Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: New model- G0766 [Upgrade possible!]

Roger, to your first post about the longer bed. I spoke to one of the Grizzly tech`s and asked if they were anticipating a bed extension. As of now he said No, but they might in the near future. I also asked about and outboard tool rest and he said none was available and you would have to build your own. Still all in all a Very nice lathe for the price! And I`m seriously considering jumping on one before the introductory price goes up.

If we haven't yet cleared up the power requirement for the GO766 it is a 15 amp 220v single phase. I got lucky as right behind the shop wall where my lathe is going
    is my garage where I have a plug in for a plasma cutter with the exact same plug in. I simply will have to drill a hole on the wall and plug in the lathe. So if the cord is at least
    5 foot, I'm all set.
    Last edited by Steve Huffman; 01-25-2015 at 4:18 PM.

If we haven't yet cleared up the power requirement for the GO766 it is a 15 amp 220v single phase. I got lucky as right behind the shop wall where my lathe is going
    is my garage where I have a plug in for a plasma cutter with the exact same plug in. I simply will have to drill a hole on the wall and plug in the lathe. So if the cord is at least
    5 foot, I'm all set.

So if the cord is at least
    5 foot, I'm all set.

Steve the Grizzly bandsaw I got came without a power cord, you might check.
    Fred

5. Quote Originally Posted by Steve Huffman View Post
    5 foot, I'm all set.
    I think the cord on my G0698 is about 5 ft.......never actually measured it, but I think it is close to that, maybe 6 ft. If length is a problem, that is easily solved........purchase some 10-3 wire from an electrical supplier and put the correct end on it, to make a 220v extension cord.......not sure about the G0766, but my G0698 has a NEMA-16 plug on the end of the cord.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the manual calls for wiring, but I would think a 20amp 240v breaker will be adequate, needing only 12 gauge wiring.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

7. Quote Originally Posted by James Conrad View Post
    I guess we'll have to wait and see what the manual calls for wiring, but I would think a 20amp 240v breaker will be adequate, needing only 12 gauge wiring.
    You are correct.......a 20 amp, 240v breaker will be more than enough! I was just over doing the extension cord size so as to not put too much resistance ........but a 12/3 line will be more than adequate.

Well, count me in on the new 766. Placed my order tonight online, have no idea when it will come into stock, but, what the heck at this price and all of the features, hard to pass up. Hope I get a 30 day heads up on the shipping so I can list my Jet Lathe online to counter the expense. I guess whoever get's theirs first will start the review process.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    Well, count me in on the new 766. Placed my order tonight online, have no idea when it will come into stock, but, what the heck at this price and all of the features, hard to pass up. Hope I get a 30 day heads up on the shipping so I can list my Jet Lathe online to counter the expense. I guess whoever get's theirs first will start the review process.
    Conrats on your G0766, Scott. You will more likely get an email saying your lathe has shipped. I went ahead and sold my G0698, but still have on premises.......our club has to run circuit 240v for it in the turning area......I will probably deliver it in the next couple of weeks.

Set up is critical for accuracy on your new lathe.......for centers to align correctly, you need to level the bed end to end, front to back and diagonal.........not sure what lathe you are currently using, but if a smaller, fixed head, it will be a different set of requirements.

To accommodate aftermarket tool rests with a 1" post, you will need to open the hole on the banjo a tad as the post diameter is machined to metric dimensions (25mm) but that only takes a drill bit and some oil. Not all aftermarket rests or chuck inserts are consistent in machining specs either...........I have bought aftermarket rests with 1" posts that were actually 0.010 over, and the post had to be ground down a bit to fit a 1" hole. I

I have had inserts from the same manufacturer be different in size at the shoulder area (Nova chucks) and had to make an adjustment on them as well, to fit properly on the spindle. If you run into a snag,let me know & I will try to help you.......in the past some people were quick to think it was the lathe, but the sloppy machining of aftermarket parts was to blame with poor fit. Calipers don't lie! Know that they machine to metric dimensions up front, and easy adjustments can be made!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 01-31-2015 at 3:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    To accommodate aftermarket tool rests with a 1" post, you will need to open the hole on the banjo a tad as the post diameter is machined to metric dimensions (25mm) but that only takes a drill bit and some oil. Not all aftermarket rests or chuck inserts are consistent in machining specs either...........I have bought aftermaeket rest with 1" posts that were actually 0.010 over, and the post had to be ground down a bit to fit a 1" hole. ....
    Good points, I have one of the first Chinese made Teknatool Nova DVR-XP lathes, with mine the tool post shaft was milled to 25.4mm, while the hole in the Banjo was 25mm. I milled the hole out to match all 1 inch posts.
    Of course I complained to Teknatool and they adjusted the manufacturing.

But there are still "metric" 1" tool posts and banjos out there. A metric 1 inch tool post is really not a problem, it's the banjo.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

One would think that Grizzly would spec the banjo and rests on their lathes to be sold in the US at 1", since that seems to be the standard. They use the standard Imperial sizing on the spindle threads, etc. I have several Grizzly machines, and like them, but this seems an easy modification that would enhance the products.

12. Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    One would think that Grizzly would spec the banjo and rests on their lathes to be sold in the US at 1", since that seems to be the standard. They use the standard Imperial sizing on the spindle threads, etc. I have several Grizzly machines, and like them, but this seems an easy modification that would enhance the products.
    I agree, John! A really simple coversion. What I think is that the manufacturer also sells this lathe in other foreign markets [according to the Burt Group page] that use metric sizing, and having to change specs to accommodate U.S. measurements would require re-tooling, and up the cost quite a bit. This is however a very simple fix!

13. Update.......just trying to post this information on all the threads concerning the G0766 lathe. Latest conversation today with Grizzly customer service is a ship date of May 22nd out of the Missouri warehouse. Also, should the shipment arrive earlier, they will ship earlier. This is far better than the July 17th date that was posted by someone earlier.

Just FYI for those who wanted to know.

I have been daily ogling this lathe, and finally have enough $$$ to purchase it. I was leaning to the Jet JWL-1642-EVS-2 hp, but delivered at $1700 for this Grizzly, if I can get the space for it, I'm in on one. It will save me $1000 and that buys a lot of wood and tools. Please post as soon as you have yours installed and tested, so I can make my purchase.

15. No spindle lock makes this lathe a non starter. I guess they had to cut corners somewhere to make the price point