Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw files and a gents saw I'm looking to order...

Saw files and a gents saw I'm looking to order...

OK, I admit that I really like working with my hands. I'm looking at ordering a gents saw for cutting dovetails and such. I'm looking at the Crown 17 tpi gents saw and I'd also like to find the saw file to resharpen this saw with. I'm not having any luck in finding a 17 tpi saw file. What am I not looking for? Please advise.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Look on EBAY for an AMERICAN MADE extra slim triangular file(also called "3 square",though that old name makes no sense what so ever).

George,
    Would that be like a Simonds 8" Extra Slim Taper File? I can find that on eBay just fine. Is that what I'm looking for?
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis -- you're looking for a 4" double extra slim taper file

For future reference, you can find charts (showing which file to use for a given tooth configuration) all over the web.

Lie-Nielsen, Tools for Working Wood and VintageSaws.com, among many others, have them.

I'll be awful and recommend a better saw
    thinner
    fewer teeth per inch
    longer length
    I have a few Crown saws.
    Nah dude, nah
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    I'll be awful and recommend a better saw
    thinner
    fewer teeth per inch
    longer length
    I have a few Crown saws.
    Nah dude, nah
    Thanks, you posted it for me......There are some good saws to be had for only a few pennies more. Gent's saw? I guess there are some folks who like 'em because they are still being made but 17 tpi to learn to sharpen....hummmm

Two things I'm glad I don't have to shop for any more, are women and saw files. To suit me, both would be hard to find again.

My favorite joinery saws are my two Lie-Nielsen gent's saws, which they no longer stock, but might make for you. They are 15ppi. I have never seen a better made one, but I'm sure a custom saw maker like Ron Bontz could make you a dandy one. Another ploy might be to put a "wanted to buy" listing on a woodworking forum message boar. I bet you there are folks out there who would be glad to sell you one. I'm not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Thanks, you posted it for me......There are some good saws to be had for only a few pennies more. Gent's saw? I guess there are some folks who like 'em because they are still being made but 17 tpi to learn to sharpen....hummmm
    Well...I'm listening...
    My mother is wanting to buy me a saw for Christmas and it's up to me to find & order it. The limit is $50.
    I bought a Dozuki a few years ago and I absolutely loved that saw.!! But for the ability to resharpen my own saw, I'm choosing to go more traditional push style saw with a tooth configuration that I can learn to sharpen.
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 12-28-2014 at 10:08 AM.
    Dennis -

Blog Entries
    I almost hate to do this, but here is one place where you can find them.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...72,43089,69854

Yea, Lowell....I found those. I just get confused because their file goes to 16 tpi and the saw I'm looking to buy is 17 tpi and I'm so new at this for handsaws that I am trying to learn what I need.
    Dennis -

While you are at LV's, I can recommend their dovetail saw. The 14 tpi I have and used a lot for 1/2 to 3/4" stock.

Another idea for small sawfiles are needle files. Bahco has some very narrow ones, and I used these for 18 tpi saws.

Blog Entries
    I have all of the items shown in the link as well as the saw file holder guide. They sure make things easier.

You might want to check out Ron Herman's video on saw sharpening. I'm a novice, but his video has helped me more than other videos that I have.

He separates tooth shaping from sharpening. I was trying to shape and sharpen the teeth at the same time.

Ok, Thank you.!
    Dennis -

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Well...I'm listening...
    My mother is wanting to buy me a saw for Christmas and it's up to me to find & order it. The limit is $50.
    I bought a Dozuki a few years ago and I absolutely loved that saw.!! But for the ability to resharpen my own saw, I'm choosing to go more traditional push style saw with a tooth configuration that I can learn to sharpen.
    Dennis,

Lee Valley's Molded Spine saws are as good as any. If you would like to learn to sharpen the 14 tpi dovetail saw is $69 USD with free shipping for a couple more days. If you like Gent's saws the 20 tpi is $49 USD. Learning to sharpen 15 tpi and above it a tough go, it can be done but a 14 tpi or larger will be easier. As I have posted before, I have all the Veritas saws with the exception of the Gent's saw as well as a number of high dollar saws....the Veritas are as good as you can buy.

ken