Thread: Christmas Gifts

Christmas Gifts

Here are some of the Christmas gifts I made this year, kind of last minute because we are trying to sell house and most of my tools were removed from the garage and placed in storage .

Here is a chessboard I made for my son, it is made from Peruvian Walnut and Curly Maple. The top was made using the "strip and rip" method using 3/4" lumber and then glued to a 1/2" plywood backer board which was then placed into the Walnut frame. The top was finished with Watco and beeswax/coconut oil, the sides were finished with BLO/spar urethane/thinner mix followed by spar urethane. So the sides are glossy but the playing surface is matte.
    WAH_9154.jpg

Here are a couple of pens I made for my kids. Both of the inlay kits were mad by Kallenshaan, the puzzle pen was for my daughter and the music notes one was for my son. Both are magnetic Vertex rollerball pens and were finished with a BLO CA finish.
    WAH_9086a.jpg

Here are some pens I made for my coworkers. They are all Sierra pens made with Birdseye Maple and dyed with food coloring and/or analine dyes and finished with BLO and CA.
    WAH_9031.jpg

And the last one is for me, my wife bought me a new lathe, the new Rikon 70-220 VSR. Since it is much larger than my last lathe, the Nova Mercury, I needed a new stand for it and rather than spend the $180 for the dedicated stand I spent $30 for some lumber and screws and came up with this.
    WAH_9173.jpg

Bill

Nice presents all around. Hope the new Rikon works out for you. It looks like a pretty well thought out lathe and had been out there at a good price. I enjoy using my little Nova Comet II (very similar) for smaller turning and finishing instead of using my Powermatic 3520B. I'll be looking for your fist post of 12" bowl.

Very nice work on the chess board!

Good job Pat I am sure they were much appreciated.
    Best Regards,

Gordon