Thread: What are the bandsaw uses for a woodworker as Neanderthal?

What are the bandsaw uses for a woodworker as Neanderthal?

Hi,

I know this is not the power tool section, but as I gravitate more and more to Neanderthal way of woodworking this is a real question that I would like to get an answer.

I am in the process to buy a new bandsaw. I Know there are no "rules or laws" for a Neanderthal woodworker. I like to work more this way better, for example I am building shelves for caps. It is a nice design that a acquaintance brought to me. I had to cut 24 dados by hand. I have never done it, but it was nice and I was ok with that. I avoided the scream monster (router) and I learned a lot this way.

One thing that I won't and I don't want to do, it is resawing. That won't be enjoyable at all for me. I am pretty good with a handsaw, I can cut straight all the way through the lumber (rip) or crosscut. I cannot see myself resawing 8 inches or more of maple or any other wood by hand.

What other type of cuts would you do in a bandsaw (electric bandsaw! ) if you want to keep the Neanderthal hat most of the time?

Fidel

Sounds like you're a purist. I was until I just got so tired of all the muscle-building handwork. Still really love handtools.

I can't really think of anything that a bandsaw could do for you except size stock, and resaw.

Since resaw is out, and you area adept with a handsaw, maybe just a cheap second hand scroll saw?

I could probably do fine without my 16" or the junker 12" (most frequently used tool) BS.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Blog Entries
    Fidel,

My bandsaw is my most used power tool. Some resawing, some short rip cuts.

It also gets used when I am doing curved cuts on bigger pieces.

I am building shelves for caps. It is a nice design that a acquaintance brought to me.
    Not sure what this means. Is it possible to post an image of this?

A drill press and a lathe are my other main power tools. The random orbital sander and belt sander do not get much use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I am not fond of long rip cuts by hand - which is why I have a table saw. I would like to get rid of the tablesaw (safety & space) and replace with a bandsaw. I've never owned one. I rather think that for 8/4 and less, a bandsaw + track saw can pretty much replace a tablesaw. I don't see resawing with anything other than a bandsaw. It's a coarse machine - meaning pretty much every cut needs refinement. It's much safer than a tablesaw (I think).

JMO & YMWV

I think a bandsaw is about the most flexible power tool a woodworker can buy. They're way safer to use than most other power saws, while the cuts can be rough the ease of use more than makes up for that in my book.

I've used a bandsaw to rough cut large tenons, rip stock to rough size, resaw, cut curves etc. I would guess once you buy one you'll wonder how you did without it.

I'm slowly gravitating from table saw to bandsaw+handplanes.

I use mine for resawing, ripping, cutting tapers, cutting curves, even tenons. I've even started using it for some cross cuts.

If you're deft with planes and shooting boards, cleaning up the cuts off the bandsaw is the one of the most enjoyable feelings.

Most people are happy enough with their 14"+ bandsaws, but having gone from a 14 to a 19", I highly recommend you get the biggest, baddest bandsaw you can. A bandsaw is a finnicky machine and you don't want to be forever jiggling with tension and bearings and tables and fences.

Since I have the space, I have both a tablesaw and bandsaw. As Curt points out, the tablesaw can leave a finished surface. It is useful when ripping and, especially, crosscutting thick hardwood. That is not something I want to do by hand in the larger dimensions. Perhaps I would feel differently if the local woods were not so damn hard! The bandsaw excells in resawing. Although a coarser tool, if space was at a premium, I would have it over the tablesaw. But only if space was in short supply.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I use the bandsaw for repeat rip cuts, and long boring thick rip cuts.

And resawing. Dude ya got try resawing a sweet bookmatched is devine.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

I usually make small things like boxes and the like. I would be lost without my small band saw for ripping and all around shape cutting, including miters and some joinery work. The rest of what I need to do is done by hand tools. Obviously I am not in a big hurry to get a project done but I enjoy every step along the way.