Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: New model- G0766 [Upgrade possible!]

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Matchett View Post
    No spindle lock makes this lathe a non starter. I guess they had to cut corners somewhere to make the price point
    Actually, they perform a spindle lock with a different system......there is an index pin and one of the holes that is for locking the spindle.......it is the same on my G0698, and is a simple and effective way of doing the same thing, and it works like a charm. Of course, every feature added to a lathe will increase its price, and if the same thing can be accomplished with a simpler system and save lots of dollars, then the value is still there and functionality does not suffer one bit.

I have turned on 9 different PM 3520b units and a few Jet 1642 evs units...........I actually prefer the index pin and spindle lock system, because it allows me to use both hands to thread on a chuck or any other task related to the spindle, but that is probably just me. The G0766 also has a handwheel for those who like to use it with one hand and hold the chuck with the other for threading on the chuck.........no problems!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Matchett View Post
    No spindle lock makes this lathe a non starter. I guess they had to cut corners somewhere to make the price point
    Good point, Larry! I had not noticed that in my cursory review. I am not in the market as I am very happy with my Jet 1642-2, but I do use the spindle lock often and would certainly miss not having one.

just noticed Roger's post, but that wouldn't change my feelings. Using the index pin is a hassle I would prefer to not have to fool with given the frequency with which I use the spindle lock. And, using a pin, I have altered my spindle lock to permit not having to manually hold it down - though most of the time I am using it to remove my chuck and just hold it down and hand spin the spindle to loosen the chuck.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 03-06-2015 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I have turned on 9 different PM 3520b units and a few Jet 1642 evs units...........I actually prefer the index pin and spindle lock system, because it allows me to use both hands to thread on a chuck or any other task related to the spindle, but that is probably just me.
    Agreed. I have a throwaway allen key that I drop into the 3520B indexer if I need to use two hands. I know there are several easy mods out there for actually locking the 3520B spindle in such a way as to free up both hands, but it is easier just to drop a pin into the indexer. The lack of a spindle lock would not be a non-starter for me if I were thinking about purchasing the Grizzly, most especially when you consider the massive price difference between it and comparably sized lathes. There may prove to be other issues that suggest that the new Grizzly isn't a good purchase, but we'll have to wait and see if those spring up once people have them and start using them.

The indexing pin on the Grizzly lathes works great until you drop it into a 12" deep pile of fine shavings under the lathe... Almost needed a metal detector to find mine a few times...

5. Quote Originally Posted by Justin Stephen View Post
    There may prove to be other issues that suggest that the new Grizzly isn't a good purchase, but we'll have to wait and see if those spring up once people have them and start using them.
    Knowing from first hand experience with my present G0698, and the collective reports of all that have spoken to their experiences with the G0733 units.....since the G0766 is just a beefed up version of it with added features like 3 hp and a handwheel...........I find it highly unlikely that the G0766 will not be an excellent purchase choice..........that is the reason I pulled the trigger!

Now, mind you, I could have gotten a 3520b or if I really wanted to, a Robust American Beauty,[I have turned on both] but with cash on hand from Christmas, birthday and Father's Day, I just wanted to go with what I believe to be a lathe that would provide excellent service and performance. I truly believe that what we will find in the long run is a new lathe that is a fine performer, just as is the G0733 18/47 unit, only from the looks of the pics that are available of this lathe, it does seem to have more refined castings and that is a plus!

As I have mentioned before.......ANY model lathe can and at times, does have problems on occassion. I have a friend who has a Oneway 2436 ....he has had parts replaced.......there is a thread over on WoW right now, where Sally Ault has a problem with her 3520b, and another 3520b owner had a problem over on the Wood Central forum. One of the turning clubs I belong to have had some issues with their 3520b.........they are by and large great lathes, and I am not putting them down.......I recommend them! I also recommend the upper end Grizzly lathes........they are good machines as well!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-06-2015 at 2:12 PM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    The indexing pin on the Grizzly lathes works great until you drop it into a 12" deep pile of fine shavings under the lathe... Almost needed a metal detector to find mine a few times...
    Geez Marty..........I solved that potential problem way back when.......just use a magnetic parts tray to keep it and the screws for my faceplate on the top of the headstock! Never lost it once!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 03-06-2015 at 2:13 PM.

