Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New model- G0766 [Upgrade possible!]

Thumbs up

Very interesting lathe, Roger. Especially the 3 hp motor and the swiveling headstock. Sounds like the AC 3-phase motor and VFD are both from Delta Electronics, as with the G0733. Very reliable performers, with good regional tech support from Delta in the U.S.

I also see that, at 662 lbs, the shipping weight is 115 lbs heavier than the G0733. So you may be right about the engineers beefing things up. Adding ballast to the base should bring running weight to near or above 1000 lbs. Like you, I added ballast to my G0733. I was able to increase it 450 lbs using nine bags of play sand and the lathe's packing materials for the cabinetry. I'm guessing you could add 375 or even 400 lbs to the G0766 the same way.

As you continue your due diligence, you may want to ask if Grizzly has added a braking resistor to the Delta VFD this time around. Not a big deal, but it would be a nice touch. The G0733 did not come with one even though the drive has dedicated terminals for it. I added one for about $30, but it requires unlocking the drive and changing some of the parameters. Perhaps Grizzly has now done that at the factory.

I'm with John. I can't think of anyone better suited to write a review of the G0766 for SMC.

David
    Last edited by David C. Roseman; 12-30-2014 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Corrected typo to SMC

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Also the lowest speed is 100 rpm. A 20+ chunk of unbalance wood could cause some problems, but at the price it seems like a lot of lathe?
    I think the listing of 100 rpms is likely a situation where they just put specs to suit their needs. My experience with the G0698 was that it had a little hunt in the original 0-3200 or 0-1200 listing of the G0698 specs.....instead or resetting the inverter, they changed the advertised specs to what you now see....100-1200 low, and 300-3200 high, but my lathe will run along just fine at 60 rpm on the low setting and 100 rpm on the high belt setting. I have never put a piece of wood on that lathe that the speed was too high for as it relates to the low speed..........never been an issue whatsoever!

I agree, Bob......at least it sounds like a lot of lathe for the money!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Very interesting lathe, Roger. Especially the 3 hp motor and the swiveling headstock. Sounds like the AC 3-phase motor and VFD are both from Delta Electronics, as with the G0733. Very reliable performers, with good regional tech support from Delta in the U.S.

I also see that, at 662 lbs, the shipping weight is 115 lbs heavier than the G0733. So you may be right about the engineers beefing things up. Adding ballast to the base should bring running weight to near or above 1000 lbs. Like you, I added ballast to my G0733. I was able to increase it 450 lbs using nine bags of play sand and the lathe's packing materials for the cabinetry. I'm guessing you could add 375 or even 400 lbs to the G0766 the same way.

As you continue your due diligence, you may want to ask if Grizzly has added a braking resistor to the Delta VFD this time around. Not a big deal, but it would be a nice touch. The G0733 did not come with one even though the drive has dedicated terminals for it. I added one for about $30, but it requires unlocking the drive and changing some of the parameters. Perhaps Grizzly has now done that at the factory.

I'm with John. I can't think of anyone better suited to write a review of the G0766 for TBN.

David
    David.........no swiveling headstock! It is rotatable, meaning one can lift it off the ways and reposition it 180 degrees opposite, just like the G0733. A breaking resistor might be nice, but I do not think it is necessary. I have never had a piece just continue to run when I have turned the speed dial down. It just seems to decrease in proportion to the speed dial setting as I decrease the speed. When I have turned my unit off, it just slows down quickly without being violent about it....just a smooth stop.......sort of like approaching a red light in a car,.........it just slows when the brake is applied without screetching the tires! At least that is my experience with the 18/47.........YMMV!

What does TBN stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I think the listing of 100 rpms is likely a situation where they just put specs to suit their needs. My experience with the G0698 was that it had a little hunt in the original 0-3200 or 0-1200 listing of the G0698 specs.....instead or resetting the inverter, they changed the advertised specs to what you now see....100-1200 low, and 300-3200 high, but my lathe will run along just fine at 60 rpm on the low setting and 100 rpm on the high belt setting. I have never put a piece of wood on that lathe that the speed was too high for as it relates to the low speed..........never been an issue whatsoever!

I agree, Bob......at least it sounds like a lot of lathe for the money!
    FWIW, my G0733 handles heavy bowl blanks at 50 rpm, no problem and with no hunt. That's without tweaking the drive parameters, which could always be done (although I wouldn't do it during the warranty period).

David

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    FWIW, my G0733 handles heavy bowl blanks at 50 rpm, no problem and with no hunt. That's without tweaking the drive parameters, which could always be done (although I wouldn't do it during the warranty period).

