Thread: Need help with G&G Blacker House Mirror design detail

Need help with G&G Blacker House Mirror design detail

I'm designing an entryway mirror for my home, and I like the simplicity and elegance of the Blacker House entryway mirror. One thing I am struggling with is how to make the through slits that the leather strapping used to hang the mirror is threaded through. Routing them out and smoothing the edges via hand tool might be one option, but any other suggestions on how to execute this design feature would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brad
    Last edited by Brad Swanson; 12-29-2014 at 5:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    You could create the slots with a straight router bit and then use something like this to create the round over. http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...it_groove.html

BTW: I would space the 2 slots a bit further apart than what the picture shows. That just doesn't look very strong. If that center bar ever broke, you would need to make a whole new frame. But I do like the design. If it were me, I would just forgo the leather straps and not have to mess with cutting the slots. That would make the design even simpler. ( you did say you like the design simplicity)
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 12-29-2014 at 5:42 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I also think plunge router, straight bit and then finish it off with small hand tools: chisel, rasp, files, sandpaper, etc. Might be worth trying to make a template of sorts with a top bearing bit to make sure they come out exactly the same. I also agree that making the rib a bit thicker would be a good move but you might want to sketch a few options to get the proportions right

Bit brace, drill of any kind, coping saw, rasp. I see larrys concern but on long grain that section would be nearly impossible to break.

Brad

Those look like they'll best be executed buy hand.
    That slit doesn't appear to be uniform across it's face. from the pic it seems as if the center section has a larger diameter than the exposed section. The leather of the belt fills in the whole slit, but the thickness of that leather does not appear to be thick enough by it self to fill those slots by itself.

Me personally, I'd mark the slots out, drill through to remove the waste and then start in with flat and rat tails files to get it to the close dimension. After that it's sand paper wrapped around dowels and flexible pieces of wood. I would not use a router.

In this link I tried to replicate another Greene and Greene style piece by John Hall . The Hall brother's work for the Greene Brothers was exceptional. Their work is very difficult. it seems simple, but it's not. a Lot of hand work.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...dow&highlight=
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-03-2015 at 9:42 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    I do such things with the router and soften the edges by hand sanding. Running a thin strip through the hole and pulling it back and forth like shining a shoe with a rag. I also sometimes leave the slots sharper to contrast with the other softer edges on a piece.

G-GnG-BC-pre-wax-piercing-d.jpg . 3-4x6-done-2.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-03-2015 at 9:53 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler