Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: New model- G0766 [Upgrade possible!]

I am currently saving towards a Jet 16 X 42 EVS-2. This Grizzly model looks to match or exceed the Jet's specs, for $1000 less?!?
    (I could buy a nice BS with that grand!) This seems to good to be true! There a catch? Am I missing something??
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

2. Quote Originally Posted by Tom Megow View Post
    I am currently saving towards a Jet 16 X 42 EVS-2. This Grizzly model looks to match or exceed the Jet's specs, for $1000 less?!?
    (I could buy a nice BS with that grand!) This seems to good to be true! There a catch? Am I missing something??
    No catch.........introductory price and will go up next year. Larger lathe and money for a band saw......I know what I would do!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Megow View Post
    Grizzly has free shipping on some of their band saws. See their web site for which ones. That will make your savings go even farther.

Red
    RED

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post
    While I have never seen a photo of the owner (he is reported to be very camera shy) I figured it was him.
    I Google-stalked him, the only photos I could find come from his being Captain of a Washington State shooting team. In fact I ran across a wood-blog site where the author talked about that the only photos of his face are from the shooting club.
    Yup that was him that approved the deal I got
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

5. I have been pondering this power thing........the generic pics and stats on the Burt Group site states 1500w output........I do know that equipment specs can be specified by a vendor to meet their criteria. I am wondering if that lathe is offered by the Burt Group with 2 hp motor and that Grizzly decided to upgrade that to a 3 hp motor? I did do some looking at the Delta M series inverter......it is a sensorless vector micro A/C drive.......which an electrical engineer said is the best and smoothest kind.

I have no specific info on the motor theory I just posited, but that would make perfect sense in that Grizzly has not yet released specs on their model, only stating it is a 3 hp, 3 phase motor which translates to greater efficiency, than a single phase motor, and then the inverter that is the best kind, ..........and the Burt Group just puts out a generic info sheet. Hummm........just thinking a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    [snip] Second, the headstock casting and motor are very heavy on the G0733, and no doubt heavier on the G0766. To reverse them 180 degrees, they must be lifted high enough for the cast indexing tongue to clear the center gap of the ways, then maneuvered and lowered back down without marring the cast iron. Having done this once, I'm pretty certain that few turners would ever want to do it twice.[snip]
    Wanted to correct what I posted above, earlier in the thread, so that it isn't misleading to someone researching the G0766 or G0733 in the future. I had forgotten that when I reversed the headstock, I already had the nut off the headstock clamp bolt, so I just lifted the headstock up and off the bed. Another way, and no doubt what the engineers intended, is to slide the headstock off the ways, after removing the small post that serves as a bed stop (just as you would do at the opposite end to remove the tailstock). Doesn't make the headstock any lighter, but it's easier than lifting it straight up.

7. Another thing that makes me think this is a bigger motor..........there is a difference in the handle to lift the motor for belt changes.......it looks to be a different configuration and heavier as well. The one in the Burt Group pic is like what is on the G0698 I have and the G0733 take a look at the one on the G0766. Not really sure what all this means, but you would think that there are definite differences on these units for a reason!

