Thread: Mystery tool

Mystery tool

I bought this tool at a yard sale and am not coming up with any info on it, so I thought I'd throw it out to you guys....IMG_0742s.jpg
    It says H.Heller Germany and to the left, a double ring with an anchor stamped on it. I'd say it's for boring something out but what exactly I don't know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Low rpm drill. Think it's called a gimlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Low rpm drill. Think it's called a gimlet.
    What Mel said.
    Maurice

Was this pre brace and bit days?
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

no, just used for lighter stuff, like starting screws. Don't know if they are still made. I'm guessing most of them are 19th
    century that turn up today.

Lee Valley has some new made ones, as does Highland.
    Maurice

They were mostly for drilling pilot holes for screws. There was a blurb about them on the wood-wrights shop awhile back.

Can be helpful if you need to drill a hole where any other tool won't fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    Lee Valley has some new made ones, as does Highland.
    I have a set from LV. I find them helpful. Dont use them every day, but when I need them Im glad I have them.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Another possibility, FWIW. Someone I know had a tire store years ago. He used to "plug", not patch, tires that had nail holes. When steel belted tires had a hole in the tread, he used to prepare the hole to accept the plug using a tool that looked an awful lot like that one. Basically, he'd ream the hole with a borer and then insert a glue covered plug. I think that borer was maybe 1/8 or 3/16 in diameter. (The size always surprised me, but the plug always sealed.)

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Like Mel said, it is a gimlet.

I have a few of those around.

One of mine is just the right size for use with small hinges. It marks a good center to be drilled for small screws. It can do a good pilot hole for bigger screws. One of mine is big enough for #10 screws.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Gimlet. Also used to drill pilot holes (some call them "scant holes") for cut nails and screws.
    Paul