David
    I agree.....no problems with slow rpms! I was posting the same time you were........what did TBN mean? Also, did you notice this new model has a handwheel?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    David.........no swiveling headstock! It is rotatable, meaning one can lift it off the ways and reposition it 180 degrees opposite, just like the G0733. [snip]

What does TBN stand for?
    Ahh, thanks for the clarification on the headstock. Lifting and rotating that puppy 180 degrees is not something that I'd ever want to do, as long as there is room to slide it down to the opposite end.

Sorry about the TBN, I meant SMC! TBN is a tractor forum. I've corrected the post.

Yes, I saw they've added a handwheel. Very nice, that saves making one.

David
    Last edited by David C. Roseman; 12-30-2014 at 10:23 AM.

Well that sounds like a good lathe. Maybe my catalog will come in today's mail. I have been considering the Grizzly G0632 but will take a good look at this new model.

Red
    RED

8. After taking some time to go back and read details a little more carefully, I want to share what the Grizzly catalog says"

" This lathe is perfect for serious woodturners who want to turn large bowls, furniture pieces and other large-diamteter projects. With 22" of swing, a heavy duty 1-1/4" X 8 tpi, RH spindle, electronic variable peed control, and a 3 hp 3 phase motor than runs off single-phase power, using a variable frequency drive. this lathe has plenty of clearance and torque to easily rough-out big projects at low speeds. The Heavy duty cast iron bed and stand make this lathe extremely stable, and the headstock can rotate 180 degrees and positioned anywhere along the bed......"

Based upon this information in the catalog, my presumption would be that the legs and bed are built fairly heavy, as well as the spindle, as it is mentioned as heavy duty also, and the claim of stability is likely genuine. Just thought folk might want to hear this seeing the website won't be updated until new years.

This sounds like a great deal. I bought a nova 1624-44 a few years ago. It works great. But, for the price this seems to be a step up and a lot cheaper than a powermatic.

I just received my Grizzly catalog in the mail this afternoon. It looks to be a very nice lathe for the money ($1,550) Also the G0632 has dropped down to $1,395. I need to decide on which one I will order in earl spring.

Red
    RED

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Bemont View Post
    I just received my Grizzly catalog in the mail this afternoon. It looks to be a very nice lathe for the money ($1,550) Also the G0632 has dropped down to $1,395. I need to decide on which one I will order in earl spring.

Red
    Red or Roger - Did the 2015 catalog price drop for the G0733 as well? For 2014 it's been $1695 (can't recall exactly what I paid in 2012, but I also had the 5% coupon from the 2012 catalog). So at $1550, the G0766 would be $140 less. That's pretty remarkable.

Roger, I know you've been happy with your G0698, and my experience with the G0733 has been excellent. The G0766 looks like a larger, beefed-up version of the G0733, with a 3 hp AC motor and the same or better Delta VFD. You could probably confirm that by comparing the parts numbers for the drives, etc. on the two lathes using the parts lists on Grizzly's website once the G0766 is posted next week. So I doubt there would be significant unknown issues to sort out as on many new products. I don't mean to encourage you to do anything rash, but were I even thinking about getting an additional lathe, I wouldn't hesitate to add it to my shop.

David

12. Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Red or Roger - Did the 2015 catalog price drop for the G0733 as well? For 2014 it's been $1695 (can't recall exactly what I paid in 2012, but I also had the 5% coupon from the 2012 catalog). So at $1550, the G0766 would be $140 less. That's pretty remarkable.

Roger, I know you've been happy with your G0698, and my experience with the G0733 has been excellent. The G0766 looks like a larger, beefed-up version of the G0733, with a 3 hp AC motor and the same or better Delta VFD. You could probably confirm that by comparing the parts numbers for the drives, etc. on the two lathes using the parts lists on Grizzly's website once the G0766 is posted next week. So I doubt there would be significant unknown issues to sort out as on many new products. I don't mean to encourage you to do anything rash, but were I even thinking about getting an additional lathe, I wouldn't hesitate to add it to my shop.

David
    The price remained $1695 on the G0733....I am about 85% there on pulling the trigger on this, David! Parts list and schematic drawings next for my inspection. Will likely go to Muncy, PA and pick it up!

I see Roger beat me to it. The G0733 is at $1,695.

Red
    RED

On paper, between the G0733 and the G0766, seems the only minus depending on the type of turnings you do, is the 5" less between centers. Can't see much else missing really, and is $145 less...

You might have to race the freight truck to my door to see who gets it first Roger!
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

What does "3 HP" mean? How might it compare the "3 HP" of other brands? More? Less? All sorts of claims get made for horsepower with power tools, but the same number of horsepower doesn't always mean the same useful power. Various measurements and criteria are used. Where does Grizzly fit?