Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

29 Dec 2014

Good Morning Everyone,
    Christmas day has come and gone and I'm sitting here wondering where the time went!! Seems like the older I get the faster times goes by, but I also remember my grandparents saying the same type of thing when I was much younger...I guess it just becomes more real to us as we get older.

We had great food, fun, and family over the long holiday weekend. I didn't have any woodworking projects to finish up or work on but I will be starting on the LOML Jr's cedar chest again within the next week or so. My hope and prayer is that I get to spend some much needed shop time in the shop this coming year and that I get my woodworking "chops" back where they used to be. We are thinking that next Christmas holiday, the gifts may all be something we all make each other. It could be a challenge for my 2 younger sons as neither one of them are crafty at making things...not that they couldn't be, it's just that they don't "want" to be at this teenage point in their lives.

I didn't get anything this year for Christmas but the LOML and the kids got stuff for Christmas and I'm ok with that. So what did YOU do "and get" for Christmas this year?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Blog Entries
    I finally got some work done on my interpretation of a Wegner valet chair. I was really proud to make thes two contrasting pieces to fit perfectly. (The mahogany is thicker at the moment so it is casting a shadow, but the two fit perfectly.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spent some time in the shop working on some picture frames for some of my older daughter's art work/photography....reclaimed wood and milled to match most of the other frames in the house. They are being painted black. Also rode both horses on Sunday.

Test fit
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

One of the Christmas presents from my wife and me to her father is a set of new drawers for the cabinets in his workshop. (He's a car guy; I'm the woodworker.) over the weekend I finished getting them ready to install, which I will be doing later today.

Also began reassembling the old Rockwell/Delta DP I bought last spring and subsequently tore down to the last screw.

I'm on vacation this week, and I'll split my time between the DP, more cabinets for the shop, and a few honeydews.
    Chuck Taylor

Mrs Santa gave me two books on pyrography to satisfy my initial curiosity: The Complete Pyrography, by Stephen Poole, and Pyrography Designs, by Norma Gregory. To help with my coffee table project (still in the prototyping stages), I built a tablesaw tapering jig based on an article/video in FWW. And, then spent the bulk of the past weekend sharpening and honing my old and new chisels using a combination of wet/dry sandpaper on a 1/2" plate of glass and a 1000/4000 wet stone.
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 12-29-2014 at 4:28 PM.

Yesterday I learned a valuable lesson about not over tightening table saw blades. Cuts much nicer now. Then I proceed to start milling two fences for a new crosscut sled from some nice fir that I found online. Turns out there was a finishing nail in there. Now my jointer has nicked blades. Oh well, its a great excuse to go to Lee Valley to pick up a small metal detector. Learning the hard way...

Finished a small quarter sawn white oak table for the family room. Also replaced some rotted sub flooring under the kitchen sink and dishwasher. Pulled up the luan and vynal floor in the hallway to the kitchen laying maple hardwood flooring in the hallway tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    I am off last week and this week. I spent time on a guitar build I have going. I hit a stopping point where I need a specialize router bit to cut a rabet for the binding. Afterwards LOML & I saw the third installment of the Hobbit. Yesterday, I was doing a general clean-up and sharpening of some planes / blades when LOML got a call that the jewelry / lapidary shop looked like someone tried to break in. She, some other members, and I got down there. Someone tried to break in, but i couldn't open the door without totally wreaking it. It took about 4 hours for the police to show. We got a board-up service. We contacted the city (they are the owners of the building) and will meet them this morning to determine whether the burglars got in and what needs to happen to resecure the building.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

9. Had last week off so I finished installing the new baseboard, shoe, and casing in the living room. Also finished the wiring for the mantle lights and the tv/phone/data wiring and encased the speaker wiring in the walls for the surround and back surround speakers. In other words, brought the 1949 house into 2014.....

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Wilson View Post
    Yesterday I learned a valuable lesson about not over tightening table saw blades. Cuts much nicer now.
    Huh?? Could you elaborate? I have not heard of such a thing....
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I haven't done any updates on my weekend accomplishments for a bit, mostly because I haven't accomplished much between Thanksgiving and now. Over the Thanksgiving weekend, I, with the assistance of my lads, put 3/4" OSB on 1x3 and 1x4 sleepers down in about 2/3 of my shop. Feet and ground bound tools should both be much happier going forward. Between Thanksgiving and last week, I fiddled about and also worked on my Sharpening Flats, a project that "started" over 4 years ago. I got the final coat of finish on them Christmas Eve, so now I will have no further excuse for dull blades.

This weekend (and today) I resumed work on my Split Top Roubo, cutting the end cap tenon and excavating the wagon vise cavity. I plan on gluing up the end cap blank tomorrow and beginning the joinery work the legs. It looks like all of the stretchers I've prepared are too short, so I'll also be working on milling new stretcher components. The good news on that is I should be able to use the long stretchers to provide all of the short stretchers, so I'll only have to actually mill up new long stretchers.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I finished up these four legs I've been working on for the last month. I found carving hard maple isn't a lot of fun.

legs.jpg