Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lumbersexuals

Lumbersexuals

Who would have guessed that guys like all of us would become the topic of many articles in trendy magazines read mainly by urban young females. Yeah, we are on the leading edge of a growing movement taking place right now. We are the "lumbersexuals." Apparently, the latest trend is for young women in big cities to think of guys who wear flannel shirts, work boots and do manly things like woodworking as "hot." Here's part of an article from "The Atlantic."

The first one I met was at an inauguration party in 2009. I was in a cocktail dress. He was in jeans, work boots, and a flannel shirt. He had John Henry tattooed on his bicep. He was white. Somehow, at a fairly elegant affair, he had found a can of PBR. Since then they’ve multiplied. You can see them in coffee shops and bars and artisanal butchers. They don't exactly cut down trees, but they might try their hand at agriculture and woodworking, even if only in the form of window-box herb gardens.
    In the last month, these bearded, manly men even earned themselves a pithy nickname: the lumbersexuals. GearJunkie coined the term only a few weeks ago, and since then Jezebel, Gawker, The Guardian and Time have jumped in to analyze their style. BuzzFeed even has a holiday gift guide for the lumbersexual in your life. (He would, apparently, like bourbon-flavored syrup and beard oil.)

I hope my wife can handle my new image. It's making me feel better already!
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

2. What is "beard oil"?

What's wrong with 10w30?

Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-28-2014 at 12:34 AM.

Cuero, Texas--Not too far from the third coast.
    Haha,rofl.
    My wife's reply to that is she's always been ahead of the times.
    Using Texas woods--especially Mesquite, the "Queen" of woods.

I'm glad someone has finally figured out why I'm so irresistible to women.

Apparently the look attracts women but they grow tired of it......

I've been married three times.......

My shavings are my aftershaves!

Cool, I told my wife not to worry about the extra attention I will be getting - I can handle it. She was nonplussed.

Blog Entries
    Silly Posers

And all this time I thought is was my charming personality

Blog Entries
    Yet another trend I missed...
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I love it, wonder if I could get that on my license plate......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Rocker View Post
    I love it, wonder if I could get that on my license plate......
    LMBRSXL

Shouldn't raise any flags in most states.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My next door neighbor is trying to be one of these. 20-something year old hipster kid, drinks from a mason jar, the whole "I'm vintage" act. We're cool with each other but it is quite silly. I watched him try to build a side table in his backyard from scrap lumber, using a carpenter's saw and maybe 10-12 oz hammer. I never saw a square but he did have a pencil. Took three days and doubt there's any vaguely square angle on it but he was quite proud of his effort.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    act
    And there is the operative word. I really don't have anything against most people, but I hate phoneys. I especially hate phoneys that drink PBR, because they truly have no redeeming qualities.

Hahaha, John. I must be used to seeing them here in Austin. It's funny to me how "primitive techniques" are something to aspire to.

Same neighbor took down a small tree in his yard with the same carpenter's saw that he made said table with. Took him days. Who the heck has time for that? I was out in the yard one day and saw him digging out the stump with a pick axe and tiny shovel. Again, three days work. I see him kneeling in this pit he has dug around the stump, trying to get it out, covered in dirt and sweat. Offered to lend him my Sawzall with a big ripper blade on it. "Dude, you'll be done in 20 minutes".

"Naw, I got it covered", as he's duplicating the whole opening scene from "There Will Be Blood" with Daniel Day Lewis down in the mineshaft. Funny thing was that I caught his girlfriend giving him a hard time for not taking me up on the offer afterward. I think he would go to a creek to gather water if we had one nearby.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA