Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it bad to store clamps by having them clamped to something?

Is it bad to store clamps by having them clamped to something?

I have a selection of Jorgenson and cheap plastic bar clamps, and I've just had them laying around in the past and a few on my peg board. I needed some room so I screwed a 2x4 to the side if my work bench and I have the clamps clamped to there. Now I don't know much about the life of clamps, but instinct tells me that that's not good for the clamps. I've never seen that type of set up in any other shop so I figure it's either bad for the clamp or just inconvenient having to unclamp and reclamp to store. I can easily build a proper rack for these which I will probably do anyway, but I'm wondering if that's a bad way to store clamps?

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I have stored Bessey old style K-body clamps for about 10 years by clamping them to 2x4 mounted on the wall. Hasn't seem to hurt them at all, but I do not tighten them much, just enough so that the friction keeps them from sliding off. Hand screws are stored the same way.

I have a fair # of my clamps stored like that. As long as you don't honk 'em down, it doesn't hurt 'em one bit. It's just inconvenient compared to simply reaching out and picking a clamp off the wall, which is why few folks do it. All of my Quik-Grip style clamps are clamped for storage.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I hope not! If so I'm in big trouble. Most of mine have been stored that way going on 20 years, though. They are only snug enough to keep them from moving.
    Last edited by Duane Meadows; 12-25-2014 at 10:37 PM.

I have stored clamps like that for quite some time and don't see how it could harm them in any way.

I have had a few of my cheap black plastic spring clamps break while storing them that way. I use the braces on the overhead door for spring clamp storage.

John

If you're only tightening them enough to keep them in place, you're good.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    It is not like leaving your clicker torque wrench set on 100 ft-lbs for months at a time, like I used to before I became more "knowledgeable". Even if you leave your metal clamps cranked down, I can't see any harm there.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    It is not like leaving your clicker torque wrench set on 100 ft-lbs for months at a time, like I used to before I became more "knowledgeable". Even if you leave your metal clamps cranked down, I can't see any harm there.
    All my clamps are in locked position,never seem to have any problems.

I have a torque wrench set on 85 ft-lbs for years,now I wonder if it was the wrong thing to do.
    Although the wrench has only one single purpose which is to torque the lug nuts on my car,twice a year when I switch from all season to winter tires.

Stored a bunch of F-clamps that way for 10 years. I never noticed any ill effects.
    Fred

"bunch of F-clamps "
    Yeah, when I need them in a hurry, because I need to clamp something before the glue sets, that method causes me to
    cuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    It is not like leaving your clicker torque wrench set on 100 ft-lbs for months at a time, like I used to before I became more "knowledgeable".
    Well, I guess I need to file this in the "things I learned today, but wish I didn't" file. So, if you've messed up and left it loaded for years and the spring loses some of its spring, can it be simply re-calibrated, or do you need a new spring too?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    "bunch of F-clamps "
    Yeah, when I need them in a hurry, because I need to clamp something before the glue sets, that method causes me to
    cuss.
    Yeah, me too Mel. Thats why I finally went to a more conventional clamp rack.
    Fred

Blog Entries
    I read a good review a year or so ago, in Car Craft magazine in a doctor's office I think. Anyway it said to not leave them cranked up or you will loose some accuracy. And surprisingly they rated the HF clicker torque wrench as being one of the most accurate in the tests. http://images.harborfreight.com/hftw...Craft-0413.pdf
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 12-26-2014 at 12:48 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Storing a steel or aluminum clamp clamped to something should not harm it at all unless you were to really torque it to clamp it. If the clamp has soft faces, those soft face materials could take a set from being clamped for a long time. Non-metalic clamps could take a set from being clamped for a long time.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute