Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PEC VS Starrett - actual difference?

I have an older full set of Starrett goodies, including the sliding square, protractor, and 3 centers. They are at least 30 years old or so, and are all still dead nuts accurate. While up on a ladder hanging cedar siding about a month ago, I dropped and broke my old Union combo square. I'm glad I brought it up the ladder and not my Starrett. Anyway's, I was distraught, and the wife witnessed my temper tantrum first hand, as I don't like to damage my tools. I guess you could say I was pi$$ed.

Under the tree on Christmas morn' was a brand new Starrett 12" combination square. I've heard the new stuff wasn't as good as the old stuff, but I have to say that it is dead accurate, and I tested it against known tools in my shop that are 'good'. Very well machined, and the hardened rule is just as good and smooth as my old one. On difference to note was that the Starrett name and insignia is no longer stamped into the tool. A little disappointing, but nothing to get my panties in a bunch over.

I've seen the PEC stuff for sale, and noted that it was an American company. Glad to hear that they are making a good tool.

Good quality Starrett stuff in older form is still pretty easy to find for a fraction of the new price on the auction site, and I see them on Clist frequently, too.
    Jeff

I have had my PEC combo for quire awhile it is dead on. It is heavy and like any good square all the parts are heavy duty. One of my complaints on older squares has been the cheap springs used to adjust the rule. The PEC is solid. You won't go wrong saving a few bucks on the PEC product. Some people buy the most expensive because they think it has to be the best. I really like my PEC combo.

Ian,
    Thanks for taking all the time to do that.
    Old Mitutoyo that I have : I'm liking the prices I am seeing ~ $300 to ~$500 plus. I really have something great I guess.
    I have the protractor and that is the reason I bought that set back in the day. It is totally tight and first rate ! Love it.
    So sorry you had such a bad time with yours. Welcome to the dark ages.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Sounds like you made a good call on the old one. With a bit of luck/if my guesses are correct they may just have changed their minds about walking with the dark side...

Quote Originally Posted by ian maybury View Post
    If you happen to live close to a source that will accept returns 'in the event of' and not result in restocking or return shipping charges then maybe it's worth trying for a decent example of a lower cost square, but i've no idea where the high profile US mag that ran the above review of squares got its product from because they didn't get a single bum example across heaven knows how many brands. No doubt they would say i was unlucky.
    Nah, you weren't unlucky. One of those twit Brits is in charge of allocating combination squares to Ireland. He makes sure that all of the returns get sent your way.

Definitely a case of getting what you pay for in my view….
    yup. It's a shame that there seem to be so few company's making top quality combination squares today. And it's always seemed odd to me that the only brands we ever hear about are Starrett, Brown & Sharpe, and Mituyo. Are there no German, Swiss, or other European makers of these fine tools?
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

As it happened John the squares came from a UK supplier - fortunately they were very straight up about refunds and replacements. The higher end stuff tends not to be stocked over here, or to be UK prices +25/30% if somebody local happens to bring some in.

There were quite a few Euro makers of good stuff, but most if not all seem to have faded off the market in the face of low cost competition. There's a few using brand names that suggest European origin, but it seems more likely that they are subcontracted from the East.

I think the problem with combination squares is that the vast majority on the market are made to be cheap, or in most cases scarily cheap. The Mitutoyos, Brown and Sharpes, Starretts and the like of this world are doing an important job by hanging in there trying to run with a properly engineered quality product at a less than impossible price. (there's a big difference between a hardened, ground and highly accurate product and an aluminium die casting as is the norm on the cheapies)

That's why i very much hope that the above is genuinely an indication that Mitutoyo has gone back upmarket again in terms of their quality, and that it works for them...

Brown & Sharpe tools are not really made by that company any more. They are made by a variety of companies here and there,some in France.

I have a 12" Starrett combination square that I bought 10+ year ago. It's a joy to use; smooth, accurate, easy to read. I also have a 4" Starrett double square. I use it all the time. It's accurate and easy to read, but it's not nearly as smooth as the 12". In fact, even though it's a oft used and trusted tool, it's a bit of a disappointment considering what I paid for it.

I have a cheapo Johnson 6" square that is accurate but not smooth and the embossed marking are hard to read. Despite the handy size, it never gets used.

I need a quality 6" combination and I've been considering going PEC. Seems to be solid quality and they cost 1/3 less than the Starretts.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Brown & Sharpe tools are not really made by that company any more. They are made by a variety of companies here and there,some in France.
    I thought there was something like that going on with them, as they're rarely mentioned anymore as a NEW source for top line stuff. Outsourcing a premium product rarely helps one's brand image.
    It came to pass...

I'm not saying their tools aren't good. Just that B&S ceased to be an actual manufacturer some time ago.

Pardon me on the B&S manufacturing, we don't seem to get them over here but i'd presumed they were high end...

The Brown & Sharpe stuff I have gotten recently has been pretty poor ... no better than the average Chinese import. They are not what they used to be.

I have some PEC stuff and it is quite good. For woodworking, you will never know the difference anyway. I really hate combination squares -- even Starrett -- and avoid using them as much as possible. There's almost always something more accurate and less of a pain to use. But I know I am in the minority on that. Anyway, no reason to avoid PEC tools -- they will do the job just fine.

4" Starrett double square . . . not nearly as smooth as the 12".
    Take it apart like in my photo and take a pocket hone to it or an extra fine diamond paddle.
    Mostly on the hook.
    Smooth and slightly round the burred or sharp edges.
    Maybe a bit of paste wax very sparingly.

Mine's great now.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Thanks Winton. I'll give it a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    Take it apart like in my photo and take a pocket hone to it or an extra fine diamond paddle.
    Mostly on the hook.
    Smooth and slightly round the burred or sharp edges.
    Maybe a bit of paste wax very sparingly.

Mine's great now.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rode View Post
    Thanks Winton. I'll give it a try.
    Daniel, be sure to check back in with the results.
    It came to pass...