitue very well for a shoulder plane.

Given the tasks you listed a shoulder plane would be more appropriate.

I haven't used the Veritas bull nose plane, but in general bull nose planes are much more quirky than a shoulder planes

Technically a shoulder plane shouldn't be used for trimming cheeks, but I found that you can use it for this task if you are lazy like me and don't bother to pick up a separate tool.

If you do a lot more cheek work than tennon shoulder work, you may want to consider the large shoulder plane as it is a bit wider and works better on tennon cheeks, but the trade off is that is is a bit harder to control for tennon shoulder.

One possibility is to buy both, and return the one you don't like as much. Lee Valley in particular has a no questions asked garuntee and they even pay return shipment if you don't keep it. I know woodcraft has a similar policy with LN, but I don't know about all the LN resellers.

If possible you should see if someone near you has both so you can try both amed and large shoulder plane and see which one is better for you.

This is just MHO so take it for what it's worth. I've got the Stanley #93 shoulder plane (6-1/2" long 1" Wide vs LV's 7" x 0.7"). I do use it some for trimming tenons, but find the size of it a bit clumsy to use - at least for the tenon sizes I typically make. It just seems a bit too big for working on any tenons much narrower than maybe 2". My own particular bullnose plane isn't all that great (I'm sure LV's is better) but size-wise it does seem easier to use. Honestly what I find myself using the most is a 2" wide chisel and just light paring cuts.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard
    ...I've got the Stanley #93 shoulder plane ....It just seems a bit too big for working on any tenons much narrower than maybe 2". ..
    Doug, try the Stanley #92. This is 3/4" wide and much more user friendly. My other shoulder plane in this size is the HNT Gordon, which is as pretty as it is good.

Joe, I have not used the LV range of shoulder planes, but everyone raves about them. As mentioned above, forget the bullnose plane. It is not suitable for trimming tenons. I have the Stanley #90, and it is one of my least-used planes.

Regards from Perth

Derek

7. Take a look at Lie Nielsen's "Rabbet Block Plane" which is a low angle (12 degrees) and works, at least for me, as a combination low angle and sholder plane. Real handy for trimming tennons. I got it on sale for $135 and its the first plane I ever bought at retail, and I don't regret it at all.

Rich.

I'll add my vote for the shoulder plane. I don't think the bull nose would work as well for the tasks you listed. I love my LV medium shoulder. Very handy for cleaning up and fine tuning joints.

Wendell

Course the Clifton 3110 3 in 1 combination plane is much more versatile since its a chisel plane a bullnose and a nice, but smallish, shoulder plane. 1" or so wide, very easy to handle and very surprisingly there is not much compromise to get a multi-tool.

I have no affiliation with either a seller or this manufacturer. Just a very satisfied and surprised owner. I bought it when I needed all 3 types of plane and could afford 1. I now have a real nice old Record 073 too and its almost equal to that as a shoulder plane but smaller and easier to control on small shoulders etc. It leaves a little to be desired as a chisel plane but I have nothing to compare that against.

I expected to own it for a year or two until I could afford to replace with a 073, a bullnose and maybe a chisel plane but its way to useful to have around.

Choices, choices, choices.

John
    Last edited by John Keeling; 07-20-2005 at 4:51 PM. Reason: correction

Clifton 3 in 1 would be more appropriate to do both tasks.

Dan Clermont

I have the Veritas medium shoulder plane and it will work well for both applications and is a pleasure to use. Additionally, if memory serves me correctly was recently reviewed in one of the woodworking mags and was ranked best overall against several of the others that have been mentioned in this thread.

Chris

Thanks everyone for your responses - always valued information at SMC.

It would seem that the shoulder plane wins! I did check on the 3-in-1, but it's a bit too expensive for me.

Thanks again,
    -joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I have the LV Mediumm Shoulder....it is a wonderful size for most work and very controlable. Even though much of the furniture I make is very large...it is still the best choice and my larger LN Shoulder , which seems almost too big , is on the sidelines...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    I have the LV Mediumm Shoulder....it is a wonderful size for most work and very controlable. Even though much of the furniture I make is very large...it is still the best choice and my larger LN Shoulder , which seems almost too big , is on the sidelines...
    You're giving me something to think about, Mark. I was just about to pull the trigger on buying the larger LV Shoulder Plane, thinking it would serve me better than the medium. I don't make many large M&T joints, so maybe I would be better off with the medium. Of course, I'll probably end up with both of them!

I use a LN 60 1/2R for most of my tennon fitting. wonderful plane.