Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: New model- G0766 [Upgrade possible!]

My catalog came today. It does look good and I would love to hear someone's experience. The one thing that surprises me is the 15Amp power supply for a 3HP motor. I guess it's just under the 80% rule.

We need to remember that Grizzly is often, ah optimistic about their horse-power claims vrs actual power consumed.
    Like their lathe that gets 2HP from a 120V @ 15 amp circuit.
    That being said, this lathe appears to be a great possibility.

A few years ago the owner of Grizzly (and ShopFox) was active on another wood-working forum, he entered a discussion of his (then) line up of lathes, and got an education on their short comings (unique thread sizing on heads, really high minimum speeds, etc). I noticed that many of the lathes got their specs changed in the next couple years, common thread sizing (1x8, 1-1/4x8, etc), better low end speeds, etc.

I wonder why I haven't gotten a Grizzly catalog yet, maybe I have fallen off their list as I haven't bought anything in 6 or 7 years (industrial band-saw was the last big ticket item)
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

From the Burt Group website:02) Motor(W): 2200W (input), 1500W(output)

That mean's it's only drawing 10 amps and producing ~2HP, although it does consume ~3HP
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

5. you know guys, I am not worried about all this motor stuff.....just me personally. I read those same stats J.D. listed in his post above, but with electronic inverters and such all this stuff is tuned and I think this is still a lot of lathe for the money, and I am going to post my experience with this.

I have turned on 9 different 3520b machines and one Robust American Beauty with a 3 hp motor..........I have stalled both the Robust and the 3520b with too heavy a cut. I think this stuff is all perspective and what the issue is for me is coring [when I finally get a coring rig] I believe this lathe will handle that with ease, because I read a post or two over the years from others that have a G0698 like mine and they cored just fine on it, and this lathe is a step up in power and electronic inverter over what I have now.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 01-01-2015 at 1:04 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    My catalog came today. It does look good and I would love to hear someone's experience. The one thing that surprises me is the 15Amp power supply for a 3HP motor. I guess it's just under the 80% rule.
    Powermatic 4224b lists the motor as 3hp and has a FLA of 10 amps .
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Myers View Post
    Powermatic 4224b lists the motor as 3hp and has a FLA of 10 amps .
    Yeah, in the manual the "Listed FLA" is 10 amps which I believe is what the motor plate has listed on it. That would be 10 amps for each leg of three phase, so at 220V single phase it would be 15 amps (going into the VFD). They list a 20 amp breaker under recommended breaker size. For 3 HP this makes sense to my admittedly limited understanding of electric motors.

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking the new Grizzly lathe. It looks to be a great value and something I might be interested in at some point. I just think it's wise to be an informed buyer, purchase with eyes wide open, know what you are getting (and what you are not getting). I'm very much looking forward to Roger's thoughts on his new lathe! I think he will love it.

It comes down to waiting to see what the reviews are of the from the first few buyers of the G0766. Would like to see the parts list once Grizzly has it on the website. Curious to see what they did for spindle bearings on this one.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

9. Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    Yeah, in the manual the "Listed FLA" is 10 amps which I believe is what the motor plate has listed on it. That would be 10 amps for each leg of three phase, so at 220V single phase it would be 15 amps (going into the VFD). They list a 20 amp breaker under recommended breaker size. For 3 HP this makes sense to my admittedly limited understanding of electric motors.

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking the new Grizzly lathe. It looks to be a great value and something I might be interested in at some point. I just think it's wise to be an informed buyer, purchase with eyes wide open, know what you are getting (and what you are not getting). I'm very much looking forward to Roger's thoughts on his new lathe! I think he will love it.
    Doug........if there is 15amps going into the inverter, on a PM3520b, I wonder if the 2200 watt [when converted to hp rating is almost 3 hp] listing on the input side is what is on each of the 3 phases and the 1500 output watts are what it is converted to for the lathe to transfer to the spindle? This all is over my head, but I think we would like to understand it better......perhaps we can get Bill Boehme to chime in and set us straight on all this!

Edit - I have emailed Bill, who is an electrical engineer with the respective links on this lathe and have asked him to chime in..........he will probably do it on the other thread where I ordered it, but we should get some definitive info on all this input/output power stuff and such when he gets time to take a look! I trust his judgment and knowledge on these issues!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 01-01-2015 at 2:42 PM.

FYI .... I just downloaded the 2015 Catalog from Grizzly, all the info as typically provided is available.

I currently turn on a Jet 14-42, for the most part I've got no complaints .... the variable speed via the Reeves drive is archaic, it still functions after 10 years of steady weekend usage.

