Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am ready to buy a bandsaw, I need help narrow it down my choice

Question I am ready to buy a bandsaw, I need help narrow it down my choice

Hi,

I have been reading a lot about different bandsaws and I made my decision to 2 bandsaws.
    First let me tell you my guides for decision.

1. No old iron. I don't want and I won't spend time fixing a machine. this is my hobby (woodworking) not metal working. It is in a garage so I don't want a huge machine.

2. I would like a Italian bandsaw for their quality, but I don't have the money.

3. I will use it more for curve cuts and compound angles, etc. I will have the occasional resaw, but that won't happen every time. I work most of my weekends so even if I resaw often it will be between weekends.

4. I have settle to Asian bandsaws for the following brands: Laguna and Hammer.

Ok, The bandsaws that I have look out there are:
    1412 from Laguna
    LT14 SUV from Laguna
    Hammer N3800
    Hammer N4400.

I have discarded the Lagunas, because there are so many good bandsaw out there. There are also many bad experiences ouot there and they have common occurrences. One the table not being flat and you have to mess with it to make it flat. It is like buying Lottery, you don't know if you will get the prize or not. I don't want to spend more money to make it work right, it should work right from the beginning.

Ok, back to the choices.
    The Hammer are made in Asia and assembled in Europe. The bad reviews are pretty low to almost none. I know there are more Lagunas in the market so that makes more of the reviews.

My problem is which one to pick.
    The main difference is Flywheel 17 ⅜ to 15, Motor 3.5 and 2.0 and cutting height is the same.
    The price difference is about $500 placed on my garage, so there are between $2000 and $2500. There will be a price increase January 1, 2015.
    Based on my use I am thinking on N3800, smaller saw. This is just a hobby, so It is not for massive furniture production. I like to build tables, chairs, etc.

Would I regret not getting the N4400 largest saw. I am afraid one day I will say I wish I had more power, but if that happens only once or twice during the life time and I am ok with that.

Any suggestions?

I have seen the MM16, but it is out of my budget. I won't wait for a used one either.

Having used both Hammer machines, yes go for the N4400, it can handle larger blades and has more power as well as larger diameter wheels.

The Hammer saws also have table extensions and sanding belt conversions available.

Regards, Rod.

No one ever wishes they went smaller on a bandsaw. Even for furniture work, the ability to create your own veneer spoils you. Dave

Go for the larger Hammer. That size is a popular option. In addition to handling whatever you throw at it when/if you decide to sell, it will sell quicker and for more.

I didn't know the Hammer parts where made in Asia. Interesting.

One of my best buds has a 4400 Hammer bandsaw, its a big little saw. Impressive machine..

Get the biggest/strongest/most powerful bandsaw you can. You won't regret that.

Blog Entries
    +1 I have never wished for less power on my 2HP bandsaw. An extra pony or two would be great.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I saw the Hammer 4400 went on sale for $2195

Yes, that is the price, plus deliver and tax makes it to 2500ish. I live in Texas and they have an office in Dallas so I have to pay sales tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel Fernandez View Post
    The Hammer are made in Asia and assembled in Europe.
    Have you proof of this? a link will do. You may well be right but it is news to me and a lot of other people.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    I didn't know the Hammer parts where made in Asia. Interesting.

One of my best buds has a 4400 Hammer bandsaw, its a big little saw. Impressive machine..
    I'd always understood saws were either assembled in Austria from Italian parts or made completely in Italy as the 510 and 610 models previoiusly were. I think the 510 and 610 are now made at Felder's plant in Austria.

I think the alleged Asian parts / assembly with Hammer machines are largely internet rumors...
    Last edited by Peter Kelly; 12-27-2014 at 7:41 PM.

I guess I'll be the contrarian.

Just kidding, get the bigger saw.

If you're considering the bigger Hammer, is there any reason you're not considering the venerable MM16 from MiniMax?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I did consider the MM16, the problem is almost $1000 more than the Hammer. The weight is also a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel Fernandez View Post
    Yes, that is the price, plus deliver and tax makes it to 2500ish. I live in Texas and they have an office in Dallas so I have to pay sales tax.
    Fidel, even if they didn't have an office or warehouse in Texas, I wouldn't put weight on whether a vendor collects Texas sales tax or not. Even if they didn't, you'd still be obligated to pay the equivalent in use tax, so it's a wash. http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/use/ Same thing in all but a few states. Unless of course you qualified for some exemption. On a big ticket purchase like heavy machinery that is trucked in from out of state, the state and local tax folks especially watch for it.

David