Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running Air Compressor Line

Running Air Compressor Line

Hey guys, one quick question. Has anyone run an air compressor line around there garage or workshop? What type of material is best. I have been reading that pipe, pex piping, pvc are good options, but do you guys prefer one over the other? My intentions are to keep the compressor in the garage and run lines to the basement for my wood shop. Just wondering if you have one preference over the other?

Me personally? Copper pipe, but I get paid to install it when I have to do it, and I've done a lot of it. If I ever put in an air system at home, it will be copper.
    CPVC, (proper type) is rated for compressed gasses, it's really easy to install. No brazing or sweating work with a torch, so it's within the capabilities of most people to install
    I don't think PEX has yet been certified for compressed gasses by it's manufacturer. It's got a 150psi rating, and I'm sure it would work just fine,but............

One more alternative is "Black Pipe". Once again you have to pay attention to the type and rating. Just because it's "black", doesn't mean it's rated for compressed gasses. You will need to rent/learn to use a pipe threader to do it properly. Be careful buying black pipe at a Home Depot, or Lowes. The lengths of pipe have the proper rating, but most of the fittings do not, or they cannot tell you if they do.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-28-2014 at 11:02 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

There is also Aluminum pipe designed for air with removable fittings. Transair is one brand. Dave

First of all - you don't want to use PVC so cross that off your list (shrapnel hazard from ruptured lines) google it if you have any doubts

I used 3/4" copper for my lines. I would rather work with it than threaded pipe. Also there are several companies that offer DIY kits like these from MaxLine or RapidAir

http://www.amazon.com/Maxline-M7500-...r+air+line+kit

http://www.amazon.com/Rapidair-90500...ords=rapid+air

I ran air hose underground from the building that my air compressor is in to my shop then I installed type K copper pipe for all of my air line runs inside the shop.

I would go with sch 40 pipe. I don't know the ratings for copper, but you may need to make sure you are getting the correct wall thickness for the application. I would think copper is quite a bit more expensive, but maybe not? It would look good!

Unless something has changed in the last few years, CPVC and PVC are not rated for compressed gas service, especially at these pressures.

7. PEX seems like a good way to go as you could run it in one piece, no splices just the end connectors. Not sure of the PSI rating.

I used the Maxline in my shop. It comes with a roll of pipe, and compression fittings. Had to order extra hardware for one more drop than the kit came with. See you can add pieces on Amazon. Works well for me. To hook up the compressor to the system, you need a short air hose. I just took a short piece of hose, used connectors with hose clamps. Would be nicer to have the short pieces crimped.

Well,25yrs ago I ran sch 40 3/4 PVC pipe and have yet had a problem.BUT! If I had a do-over I would have spent the extra money and time and run it in copper.PVC is not rated for sun light for long periods of time cause it just drys out and cracks become brittle.For the reason that John posted,I don't want to have to keep looking over my shoulder,but mine is in the walls concealed.
    Running in copper,never rust and will last forever,its easy to sweat copper using one of those portable torches.Once you sweat couple fittings you will get the hang of it.Don't forget to add p-traps.The Pex ideals sure sounds good-----Carroll

Sorry folks. My mind went to plastic polyethylene pipe for gas applications and my fingers types out CPVC.
    CPVC can have a working pressure of 600psi. As of yet though, I don't believe it is currently spec'd for gas application. At least not what is available in a big box store.
    Many times in the day job we get some exotic materials to work with for pressure applications. Sometimes I forget that the materials I work with, are not always transferable to what is commercially accessible.

Once again, sorry for the misleading info
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-29-2014 at 3:45 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    If you plan on using PEX, you'll probably want to run 5/8 (.575 I.D.) or 3/4" (.677 I.D.) to get good flow from the end of any long runs.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I have always heard that PEX was sensitive to UV light so you would need to run it behind a wall or in the attic. Somewhere it would not be exposed to light. Plus, isn't PEX meant for liquid and not gas?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    I used the Maxline in my shop. It comes with a roll of pipe, and compression fittings. Had to order extra hardware for one more drop than the kit came with. See you can add pieces on Amazon. Works well for me. To hook up the compressor to the system, you need a short air hose. I just took a short piece of hose, used connectors with hose clamps. Would be nicer to have the short pieces crimped.
    Jim,

I'm looking at either the Maxline M3800 Master Kit (http://www.amazon.com/Maxline-M3800-...ywords=maxline) or Rapidair 90500 Master Kit (http://www.amazon.com/Rapidair-90500...words=rapidair) - both use 1/2" tubing. Both are made by RapidAir http://www.rapidairproducts.com/ and are specifically made for running compressed air lines.

Why did you use Maxline ($177 for the kit at time of writing) rather than the less expensive RapidAir ($78 for the kit at time of writing)?

Thanks,

Dan.

p.s. I don't understand why folks would go to the trouble of gluing or soldering pipe to install an air system in their workshop. It might save a few bucks, but routing around conduit, lighting, corners, etc with a glued/soldered solution seems like a major hassle.
    It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

Blog Entries
    If I ever redo mine it will be with copper. Right how I have been using an old roll of 3/8" rubber air hose for probably 25 years. Guess I need to add that to the list.
    NOW you tell me...

I will be using the 7500 maxline kits (have 3 so far) for the new shed.

The Maxline $177 kits may be 3/4" tube but they also sell a maxline 1/2" tube.

The Maxline tube is also an aluminum layer between two hdpe plastic layers and the 3/4" line is rated 175psi under 150' from compressor.

The cheaper 1/2" rapid air is nylon tubing does not have the aluminum layer and is rated for 150psi under 75ft from compressor.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.