Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motor Noise on Almost New PM 3520b

My 3520 had a similar noise coming from the motor, only a few months old. Still under warranty, so I called PM and they also told me to wait to see if it gets worse or not and I told them that I paid for a properly running machine and that's what I want. So they ended up sending a tech out to my shop and found out that one of the bearings was already going bad and sent me a new motor

Get a Harbor Freight Mechanic's Stethoscope - SKU 69913 - $4, remove the fan end shroud and fan run the motor and probe as close to the outer bearing race as possible. The drive end bearing is going to be difficult to get to, might have to pull the motor for electrical safety reasons. It's amazing how well the stethoscopes work in defining a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kaufman View Post
    Get a Harbor Freight Mechanic's Stethoscope - SKU 69913 - $4, remove the fan end shroud and fan run the motor and probe as close to the outer bearing race as possible. The drive end bearing is going to be difficult to get to, might have to pull the motor for electrical safety reasons. It's amazing how well the stethoscopes work in defining a problem.
    Bought one and could tell something wasn't right inside. Called PM again and they asked for video with sound. Then they requested the proof of purchase, lathe s/n, picture of the motor with label, picture of motor label cut in pieces. Today I receive the replacement motor but it doesn't have a label on it. I understand the reason to have proof that I destroyed the old label (guess so I don't resell it) but I think the new one should have had a label on it. I see on-line you can buy a replacement label for the 4224b lathe but not the 3520b. Am I being picky our should I ask about getting a label?

Thanks,

Mike

It can't hurt anything to ask for a label from them for your lathe. The worse that can happen is they can say "no". In my opinion. I would want one for my lathe.
    Tim.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.

Just got done swaping out the motors. No more motor noise.

Mike

Glad to hear that it's fixed and now quiet!

Red
    RED

Congrats Mike! Glad you were able to fix the problem! Enjoy your new 'quiet' lathe!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

+1 Glad to hear your fixed up. Hate when goofy stuff like this happens. So what happens with the bad motor? Do you have to send it back?

I would want a label too! I'd call back and request one, especially since they instructed you to destroy the old one. Glad it's fixed also.

Mike, glad you finally found the reason for the noise. As for the replacement motor having no label, seems to me PM is shifting risk on this to you without reasonable justification.

If you were to try to sell the lathe next year, would a buyer be concerned about it? Maybe, maybe not, but evidently PM thinks that having you destroy the label on the first motor sufficiently reduces its value that they are comfortable not having it returned. What if the replacement motor develops a problem? Now you don't have a label to cut up before PM will send you another one. Unlikely situations, sure, but so was the probability that the first motor would fail on an almost new lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Mike, glad you finally found the reason for the noise. As for the replacement motor having no label, seems to me PM is shifting risk on this to you without reasonable justification.

If you were to try to sell the lathe next year, would a buyer be concerned about it? Maybe, maybe not, but evidently PM thinks that having you destroy the label on the first motor sufficiently reduces its value that they are comfortable not having it returned. What if the replacement motor develops a problem? Now you don't have a label to cut up before PM will send you another one. Unlikely situations, sure, but so was the probability that the first motor would fail on an almost new lathe.
    Yeah, I was first glad to get it fixed but then it's bothering me more and more that the replacement didn't have the label for both resale and I'm a hobbyist and want it to stay looking new. I emailed them and called them last Friday and they are supposed to be working on getting me a label. Hate to belabor it but now wondering if I do get a label what will be on it? The original label had a S/N and month/date of manufacture.

Mike

Alright, guess I need to chuckle a little or be pi$$ed. Went out to turn a bit and even though I'm relatively new I noticed the lathe is turning the wrong way. Good thing it has reverse. They'll probably tell me to swap the FDW/REV labels.

Mike

Hi Mike.
    You seem to be having some issues, hope it all gets cleared up fast...
    I would want a label and it should have the same info that the original had.
    On the Fwd and Rev issue, your motor is wired backwards and you should get instructions from PM on how to set that straight, you should not have to mess with your control panel with a magic marker....!!!!
    good luck.
    Peter F.

Yup, sounds like it's probably wired backwards. Not a big deal, if you're comfortable switching terminals in a talk-through with PM. I'm wondering now if the unlabeled replacement motor is rebuilt. I'd ask them directly when you call. You said the lathe is almost new. I'm all for working with the equipment vendor on this type of thing, but if you just bought it recently, I don't think I'd settle for a rebuilt, especially without a label, and this new issue may be reason enough to just ask them for an RA number and a prepaid Fed Ex shipping label. If the lathe is, say, a year into the warranty, a rebuilt would probably be reasonable, IMO.

Received a call today from PM tech service. This guy was sharp and knew what he was talking about. He said the motor shoud have had a name plate and he would take care of it. And I need to swap two wires on the motor to get it running in the correct direction. Now I'm ready to concentrate on turning .

Mike