Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: New model- G0766 [Upgrade possible!]

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    I've been careful to attempt not to try to rain on anyones parade here, but the thought that a difference in price in excess of 120% can come solely from the difference in distribution channels, currency valuations or anything else that doesn't include variations in specifications or process controls is definitely in the 'glass half full' demographic. I sincerely hope you're right.
    I've seen piles of castings that came from offshore that looked perfect but proved to be more than 10% short of their spec. weight because of cavities filled with the equivalent of bondo.
    What I was attempting to point out is that even though the photos may show fit and finish worthy of the best of breed, no one has actually seen one of these beasts as of yet, and, until that happens, everything we want to believe is pure speculation. I have a guy on staff who can photoshop a Yugo into a Lamborghini given enough time.
    I would like nothing more than to believe that I could buy a lathe with 2 inches more swing, more horsepower and equal fit and finish to a lathe that has proven to be solidly among the most popular and sought after pieces of equipment in the industry at less than half the price. I'd like that, but pardon me if I seem somewhat dubious until proven wrong.
    Here is the message that I think is getting lost. I have many Grizzly tools. Lets just take my G1023RL cabinet saw vs the PM2000. The 1023RL has been a solid performer day in and day out for the last 4 years. It is a joy to use and at the end of the day, you could not tell the difference between something made on the G01023RL and the PM2000. It also cost me 1/2 of what the PM2000 cost!!!! Is it as refined as the PM2000? maybe not. The PM2000 has a larger table which is nice but it is not twice as good as the 1023RL. The little added value of the PM is not worth 2x the cost. I expect the G0766 to be the same solid performer as the 1023RL. All the function as the 3520 at half the cost with very little loss of quality.

Unless somebody can show me the acutual manufacturing cost associated with both lathes, I am not convinced that PM(and Jet for that matter) is worth anywhere near 2x the cost of the equlivant Grizzly machine. I am guessing the costs are closer than one might think. I have a PM1200 drill press(1985 made in the good Ole USA no less) that looks like a 2 year old painted it with a $2 spray can and a Jet sander that looks like the same 2 year old flattend the table with a hand held angle grinder.
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 03-10-2015 at 2:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Seyfried View Post
    While I'm not questioning the quality or features of this new lathe, but, I respectfully disagree that because two things were made at the same factory or even assembled on the same assembly line makes them similar in quality or features. I have worked in many auto factories and I know that they are built to the specification for each model. If one model calls for a lesser quality bearing or less clutch plates that’s what it gets. At least that is how it works for U.S. auto factories. I would be surprised if it worked differently in tool factories.
    Agree with this, as I do with Jeffrey to the extent he was at bottom making a similar point. I've long felt that many factories, including those of the Burt Group in Shandong, and certainly many in Taiwan, are as capable of producing precision equipment as any. And of course there are factory firsts and seconds that can come off any given assembly line. It's the specifications, tolerances and overall quality control required by the importer that can determine whether, among similar-looking products with different colors of paint, one is a precision product, another a serviceable product, and another a boat anchor.

I think the point that several have made on the G0766 lathe in particular is that Grizzly has upped it's game on it's larger lathes over the last several years and the quality that many have found in the G0733 might reasonably be carried over to the G0766. That could be wrong, of course. But Grizzly is nothing if not savvy in executing its business plan. Right now we're all pretty much guessing, but I suspect the roll-out of this new lathe, and the "shock and awe" introductory pricing, is specifically targeted at the middle-market niche that the PM 3520B has comfortably occupied, with good reason, for years.

3. Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    I think the point that several have made on the G0766 lathe in particular is that Grizzly has upped it's game on it's larger lathes over the last several years and the quality that many have found in the G0733 might reasonably be carried over to the G0766. That could be wrong, of course. But Grizzly is nothing if not savvy in executing its business plan. Right now we're all pretty much guessing, but I suspect the roll-out of this new lathe, and the "shock and awe" introductory pricing, is specifically targeted at the middle-market niche that the PM 3520B has comfortably occupied, with good reason, for years.
    I think you probably nailed it David.......it is likely the point of this 22x42 lathe to provide an alternative in this category of lathes currently occupied by the the 3520b. Just from what I have personally witnessed with the refinements on woodworking equipment in general........it seems that what is produced now in ISO 9001 factories has much better fit, finish and performance over top of machines produced 15 years ago. Some may disagree with that, but for the most part, if a person knows what they are buying because they have done their research, and know what the best features of a machine are, then it is a pretty good "bet" if one wants to call it that.

There can always be a lemon to come off any assembly line.......automobile or woodworking machine. I have a BIL who has a Cadillac and has had numerous problems with it.........engine smokes almost since it was new.......dealer says "that is normal!" He has basically had to keep a few bottles of oil in the trunk and add every so often........they would not fix it and he was basically stuck!

I have done wood working for the better part of 30 years.......I have used many makes/brands, either in my own shop or at friends shops and for the upper end Grizzly tools.......they are as good as Delta, Powermatic, Jet and others. I realize that there may be some who do not feel this way, but that has been my experience! I trust my judgment! I know what my frame of reference is and experience has been! Besides, this is not a contest about who has the best whatever.........it is a personal decision for every individual to acquire what they believe will serve their turning needs and financial interests.