That being said, damn that new Grizzly is calling my name! My one concern is the " rotating" head stock, does it simply unlock and spin like my Jet does? Being short legged I appreciate being able to turn my work towards me a little which makes getting good access much easier.

Tim

11. Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boger View Post
    FYI .... I just downloaded the 2015 Catalog from Grizzly, all the info as typically provided is available.

I currently turn on a Jet 14-42, for the most part I've got no complaints .... the variable speed via the Reeves drive is archaic, it still functions after 10 years of steady weekend usage.

That being said, damn that new Grizzly is calling my name! My one concern is the " rotating" head stock, does it simply unlock and spin like my Jet does? Being short legged I appreciate being able to turn my work towards me a little which makes getting good access much easier.

Tim
    Tim, that just means you can take the headstock off and rotate it 180 degrees opposite what it would be if you wanted to put it in reverse and turn off the headstock end. I see no need for that because you can just slide it down towards the other end and turn off that end.......unless you are a lefty and prefer the other way. It is the same as the Jet 1642 evs or powermatic 3520b as far as rotating the headstock.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Tim, that just means you can take the headstock off and rotate it 180 degrees opposite what it would be if you wanted to put it in reverse and turn off the headstock end. I see no need for that because you can just slide it down towards the other end and turn off that end.......unless you are a lefty and prefer the other way. It is the same as the Jet 1642 evs or powermatic 3520b as far as rotating the headstock.
    Roger, as you pointed out earlier in the thread, this rotating headstock feature is the same as on my G0733. I, too, see no point in reversing the headstock, for a couple of reasons. It would put the headstock controls on the opposite side of the lathe, away from the turner, unless you walked to the other side. In which case you might as well just slide the headstock down to the tailstock end and remove the much lighter tailstock. Second, the headstock casting and motor are very heavy on the G0733, and no doubt heavier on the G0766. To reverse them 180 degrees, they must be lifted high enough for the cast indexing tongue to clear the center gap of the ways, then maneuvered and lowered back down without marring the cast iron. Having done this once, I'm pretty certain that few turners would ever want to do it twice.

In looking at the overall dimensions of the G0766 in the new catalog, I notice that despite it's having a 5" shorter capacity between centers, it is about the same length overall as my G0733 (which includes the overhang of the motor beyond the headstock casting and bed), but about 1-1/2" taller and 4" wider. I'm assuming the additional 4" in width is due to a wider stance of the cast iron legs, since the VHD and it's dust shield on a larger headstock couldn't account for that much increase. Seems like that would add a lot of stability to compensate for the 4" greater swing capacity.

The 5" shorter capacity between centers of the G0766 might be due to the larger headstock and tailstock, with the actual length of the lathe bed being about the same as the G0733.

Sure would be great for a TBN member to visit a Grizzly showroom one of these days soon to investigate further in person and report back to us.

David

Roger, just saw your latest thread saying you've already ordered the G0766. Congratulations! Looking forward to your review.

David

14. Investigate? I am already committed! You bring up some great points David! I have a feeling the bed is shorter because of the 42" between centers and it is likely to have a wider stance as well.......meaning the bed ways are probably a little beefier than the G0733 or G0698......now that is a guess on my part, but with reading the dimensions as you did and information supplied, as you did as well, I came to think that is probably the case. Now, I could be wrong, but seeing pics on Burt Groups site of this family of lathes, it just has a look to it that is beefier.......at least to my eyes.

I think the extra length you mentioned is taken up by the larger motor, and the bed is actually a little shorter than the G0733.

That is a pretty sharp stick you are goading me with on that trip to Muncy, there David! Want to meet up and go up together?

Looks like we were both posting at the same time, and I did not see your last comment above!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 01-01-2015 at 7:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post

Sure would be great for a TBN member to visit a Grizzly showroom one of these days soon to investigate further in person and report back to us.

David
    Back in the "working years" I usually stopped in the Bellingham location just about monthly. This allowed me to really look at their line-up frequently. If work was still paying my way I would be watching for this on the floor.

I usually stopped on the way home, in case something small had to follow me home. One time I walked in and there was a ShopFox air-cleaner (HEPA) I had been thinking about, I noticed a single-page flyer that had a sale price sitting on a counter, but the price on the air-cleaner wasn't changed. So I handed the flyer to one of the clerks and asked what the price was. He talked to a couple other clerks, then called "up-stairs" to ask.
    A couple minutes later an East-Indian man in a suit came down, looked at the flyer and said something about the flyer being out a couple days early, but go ahead and sell it at the reduced price.
    While I have never seen a photo of the owner (he is reported to be very camera shy) I figured it was him.