Thread: Is $35 fair for a Bailey #3?

Is $35 fair for a Bailey #3?

Saw it at the antique store. It keeps nagging at me. Its all there and seems to be in good shape for a user tool. What do you guys think?

Edit: Finally found the right search terms and turned up quite a few on the auction site. Price looks mid-range to me. Does anyone know differently?

Thanks!
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-30-2014 at 10:09 PM. Reason: modified becsuse I couldnt figure out how to delete it
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

If its a good user, no breaks, decent blade (e.g. no deep pitting), not rusted out and no cracks. Then yes, fair price. Not a steal by any means, but a fair price within the range of what you would pay from a reputable tool dealer (like Joshua Clark or Walt).

You could probably find one cheaper if you look around online for while, but than you'd have to add on shipping. If its a good plane, and you want a 3 I'd say have at it....a bird in the hand....etc...

If its a rust bucket that will require hours of work I'd pass on it...you should be able to get a relatively clean plane for $35.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 12-30-2014 at 10:23 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Thanks Chris. Thats my read too. I appreciate your help!

Fred

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

There are always a bunch on ebay. I just checked, and you can get one in great shape from 45 up to NOS for a little less than a hundred. I use old planes like this, but don't like to put a lot of time into one, so I'd rather pay a little more for one that only may need the sole flattened, and the iron sharpened. I'd pass on any with any rust to amount to anything. Maybe the one you found is in good enough shape, but I wouldn't bet on it. I keep two 3's with different cambered irons.

I agree with Chris, but the price will depend on the age of the plane (that is, by the type). A type 9, 10, 11, 12, or 13 would be worth that.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks guys. Ive been going over Patrick Leach'es type study, and going just from memory, I think its a Type 9. It was not rusty and seemed to be in good condition. Im going to take another look and if it still looks good, I think Ill buy it.

Thanks for giving me a hand!
    Fred

Fredrick,

If it is a type 9, I would offer a few bucks less than the type 10-13s, because the type 9 does not have the frog adjuster bolt underneath the brass adjuster wheel. This makes it a bit more difficult to adjust the position of the frog, and as such I think it is a little less desirable than the other types listed in the post above by Mike.

Stew

Blog Entries
    I like my #3 and it gets a lot of use. At that price I would want to make sure the blade was in good condition unless you replace blades with something you like better.

If this is a type 9, $35 isn't a great price but it isn't a bad price. The #3 is a bit scarce compared to the #4 or 5.

Life in an antique shop is people making offers of less. All they can do is say no. It also depends on how much you want to play the game or do the dance.

My last #3 was a K3 from an antique shop. It was marked $35. I offered $25, he said no. I mentioned a few other planes he had that I wasn't interested in since someone mixed the parts up a bit. I went back to the shelf with the plane to put it back. He came along so I showed him a few things about the planes he had and talked about the other tools. After a few minutes he said I could have the K3 for $25. Earlier I was kind of glad he turned down my offer. Anyway I bought another plane. It is actually a good one. Haven't put a lot of time into it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sounds fair to me.

If the adjustment mechanism is smooth,
    and you still have an inch or more below
    the slot in the iron - it's a fair price.

If anything is missing, or the iron is short - replacement
    parts will make this an expensive rehab.

Bring a straight ruler to check to see if parts
    are still true - I wouldn't take home a plane
    that is twisted or has a warped blade.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Jim Koepke;2353835]I like my #3 and it gets a lot of use. At that price I would want to make sure the blade was in good condition unless you replace blades with something you like better.

If this is a type 9, $35 isn't a great price but it isn't a bad price. The #3 is a bit scarce compared to the #4 or 5.]

My take on it is that I have a #3 that I bought on line for about that price ten or so years ago.
    Every time I use that plane, I do so frequently, I'm glad I have it. It is a solid performer and is almost like using an oversize block plane.
    I use it to smooth small surfaces. When I pick it up, it's like an old friend. I have the original blade in mine. (Of coarse, I also will smooth small surfaces with my apron plane if I'm too lazy to get the #3)

If the effort is to get a good user plane, compared to the price of new planes, it's a good price.

This seems fair but not a steal. Better to get one complete and in good shape than a $5 disaster that needs parts replaced If it is all there and good it will last you the rest of your life for $35 bucks.....

I am looking for pictures. I have paid less and I have paid more. To me its the condition, the type and the size.

Follow up

Well, I went back and took another look based on the points you all gave me. Decided to pass on that particular tool.

After the Holiday, I think I'll call Josh Clark and see what he has, or what he can find. I spoke with him a couple months back about another purchase and he seemed like a straight shooter. (If you know another reputable dealer for "user tools" I'd appreciate hearing about them.)

Once again, thanks everyone for all your help!

Happy New Year!
    Fred