Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New model- G0766 [Upgrade possible!]

New model- G0766 [Upgrade possible!]

Well.........my 2015 Grizzly catalog arrived today........been looking forward to getting it, because, for a few weeks, without any specific knowledge about it, I just had this inner feeling that there might be a new lathe model this year.........nah, maybe just a thought, but wait maybe that feeling is there for a reason!

Sure enough, on page 146 of the new Grizz catalog, there she is! A bigger and upgraded model G0766! A 3hp, 22/42 lathe with Delta inverter and all the features of the G0733.........and a 22" swing ain't bad!

Now, the bed is 42" and my G0698 has a 47" bed.......if the gap in the ways is the same as the G0733. then I could just use the G0698 bed and have a unique 22/47 lathe!

While it is not my dream lathe, which is a Robust American Beauty, it is bigger in swing than a PM3520b, and has more hp to boot! .........Hummm...........Moma and the boys were good to me for Christmas..........hummm..........I talked with the tech guy at Grizzly, but they do not have the specs yet on the gap in the bed, but it sure looks the same as the G0733..........hummm........and it has a handwheel!!!! I should add the weight comes in at over 600 lbs.

Hummm...........I might just be the first to have a 22/47 lathe in my studio/shop!!! Whatcha think?
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-29-2014 at 10:58 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I think someone is more than a little pumped! Now I have to check it out...

Can not find it online. Must only be in the print catalog yet.

Quote Originally Posted by John M. Smith View Post
    Can not find it online. Must only be in the print catalog yet.
    Correct, John........it has been my experience that Grizzly changes their website to match the new catalog on New Years day or the day after, so unless you get the printed catalog, you cannot see it until then!

What is the introductory price?
    USMC '97-'01

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Petersen View Post
    What is the introductory price?
    A bargain if you ask me! $1550! It has no basket with it in the picture, but when the website is updated, I will take a look at that, but I took the basket off my G0698 anyway.

Well then, at that price I may jump on one too! Can't wait till it shows up online.
    USMC '97-'01

is that price for the headstock and tailstock or whole shebang.......seems if the gap is the same, all you would nedd to order is headstock and tailstock

Roger, that's going to be a good seller for Grizzly. Your hybrid would be a winner as well if possible. I seem to remember a lengthy thred on the model you have and think Grizzly benefitted so they should just give you one to review!!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Hayes Rutherford View Post
    Roger, that's going to be a good seller for Grizzly. Your hybrid would be a winner as well if possible. I seem to remember a lengthy thred on the model you have and think Grizzly benefitted so they should just give you one to review!!
    I may just sell mine outright and the 5 inches in bed length I would lose I can use for room to turn off the end. Tech guys said tail stock & headstock would be in $1500 range, so may as well buy whole new lathe.

Yep Hayes.......I think Grizzly benefited from my postings [pure speculation on my part!]......I have had a very good experience with my G0698 for 5 years, but never has there been any mention of a unit to review or a thank you or diddly squat! I have zero affiliation with Grizzly and when I call them......they don't even act like they know me and have to look up my info! Maybe they just did not realize until I posted about my positive experience with the 18/47 that in the turning community their lathe reputation was less than desirable, from the posts I read!

I think they have a good bargain for such a large lathe going here, so we may see..........maybe they feel like the product will stand on its own integrity!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-29-2014 at 9:41 PM.

And here I thought my mind was made up on the new lathe! Hope my catalog shows up tomorrow!! Can you post pic of the catalog page for us??
    Last edited by James Conrad; 12-29-2014 at 9:41 PM.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

12. Here is a camera shot of the page......as you can see, it appears backwards, but it is page 146 of the 2015 catalog.

DSC_0628.jpg

Roger, I am not sure what happened with your pic of the page, but I flipped it for you. Looks like an interesting product, particularly for the price. My main concern would be that it appears all the added weight is well above the center of gravity and that may make this lathe less able to deal with out of balance blanks. If that is the case, then one is getting increased swing and more power, but less stability. No one will know, however, until someone buys it and gives a review. This is your chance......
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Roger, I am not sure what happened with your pic of the page, but I flipped it for you. Looks like an interesting product, particularly for the price. My main concern would be that it appears all the added weight is well above the center of gravity and that may make this lathe less able to deal with out of balance blanks. If that is the case, then one is getting increased swing and more power, but less stability. No one will know, however, until someone buys it and gives a review. This is your chance......
    Mornin' JK! My plans were to add ballast by putting on shelf and weighting it down, like I did on my 18/47. My statement about the bed being possibly the same as the G0733 is just a guess on my part.... One cannot tell from the picture in the catalog........I was mainly referencing the gap ( how it looks)

likely the engineers beefed it up to account for the larger swing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post

Also the lowest speed is 100 rpm. A 20+ chunk of unbalance wood could cause some problems, but at the price it seems like a lot of lathe?
    Member Illiana Woodturners