I don't know if the Jet spindle lock has an electrical interlock like the Robust has, but if so, that would be a distinct advantage over just using the indexing wheel to lock the spindle.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Boehme View Post
    I don't know if the Jet spindle lock has an electrical interlock like the Robust has, but if so, that would be a distinct advantage over just using the indexing wheel to lock the spindle.
    Bill, it is just a mechanical lock.

As many times as I have started my Delta midi with the spindle locked, I would think an interlock would be a good addition to a more powerful lathe.

I am not sure if my last post made it onto this thread, but - I have really been looking hard at this product. I went to our woodturner's club Turn In today, and asked around for opinions on Grizzly wood lathes, and the response was not good. I am not sure if it's a case of Jet/Powermatic/Robust snobbery, or real Grizzly bad experiences that seasons their opinions. The price of this lathe would put it delivered at $1K lower than the Jet JWL-1642-EVS-2 hp, and that would fit my budget squarely. I wish there was a fair review of this new machine to be able to let me decide without trepidation. Do the Grizzly stores know how many of these units will ship from China, and when exactly they'd be available to view? Honestly, by the catalog and web photos it appears to be made with the same quality constructions as the Jet lathe, so I will probably be an easy voter once someone has a test drive.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    I am not sure if my last post made it onto this thread, but - I have really been looking hard at this product. I went to our woodturner's club Turn In today, and asked around for opinions on Grizzly wood lathes, and the response was not good. I am not sure if it's a case of Jet/Powermatic/Robust snobbery, or real Grizzly bad experiences that seasons their opinions. The price of this lathe would put it delivered at $1K lower than the Jet JWL-1642-EVS-2 hp, and that would fit my budget squarely. I wish there was a fair review of this new machine to be able to let me decide without trepidation. Do the Grizzly stores know how many of these units will ship from China, and when exactly they'd be available to view? Honestly, by the catalog and web photos it appears to be made with the same quality constructions as the Jet lathe, so I will probably be an easy voter once someone has a test drive.
    Back about 10 years ago most of the Grizzly lathes were lower end stuff. Starting with the G0632 clone of the Jet 1642 evs and on up through the G0698 that I currently have, then the G0733 18/47, they basically have the same features of the Powermatic and Jet lathes.......all manufactured by the same manufacturer........This newest G0766 is just coming on the market.........a large model with the same features of the PM 3520b. This is a lot of lathe for the money, and knowing my own personal experience for over 5 years and those of the G0733 unit........I had NO HESITATION whatsoever on pulling the trigger on this new G0766 model!

12. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    What I have found is that people fail to do any research at all and really have no clue what they are talking about when making these claims. How many people in your club had owned a Grizzly lathe or even turned on a friends Grizzly lathe to make those claims? They are just saying what they have heard and they only hear what they want to hear. Its been mentioned several times that the motor and VFD are made by Delta, the same companies making motors and VFD's for Powermatic and Jet but they don't hear that. Not only are they made by the same company but the Grizzly lathe uses the latest greatest model where the others are still using old technology. Its been mentioned several times that the new Grizzly lathes are manufactured by Burt Group, the same company that makes the Powermatic and Jet lathes but they don't hear that.

When I first started turning, I wanted a mini lathe. I just wanted something cheap that I could learn with but not fall apart in a year. One of the lathes that was recommended to me was a lathe called Excelsior sold by Rockler. My research showed me that the mini late sold at Harbor Freight was the exact same lathe with a different paint job. I brought this up and was told something about castings and quality control and blah blah blah and that I should spend the extra money and buy the black one from Rockler. I didnt. I bought the green one from HF. I turned on that little lathes for 3 years and never had a single issue out of it. The only bad reviews that lathe gets is about breaking belts. I sold it with the original belt on it. That little lathe churned out thousands of pens and many other turnings such as tool handles and peppermills. Some of the pens I made sold for 100's of dollars. I guarantee you if I take a pen I made on that little POS HF lathe and laid it next to a pen that was made on a Powermatic, you couldn't tell me what lathe which came from. My point is, do your own research and make your own decisions and when a guy who turns on a yellow lathe tells you that is the only thing worth buying, he probably hasn't done his research. My research tells me that the Powermatic lathe is a beast and an excellent machine. It also tells me that the lathe Im currently waiting for is just as good, maybe even better. Only time will tell. Oh and I paid $2500 less for my machine!!