I think we will find as you have stated David, that Grizzly has upped its game once again, with this new G0766!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

The 3520b is 10.5 inches center to bed, making it 21 inch swing. I assume the Grizzly is 11 inch. I was surprised to learn Powermatic did this.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Right now we're all pretty much guessing,
    David et al - that's all I was pointing out. Until you've got one in your shop, everyone is guessing. I do hope it works out, and, to tell the truth, I'm one who thinks that those who got in at the introductory price are getting a screaming deal. I'm also one who thinks the Powermatic, as good a machine as it is, doesn't set the bar so high that a good importer can't nudge it up a bit. Even if you wind up replacing parts early, the difference in cost buys a ton of spares.
    But then while I've bought the best lathe I can find, I'm one who truly believes in buying the cheapest excercise equipment on the market - after all, you're buying resistance anyway...

If the quality of the new G0766 is anything as good as my new G0733 it is going to be one fine machine.
    I just got my 733 home and in the shop yesterday evening, after hearing some of the horror stories [most from people who have never turned on one] I was somewhat concerned about what I would find when I got my lathe uncrated. I was relieved to find my fears were unfounded.
    Maybe i'm just lucky but I would put my lathe up against anything as far as quality goes. The motor runs quiet and smooth, the spindle runs true and the centers are dead on the entire length of the ways.
    I'm not brand loyal to anyone, my shop has a little of everything, some good and some not so good. Shopfox 15'' planer, Rikon 14'' bandsaw, an older 14'' Delta bandsaw, Jet 16-32 belt sander, Jet jointer, and an old Craftsman 10'' table saw to name a few.
    I aint no spring chicken either, been making saw dust and shavings for over 50 years. I certainly don't profess to know it all, i'm still learning, but one thing I do know and that is a quality piece of equipment when I see it.

Glad to hear you got it Daryl and you like it. I know Grizzly has good quality and I'm sure the 0766 will be no different. Enjoy!

Red
    RED

8. Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    If the quality of the new G0766 is anything as good as my new G0733 it is going to be one fine machine.
    I just got my 733 home and in the shop yesterday evening, after hearing some of the horror stories [most from people who have never turned on one] I was somewhat concerned about what I would find when I got my lathe uncrated. I was relieved to find my fears were unfounded.
    Maybe i'm just lucky but I would put my lathe up against anything as far as quality goes. The motor runs quiet and smooth, the spindle runs true and the centers are dead on the entire length of the ways.
    I'm not brand loyal to anyone, my shop has a little of everything, some good and some not so good. Shopfox 15'' planer, Rikon 14'' bandsaw, an older 14'' Delta bandsaw, Jet 16-32 belt sander, Jet jointer, and an old Craftsman 10'' table saw to name a few.
    I aint no spring chicken either, been making saw dust and shavings for over 50 years. I certainly don't profess to know it all, i'm still learning, but one thing I do know and that is a quality piece of equipment when I see it.
    Hey Daryl..........told 'ya so!!! I knew you would be pleased and remember I told you that the G0733 was not an inferior lathe.......man you got a nice setup now, and I am looking forward to what you produce from it! If you have any questions related to aftermarket items [toolrest post] and such fitting, then feel free to send me a PM and I will be glad to help you in any way I can! Congratulations!

Thanks Randy and Roger.
    Roger I appreciate the offer of help, i'm sure there will be some things that come up later and I won't hesitate to ask.
    Been out in the shop ''puttering around'' mounted a 3'' square just to get the feel for my new lathe, all I can say is WOW!!!!! This thing is awesome and I couldn't be happier.

I gave them a call today to check on expected arrival and was told that they are not expected in Muncy, PA until June 24, 2015.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Rich Sabulsky View Post
    I gave them a call today to check on expected arrival and was told that they are not expected in Muncy, PA until June 24, 2015.
    Seems the Missouri Distribution center will get them first [May 22nd] not sure why, but that is the info I have gotten.

Looking ahead to the lathe arriving. I need it to be mobile on casters due to the size of my shop. A couple of concerns come to mind. 1) drive center height - shouldn't be too bad as I'm 6'3" and generally like my center higher than most. 2) Stability with larger pieces. probably won't do a lot of off balance pieces but still a concern. I would prefer to have casters that can be lowered for moving and raised during turning for stability. Does anyone have any recommendations? Woodcraft has their heavy duty casters on sale this month for 30%off.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Belton Garvin View Post
    Looking ahead to the lathe arriving. I need it to be mobile on casters due to the size of my shop. A couple of concerns come to mind. 1) drive center height - shouldn't be too bad as I'm 6'3" and generally like my center higher than most. 2) Stability with larger pieces. probably won't do a lot of off balance pieces but still a concern. I would prefer to have casters that can be lowered for moving and raised during turning for stability. Does anyone have any recommendations? Woodcraft has their heavy duty casters on sale this month for 30%off.
    Something like this will work nicely. One of the clubs I belong to has this on their 3520b, and made a homemade version for their Jet 1642 evs........one can be fabricated. It allows for the lathe to lift to roll it around and let down to sit firmly on the ground for stability when turning.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merc...s-acc-mob-lift

The Lift-n-Lock actually comes in several "size" models. Unless Grizzly can provide accurate measurements I would wait until the lathes arrive.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by Belton Garvin View Post
    Here is a post showing the casters I used: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hlight=casters