Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have sharpening station plans?

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    I checked out the LN sharpening table, too small to call a bench. As much as I like LN tools and what he has done for hand tool use this isn't one of his best products.

My sharpening bench is the first woodworking work bench I built many years ago, on another thread I called it my Russian Bench but as bad a work bench as it is it's made a pretty good if small sharpening bench. There is a wall cabinet above the bench that holds all the extra and different stones, sandpaper and so on.

I have to admit, the LN one is prettier.
    Pretty or not, I feel better every time I see a workshop as well sued and well loved as mine!

Blog Entries
    Tom Fidgen released some free plans for his Sharpening bench. Quick google search should bring it up.

http://www.theunpluggedwoodshop.com/...ch-part-1.html

I have designs on building a sharpening bench. It will probably end up being something of a combination of Tom's bench and a Japanese sharpening station.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    I plan to add t-track to mine with a sliding bar to lock the stones in place. You would have two t-track running parallel, and two bars that slide in the track perpendicular to the tracks. You put the stones in place, slide the bars up against the stone, and they lock. Also it allows you to slide on various accessories like a grinder mounted to a piece of wood with t-bolts, and lock them in place. Less table top space needed, very versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    Pretty or not, I feel better every time I see a workshop as well sued and well loved as mine!
    Thanks Chris,

One thing for sure, it is well used as is the whole shop.

I've one thing to add about sharpening benches. If you can, make it twice as big as you think you need.

ken

And now for something completely different...

0102151446.jpg0102151447.jpg

I use oilstones so I don't have to worry about water. I have them sitting in a 28" deep drawer with 100lb full extension slides and 3/4 BB Plywood for the drawer bottom. I have some Kaizen foam and plan on fitting all of the stones in place along with a honing guide, a small bottle of oil, and a few other things. When I'm done, I just slide the draw in and it's all out of the way.
    Last edited by Stew Hagerty; 01-02-2015 at 5:01 PM.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

These are my sharpening flats. Two flats, which is actually just a spare shelf with a front edge strip, cut in half. Each flat has two sets of four rare earth magnets in the little magnetic cups set into it. The magnets hold 4 DMT 3"x8" diamond stone. I have the fifth stone, an extra extra coarse, in a classic "stone holder", but don't expect to use it very often, which is why it's not on the flats.

Flat8.jpg
    FlatMaster.jpg

The front strip on the flats allow them to be used the same way as bench hooks. Just sit 'em down, push 'em against the edge of your surface, and go to town. The magnets facilitate removing the stones and rinsing them off, or re-arranging them if necessary.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.