Thread: Did Lie-Nielsen quit packing their planes in sealed plastic bags?

Did Lie-Nielsen quit packing their planes in sealed plastic bags?

Did Lie-Nielsen quit shipping their planes in sealed blue plastic bags or did highland hardware sell me a return or a demonstrator as new?
    I thought LN packed everything in the blue rust inhibitor bags. My wife bought me a 4 1/2 for Christmas that was just wrapped in newsprint and a paper rust sheet. This is not how I remember the block plane I bought be packed, but that was a number of years ago. I need to look at it more closely to see if the brownish tint in some places is rust or just the packing oil dis coloring. I really don't know why this is bugging me so much. Maybe since I watched the Cosman Woodcraft video where he set up a 4 1/2 where he cuts the plane out of the blue bag, or maybe since I have been hemming and hawing on this plane for years trying to justify the cost.
    The other weird thing was that it was shipped in a food company box(outer box, inner was LN box)

John. Who wishes he knew why this is bugging him so much

Hey John,

Merry Christmas! All of the LN's tools I have purchased whether from LN direct or a dealer have been packaged in brown paper with a paper rust sheet, so that's been for few years now.

All have mine have been (wife has been working her way through the LN catalog for over a decade now), except for one. That one was a 60-1/2 block plane, ordered through WC. No blue plastic, but rust ban paper wrap, that had been on and off. There were also a few spots of beginning rust, like someone had sneezed on the plane.

Everything else was typical of LN quality and since I use my plane, about five minutes of 2000 grit Sc paper took off the spots and left a nicer shine. I didn't bother contacting WC or LN, but I did suspect the place had been a demo. Further, as my wife bought it for me as a present, I had no idea of any deal she may have worked out on the phone when ordering.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    Over the years I think some of mine have had the blue plastic bag and some haven't.

I just opened a #5 this morning that didn't. Just wrapped in the paper.

Merry Christmas everyone.

PHM
    Last edited by Paul McGaha; 12-25-2014 at 8:57 AM.

My No.3 came in paper with no bag a couple years ago...

Blog Entries
    Mine have been wrapped in the rust preventing brown paper. I never knew some came in a plastic wrap.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Bag or no bag the 4 1/2 kicks butt

Finally got a chance to try out the 4 1/2 yesterday. Easily made a mahogony shaving about one thousandth thick. I guess the bags are hit or miss, but my new plane does quite nicely. I guess not being able to try it out right away made me cranky. (Sorry about that). I guess that's why a box of shop time is always on my wish list

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all

John

At least you didn't have to spring for a grand for the bronze 4 1\2 plane. Mine have been in paper as well.

Chris

My LN planes have all been in paper. LV planes come in the blue bags. Maybe that is what you are thinking of.