Thread: Need help with drawer

Need help with drawer

I have three drawers that I can't figure out how to use them with drawer slides. They are behind a cabinet door. Any help would be appreciated...This is a pic of the drawer. The long side is 21" & the short side is 13".....IMG_9559.jpgThe notch goes around a pipe/wire chase in the cabinet.

Use a pair of 13" full-extend or over-extend. The back 8" won't really see the light of day.

OR........

Use a pair of undermount 21", and locate the RH slide so it is inside the notch.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Use a center mounted slide.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    You could probably use some 16" full extension or 1" over travel slides. There would be about 3" of the back of the slide that are unsupported, but that should cause a problem if you secure the front three quarters of the slide on that side.

I might have another idea. How big is the pipe? How close to the short side of the drawer does it come?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The pipes have been boxed in with wood. As I said these drawers are behind a door which is one open space. What i have come up with is mount the drawers to a plywood shelf. Then I could use drawer slides the same length so the will open all the way. To answer your question Lee. The boxed in pipes are 1" on two sides away from the notch in the drawer.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jolliffe View Post
    The pipes have been boxed in with wood. As I said these drawers are behind a door which is one open space. What i have come up with is mount the drawers to a plywood shelf. Then I could use drawer slides the same length so the will open all the way. To answer your question Lee. The boxed in pipes are 1" on two sides away from the notch in the drawer.....
    Okay so here is my other idea. Add a false side to the right side of your box solely for the purpose of supporting a drawer slide. It should still slide past your pipe and will allow you to use two slides of the same length. Here's a sketch to show you exactly what I am suggesting.
    drawer.JPG

If the drawer is already built, you could add the extension piece with pocket screws and add a triangular glue bock on the inside corner.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-30-2014 at 2:38 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'll have to look into that Lee...The pipes are boxed in so it wouldn't work unless I take the box off....Don't really know what's in the box, maybe nothing...