Go to youtube and type Grizzly G0733 into the search box. There is a guy who owns it and a Jet 1642 and makes a comparison video. Also FWIW, if you've never dealt with Grizzly, I can tell you from personal experience, there is not another tool company that can top Grizzly customer service. I know Im not taking a risk on an unproven machine because no matter what, Grizzly will make it right. I can tell you a story about a table saw that they replaced that was out of warranty. Any other company would have told me to get lost.
    Last edited by Dennis Collier; 03-08-2015 at 7:32 AM.

Mark let me state that I have a lot of Grizzly products and am pretty happy with them. I had two Grizzly lathes the first was reeves drive and I think the model was G1647 pos that minimum speed was 600rpm. I then bought the G0698 with variable speed. It did the job pretty well, but I found a few things about it I didn't like. The first problem was the spindle was a little off size and the OneWay Talon chuck that I had got stuck on the spindle. Grizzly said something about aftermarket products not under warranty. I ended up breaking out the index pin holes getting the chuck off. I did some research online and found a simple fix. I also broke the toolrest on a out of balance blank, and Grizzly immediately sent me a new one. I had some aftermarket toolrest that were suppose to be the same size but they wouldn't fit. I ended up using a 1" drill bit and drilling out the banjo. Another easy fix. A couple other minor problems were that the set screws on my chucks tightened down on the spindle threads which I didn't much like. Another was the speed control which was loose as a goose. It was right beside the on/off switch and when I turned the lathe off or on I sometimes bumped the speed dial and that cause some interesting incidents. I used it for a couple years or so and turned a lot of bowls and I got to say it did the job. I purchased a new PM3520B three years ago and so far it has been fool proof. I kept the G0698 for a year or so, they were both set up side by side in the shop. I used the grizzly some but the PM was a lot more fun to work on. I finally sold it for less than half what I paid for it because I needed the space. I'm not knocking the Grizzly, but IMO the PM is worth the difference in the price. Most of the problems I had with the Grizzly were easily corrected but in my opinion they should have been corrected by the manufacturer.
    Fred

Roger Said; "*****As I have mentioned before.......ANY model lathe can and at times, does have problems on occassion. I have a friend who has a Oneway 2436 ....he has had parts replaced.......there is a thread over on WoW right now, where Sally Ault has a problem with her 3520b, and another 3520b owner had a problem over on the Wood Central forum. One of the turning clubs I belong to have had some issues with their 3520b.........they are by and large great lathes, and I am not putting them down.......I recommend them! I also recommend the upper end Grizzly lathes........they are good machines as well*****"

Dennis said; " there is not another tool company that can top Grizzly customer service. I know Im not taking a risk on an unproven machine because no matter what, Grizzly will make it right ***".

Roger is right, my new 3520B arrived and the Speed Control Switch did not work. The knob just turned freely without making contact. I called Redmond Machinery, who sold me the lathe, and they came to the house. a hour and fifteen minutes drive, to check it out. They determined that the switch was faulty and called Powermatic. Powermatic is sending a new switch and a technician to install it. Now that's what I call "Customer Service" and is the reason I switched.

I've been reading most of the threads on this new Grizzley lathe for a few weeks now, It's fascinating that so much can be said about a product that no one has seen yet, let alone actually worked with. Grizzley has taken their lumps over the years - both those it earned and a few that may not have been fair. I've worked with several tool importers for the last 30+ years and can tell you in no uncertain terms - you do indeed get what you pay for in all cases. The only way that two products can come from the same manfacturer at two wildly different price points is by compromising on the specifications. I would really doubt that the difference could possibly come from 'absorbing' a little profit loss by discounting a new model as an introduction.
    As with any new entrant, there are going to be early adopters who will gladly forge through the inevitable new product hits and misses to be on the bleeding edge of saving a bundle - and, of course those whose experience will mimic nirvana with the pure joy of ownership and the security of knowing they were right all along.
    I'm looking forward to the stories...