Thread: Wood Question

Wood Question

I went to the wood store looking for some Walnut. What they had was pretty sad and over $10 USD a board foot for 4/4, at that price and condition I couldn't pull the trigger. I didn't need much, just wanted a dark wood accent so I looked around the stacks for something else that might work. I found a nice board listed as South American Walnut for just under $8 USD a BF, what the heck, I hadn't a clue but it was dark, straight, and clear, might as well give it a try. BTW, once home I looked it up in the Wood Data Base and as expected no relationship to Walnut.

It's a little soft, works easily, and with Tried and True turns a beautiful, almost black dark brown. It worked for my project.

My question is: Anyone with experience using SA Walnut for furniture? From this one board I expect it is a little soft and would dent too easily but it sure is pretty.

Here is a shaving:

ken

Blog Entries
    I use Peruvian walnut all the time, mostly for accent strips on boats and surfboards. It is almost black when wet out, and dark chocolate when dry. What you have looks lighter but the way you describe it is similar to Peruvian Walnut. It would be fine for furniture.

The dark wood on too in this image is Peruvian Walnut.
    Attached Images Attached Images