Roger
    I may have forgotten a bunch on motor theory (I did take a 400 series motor theory and design class while getting my EE degree), but not that much.
    The Burt group spec does CONSUME 3HP, it just doesn't PRODUCE 3HP.
    I strongly suspect that like so many other Grizzly power claims, they are, optimistic.
    A lot like the Grizzly lathe that claimed to get 2HP from a 15a@120V circuit (just doesn't happen)
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Lindberg View Post
    Roger
    I may have forgotten a bunch on motor theory (I did take a 400 series motor theory and design class while getting my EE degree), but not that much.
    The Burt group spec does CONSUME 3HP, it just doesn't PRODUCE 3HP.
    I strongly suspect that like so many other Grizzly power claims, they are, optimistic.
    A lot like the Grizzly lathe that claimed to get 2HP from a 15a@120V circuit (just doesn't happen)
    I am aware of what you are saying, Ralph.....you are correct in the input info based on the generic info sheet from the BG. I see some changes in the Grizzly's unit that are different from that generic info pic & sheet, and wonder if Grizzly made specs to meet their criteria......I have seen it before. I guess I will know for sure when I can read the plate on the motor when the unit arrives. I appreciate your input on this thread....it has been helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I am aware of what you are saying, Ralph.....you are correct in the input info based on the generic info sheet from the BG. I see some changes in the Grizzly's unit that are different from that generic info pic & sheet, and wonder if Grizzly made specs to meet their criteria......I have seen it before. I guess I will know for sure when I can read the plate on the motor when the unit arrives. I appreciate your input on this thread....it has been helpful!
    Roger, it is a very nice lathe and will serve you well. When I bought my Robust AB, I bought the 2 HP version because I know that is more than adequate power. It might not satisfy those who approach turning as if it were an Iron Man competition. I prefer to work in harmony with the wood rather than bludgeoning it. I have an Advanced Lathe Tools boring bar rig for deep hollowing and I haven't come close to overloading the motor when hollowing dry mesquite. I haven't tried coring yet, but lots of turners do it with their 2 HP Powermatics.

Consider it icing on the cake if it is 3 HP, but don't feel disappointed if it isn't. I agree with Ralph's assessment. The Grizzly site also says that it requires a 220 v (they should have said 240 v) 15 Amp branch circuit. It wouldn't be likely that you could operate a 3 HP motor on a 15 Amp circuit without nuisance tripping of the breaker under full load conditions. Before the days of inverters, the NEC required a certain amount of headroom over full load current to handle start up current. There is also power factor which accounts for "unusable" current that is nevertheless still necessary. I can't think of a good layman's analogy to explain that one. With soft-start, the start up current is greatly reduced, but there is still locked rotor current if the motor is stalled during an Iron Man turning event.
    Bill

I hear you loud and clear, Mr. Boehme! I am not obsessed with this, even though it might sound like it to some. I have just been thinking about what I have seen and heard, and the differences in what the other model large Grizzly's have, and then wonder about the possible explanations, in what I see here with this new model and the changes from the generic BG page and what is actually in the Grizz catalog.

I really do appreciate your correspondence with me and your expertise in explaining the issues over email and your input here as well! I trust your knowledge on matters such as this!

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 01-04-2015 at 3:50 PM.

12. I was looking at the Grizzly catalog and carefully going over the pics of the new G0766 and comparing them to the G0733 18/47 that has been termed "heavy duty" in their catalog. Looking carefully, one can see the legs are bigger than the ones on the G0733. They are configured in the same design but they are a bit heavier. You can see they are wider in the casting than the G0733 and the stance is a bit wider as well, so that means a little more cast iron in the lathe.

That should help the stability of the unit, as the 22" swing will mean heavier pieces will be accommodated. Just an observation, I thought was interesting. Not sure you can tell the same on the website, but the catalog pics definitely show it.

13. I was looking at the comparison charts on lathe specs on Grizzly's website. Comparing the G0733 18/47 and the new G0766 22/42. While they do not give the bed width on the G0733 18/47, I went out and measured the bed on the 18/47 G0698 I have and it is 7 inches wide. The specs on the G0766 state the bed is 10 inches wide. That would mean considerable size increase and as posted above, the catalog shows a wider leg casting as well, if one looks closely, although they are designed with the same configuration.

These things lead me to believe they increased the mass, the footprint and the weight to match the larger swing on the lathe. Just FYI, in case people might be wondering about the size in comparison with other lathes on the market.

Is that measuring across the ways or across the widest part of the casting - the bottom at the legs?
    Last edited by Thom Sturgill; 01-24-2015 at 7:27 PM.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

15. Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Is that measuring across the ways or ocross the widest part of the casting - the bottom at the legs.=?
    I am not certain, Thom. Just in case I measured the top across my G0698 which is 7 inches, the bottom of the casting was 8-1/2".......not sure how the stats on Grizzly's comparison page were measured, top or bottom, but either way it is a bigger casting than the current 18/47 unit.