Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have sharpening station plans?

Anyone have sharpening station plans?

I want to build a sharpening station. I am really attracted to the one that Lie Nielsen makes, but at $1000+, it ain't going to happen. I wouldn't mind building one, but my creative genius is zilch. Anyone have plans for anything similar or know where I could buy some?

I built a sharpening bench from cheap construction lumber. Here are detailed build pics:

http://imgur.com/a/PtStX

And the final thing:

Anyone have sharpening station plans?
    yes, I plan on not POing SWMBO so I can keep sharpening in the kitchen.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

I like it! Simple construction and well thought out.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Jordan View Post
    I built a sharpening bench from cheap construction lumber. Here are detailed build pics:

http://imgur.com/a/PtStX

And the final thing:

I built one just like the LN unit from a piece of granite that was a cut out from a sink or stove top. Just go to a granite place and tell them what you are looking for. It is thinner but I just put supports under the slab. You could use construction lumber for the base. I really enjoy mine. I will try and get a picture.

Blog Entries
    I am working on one too. I am using an old cabinet and the top off an old file cabinet that has a water proof surface. Not done yet as I am trying to finally decide on how to do the rests in terms of placement and attachment. One of my rests can't be attached beside my grinder the way the directions suggest...

Sharpening Station.jpg

Cody, I am VERY interested in seeing your station.

Here's a peek at my station it sits just outside my shop,I also keep a water hose with a spray nozzle.Just out of the pic.I like lots of water.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I checked out the LN sharpening table, too small to call a bench. As much as I like LN tools and what he has done for hand tool use this isn't one of his best products.

My sharpening bench is the first woodworking work bench I built many years ago, on another thread I called it my Russian Bench but as bad a work bench as it is it's made a pretty good if small sharpening bench. There is a wall cabinet above the bench that holds all the extra and different stones, sandpaper and so on.

I have to admit, the LN one is prettier.

So how do you like your Tormek T7 Ken? Do you find it too slow at touching up a bevel angle or removing minor knocks from chisels or plane blades? I don't mind using a regular bench grinder for re-establishing bevels but I just struggle with having to take my grinder outside to use due to the stone a metal dust. My shop is in an apartment bedroom therefore grinding metal in this area is not a good option for me. Wood dust is something I, and more importantly my girlfriend, doesn't mind but metal dust, sparks, and stone dust is certainly pushing it in this area. I have been seriously contemplating the T7 but do not want to drop that kinda coin on something I will be disappointed with.

I just don't have the room for a large station. I figured something for my stones would encourage me to sharpen more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    So how do you like your Tormek T7 Ken? Do you find it too slow at touching up a bevel angle or removing minor knocks from chisels or plane blades? I don't mind using a regular bench grinder for re-establishing bevels but I just struggle with having to take my grinder outside to use due to the stone a metal dust. My shop is in an apartment bedroom therefore grinding metal in this area is not a good option for me. Wood dust is something I, and more importantly my girlfriend, doesn't mind but metal dust, sparks, and stone dust is certainly pushing it in this area. I have been seriously contemplating the T7 but do not want to drop that kinda coin on something I will be disappointed with.
    Tony,

Yep, it is slower than a bench grinder. I'm not running a production shop so I don't care. I can go a fairly long time before needing to re-grind and it gives a good consistent bevel when needed and I like the large wheel. Would I buy one again, I'm not 100% sure but probably.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Joe McMahon View Post
    I just don't have the room for a large station. I figured something for my stones would encourage me to sharpen more often.
    That I can understand. Something close to your bench with your basic set up makes all the difference in the world. I have the Shapton Glass Stone Pond on my bench. It is not cheap but if I only had a small space to work in I would build a stand to hold the Stone Pond with maybe some storage under it.

ken

Blog Entries
    I tried about 5 different setups, with a stone pond, with clamps, with wooden strips eventually what I like best is just a flat table top, with strips of this tape about 1.5 inches apart http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...54&cat=1,42207

it gives me the besy flexibility. any stone base with rubber dots will not move at all even under high back flattening pressure, any wooden stone\strop base\box gets a strip or 2 of the same tape on the bottom. I can position anything anywhere and be totally secure, it's great, like magic I have a drawer underneath that keeps all stones not in use and accessories close by and organized, for a drawer I highly recommend full extension slides.

photo.jpg
    Last edited by Matthew N. Masail; 01-02-2015 at 6:19 AM.

I was about to build a dedicated station and decided to use the extension table on my tablesaw instead. Its 52", covered in laminate and seldom used for really wide cuts. So its available. The TS sits right behind my workbench, which encourages me to hone or sharpen more often. Its worked out very well for me.

Fred