Thread: Sapele Rocking Chair Runners

Sapele Rocking Chair Runners

I am copying a comfortable old rocking chair but making it out of Sapele. The wood folks say that Sapele does not submit well to steam bending which is how the runners on the original were made. Does anyone know whether I could just make solid wood runners out of Sapele or whether I'd need to use bent lamination?

Blog Entries
    I'm not familiar with Sapele, but I have seen rockers with rockers that were cut from a wide board to make the curve. The danger is if the curve is too great or the wood is prone to splitting, then the thin cross section can result in failure. Can you find a piece of Sapele that has curved grain that approximates the curve you need?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I'm not familiar with Sapele, but I have seen rockers with rockers that were cut from a wide board to make the curve. The danger is if the curve is too great or the wood is prone to splitting, then the thin cross section can result in failure. Can you find a piece of Sapele that has curved grain that approximates the curve you need?
    I will try that. Thanks.