Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuck between a straight and a wet place.......

Peter

I know lots of guys that have track saw rails. I don't know anyone that has their own kegerator.

Get the kegerator.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The gift cards, money, certificates and what have you were given to you by various people for you to get what you wanted/needed. If you can spend it and make TWO people happy it seems like a no brainer. More bang for the buck and in the end you will come out ahead...
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

Kegerator. If you feel bad after buying the kegerator, just have another quaff o' tasty beer and fuhgetaboutit. Plus, I've never had a problem aligning 2 short rails to make 1400mm for ripping along the length of plywood. So so so handy when out on the job building closets.

BTW - after you buy the kegerator, you need to start a new thread with pictures. May I recommend Pliny the Elder or Bell's Brewery "Hopslam" as your first choices to load that pig. Enjoy!
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    It would get pretty expensive to trade that one in for one that drinks wine.
    Well Tom......she drinks that too! We had more budget for that before children and the great recession, I already built her a small wine cellar, but it's rarely got more than a few bottles in I these days, more of an occasional treat. She likes a warm fire in the fire place and a glass of red wine in cold nights, I usually have plenty of scraps to cover the fire part. Simple pleasures. It's the ones who like expensive handbags and European cars that get expensive! But they don't usually marry cabinetmakers.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Guys, thanks for the clear perspective. It's got to be the kegerator. The track will wait until it has to or I take on the side work to pay for it. Only question left is where to put it? Choices are in her home office or in my shop. Her office is much cleaner and less dusty. But. I could build a bar with a filtered fresh air intake, maybe build it into the TS out feed table.....or maybe as part of a new miter saw bench......serve just one client a year a beer and perhaps I could write off the kegs?
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

I have to confess that i'm not a beer drinker--so i may be off the mark. If the savings on beer is say $1.00 each per day--putting a tip jar next to the Kegerator would get you to the long rail pretty quickly. That would make your bride happy, you happy and the rail would come in just a few months. On the other hand...the long rail results in no daily savings, so it just doesn't offer the return on investment that the Kegerator does. (though if it helps stop the destruction of plywood, on could argue that there is the potential for savings) Just looking at the economics, i'd have to vote in favor of Kegerator and committing the savings for a time.

The potential "hiccup" in the plan--with it readily available on tap, beer consumption increases and the money jar gets raided to fund the increase. Not the worst thing in the world!!

earl

Peter I vote for the office I bet my last nickel you wouldn't be drinking in the shop while you're working , my wife does not like to go to my shop afraid I will make her sand. Happy new year
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

I bought my wife a shaper, jointer, log splitter and a rototilller this year..........

I'm just saying....

Oh ya, I just built her a new house, so I get a pass for a while.

A vote for the track saw and build her something. Maybe a beautiful cabinet for the kegerator.

My vote goes to the kegerator. As nice as it would be to have that track, it appears that the kegerator is something you would enjoy together. After all, I don't think very many people ever died wishing they'd bought one more woodworking tool. Don't let that be a regret...as she's killing you for not making the right choice.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Blog Entries
    If you're buying the beer in bottles anyway, the Kegerator is already being paid for and then some. You just have to properly allocate those funds.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Easy! -- I'd just buy both! For full disclosure, though, I haven't been reckless enough to get married yet.

I'm sorry the choice was between beer and - never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Guys, thanks for the clear perspective. It's got to be the kegerator.
    Ohhh,no,get the track saw,she'll understand ,you gotta be you.

Not that I'm biased or anything, but I haven't gained 30 lbs. in the two years since my DUAL-TAP kegerator has been up and running. Two homebrews on tap right now...

dualkeg1.jpgdualkeg2.jpg
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore