Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laser Tube 3 part question

Laser Tube 3 part question

I bought a Boss Laser 1620 back in April 2014 ( this year ) Boss laser and there employees are wonderful the help they gave is tremendous ( Robbie Kevin and the rest of them Que and Michelle and the Frenchman as they call him

My question is where can i get a laser tube 60 watt laser tube cheaper than the 650 bucks they are wanting. My laser tube broke when we had a freeze back in November 2014 ( North Carolina )as i didn't know i had water still in the tube and when it frozed and thawed out it busted the end of the tube one side Im new at laser engraving.

Where can i purchase the laser engrave blank bricks and rocks to laser engrave

BossLaser is a awesoem business well rounded and very helpful as they been on the phone for hours on end helping me

Thanks
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-26-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Rabbit Laser USA sells 60 watt tubes for $400
    Lightobjects $345
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 12-26-2014 at 10:14 AM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

LightObject dot com tube spec's and they are priced at $345, are you or do you have the mechanical skill to replace the tube? BTW they are water cooled tubes..... water freezes at 32 degrees, I have some anti freeze in my cooling system. If you are wanting to collect under warranty I am afraid you are out of luck.

This is a "SP" quality made CO2 laser tube with a life span that goes up to 2,000 hrs. Also, the output is very stable, and many manufacturers are using this SP tube for the laser machines manufacturing in China. SP is very famous CO2 laser tube manufacturer in Shanghai, China
    Specification

• Power: 60W
    • Triggering Voltage: 25KV
    • Operating Voltage: 18KV
    • Current: 20~22mA
    • Life Span: 1,500~2,000 hrs
    • Length: 1250mm/ 49"
    • Diameter: 55mm/ 2.16"
    • Water Cooling
    • Water temperature: 20~25'C(68-77F)
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-26-2014 at 10:23 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

WOW I didn't even think of that Bill George with the antifreeze. I took the old one ( laser tube out ) with no problem.

Yes i am s.o.l for the warranty. I will check out the LightObject dot com Thanks so much

I got a ton of things to learn

Once again thanks so much

Junior

Perhaps now would be a good time to upgrade to an 80 watt, but look for a RECCI or an EFI tube with the correct power supply, brackets; few more $ but faster.
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

Depends on what he's doing' If cutting is the main objective then an 80 watt tube might be a good bet, but if engraving is the goal, then you might want to stick with a 40 or 60 again it depends if your engraving wood 80 might be ok but if say leather or some other light material 80 might be to much. I find y 60 watt gives me a pretty good balance of both cutting and engraving. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by John Bion View Post
    Perhaps now would be a good time to upgrade to an 80 watt, but look for a RECCI or an EFI tube with the correct power supply, brackets; few more $ but faster.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Right now all i am doing is engraving mirrors wood drinking glasses coffee mugs. Im wanting to try brick pavers and pet stones but not sure where to get those at

I have an 80w reci tube and it is NOT good for engraving. The dot size is way too big. I would suggest a 40w glass tube for good engraving.

If you go with an rf laser, the dot sizes are smaller at larger powered tubes and you can get good engraving results.
    Technology Teacher - Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver 40w glass tube

Ok i got my correct laser tube from boss laser which they sent me for free since the one they sent me with the machine was a 50 watt when i paid for a 60 they send it for free thanks Boss Laser

Bill George you said to put some antifreeze in the water chiller how much antifreeze should i put into the water chiller

Thanks

I would recommend to NOT use any anti-freeze in the coolant for the 40 or 60 watt laser. There are definite problems with doing that. I haven't had issues with coolant in the 30 watt tubes yet.

My experience is that the coolant becomes conductive at the high voltages. The electricity intended for the laser gas will pierce through the epoxy seal (holding the lens/mirror at the end of the of the laser tube). I can try to explain this.

1) The primary path... The resistance of the laser gas inside the tube is (Let's use a dumb/easy number..) 100,000 ohms. This allows the arc to jump from anode to cathode... Inside the center chamber of the laser tube.

2) The alternative electrical path is to pierce or conduct through the epoxy...pierce/conduct into the coolant chamber ... Conduct through the coolant to the frame bulkhead fitting (brass piece where you plug in the chiller) ... Then conduct in the metal frame back to the laser power supply. Let's say the alternative path has a resistance of 80,000 ohms. With the coolant flowing, the resistive value is constantly changing.

The result is a current divider between path 1 and path 2. The best case is that you have a power loss in the tube. The worse issue is that you could be creating a hole in the epoxy and are releasing the laser gas from the laser tube.

This all comes from experience.. I do NOT recommend running the laser with antifreeze... I do recommend storage of the laser tube with antifreeze. You need to rinse it out pretty well before you try to use it.

One good thing is that the high voltage is "return grounded" as soon as it hits the bulkhead fitting.

other note... RV antifreeze will grow a nasty mold.

thank you
    Ray Scott
    Owner/Engineer at Rabbit Laser USA

Advice... Never use your tongue as a multimeter.

My anti freeze mixture is very light, I'm sure it would slush up but not freeze solid. Been running faucet grade water in mine since day one, as I understand water is conductive Anyway I do not have a choice heat goes off things freeze.

Just want to add yes I had mold problems with RV anti-freeze.

Back to standard anti-freeze. I appreciate Rays advice but modern anti-freeze, the global stuff meant for modern cars with cooling systems that contain not only aluminum but brass, steel, iron, plastic, rubber and yes epoxy is what I use in mine. I won't advise others to do the same, but my mixture is very light only down to say + 15 Deg F and no problems in the past four or more months.
    Last edited by Bill George; 01-07-2015 at 7:19 AM.

Wow Ray Scott thanks i didn't even think of all that as yes i know and understand the electricity and water conducts all kinds of things. I might just when done lasering take my air hose and push all the water out of the laser tube This is what Boss Laser told me to do after my laser tube busted couple weeks ago when we had a cold snap take the air hose and put it into the out or in let of the water and to push the air threw and out of the tube.

I might just do the air thing and save my laser tube so that way i dont have to spend 450 to 700 bucks i dont have.

Im still new to all this

Thanks to all for the helpful tips

That explains something I've seen quite a few times Ray, it's obvious really when I think about it but never crossed my mind. It may well also explain why the coloured anti freeze seems to suck power from tubes
    You did what !

Well now you got me wondering. Went out to my now 45 Deg F shop, and its below Zero outside. Got a sample of my anti-freeze mixture out of the tank and then tap or faucet water. Strange but with my Fluke 77 digital meter and both probes at the same distance and depth, with Anti freeze mixture I get 1 or 2 Meg Ohms resistance, with my tap water same test I get 300-400 K Ohms? I will repeat the test later when I get warmed up!

When I replaced my old 30 watt tube in September (before the anti freeze) the new 40 watt tube had a thin wire wrapped around the Negative post and folded back into the tube so as to ground the water path?

Blog Entries
    Pure ethylene glycol has a very high resistivity (megaohms), but your typical anti-freeze is not pure. I would look for some pure stuff and use that.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5