Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about replacement plane irons.

Question about replacement plane irons.

I'm needing a replacement iron for my Stanley #7 (2 3/8"). Don't want to get into the rebuild of the plane for use of a Hock iron. What/where are quality irons sold? I've looked on some of the webs for irons, but don't know about quality that is offered.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I'm using stock irons on all my old bench planes, but I intend to try one of these: http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/...oducts_id=1690

Blog Entries
    For my money a used blade from ebay would be fine. I have used the Hock blades and like them. I haven't had a need to file the mouth. Though on one plane it makes for a fairly tight mouth.

The question comes down to how much you are willing to pay.

There used to be replacement blades available at most hardware stores. I haven't seen them in the 2-3/8" size lately.

Looks like it is still available through Stanley:

http://servicenet.bostitch.com/Parts...umber=12-315-1

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Veritas makes some of the best replacement iron. You can order your favorite be it O1, A2, or PM-11 and they come with the backs flat. Polish if you must, a light honing of the bevel and you are ready to go. Most of my Stanley planes have either Veritas or Hock O1 cutters, a few that I do not really use still have Stanley iron. All my LN planes have Veritas O1 iron. I have some PM-11 blades and they are very good but I like sharpening on oil stones and O1 works better.

If you are like me and had rather work wood than flatten backs the Veritas replacement iron can't be beat.

You might consider St James Bay Tool Company. http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com/

They have fairly low prices and quality seems pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brown View Post
    You might consider St James Bay Tool Company. http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com/

They have fairly low prices and quality seems pretty good.
    I tried to get replacement parts for some of my old Stanley planes including my # 39 3/8 plane and also my #78 from this company. They had nothing I needed and told me that they probably wouldn't have anything for a long time, if ever!!!

I have seen hock and veritas blades work out with zero issues.

The LV PM-V11 replacement blades are good.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hock makes a Stanley replacement iron. I don't replace irons unless they are completely unusable. But when they are I always use Hock and I've never had to modify the plane.

My # 7 is a Veritas Bevel up. My # 4 and # 8 planes (ground by Tablesaw Tom) are Stanleys and both are equipped with Veritas PM-V11 blades and chipbreakers. Both worked just fine as drop in replacements. FWIW

Not sure if you can get 'em over there but Ashley Iles makes irons that are nearly the same thickness as stock irons.

I've had good luck using Wood river replacement blades in old Stanley planes.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/153...nch-Plane.aspx

It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I have never needed to alter a Stanley plane for use with a Hock (O-1) iron. They are better performing than the stock cutters, but I dislike the squared off tops of his irons so I cut tapers on them that match the original Stanleys.

Bill

I'm not posting this to convince you of anything, but I just wanted to let you know that about 15 years ago, I piece-mealed together a pretty nice full set of Bedrock planes. I replaced all the irons with Hock irons, and only the 606 required that I file the mouth open more. All the rest of the different sized planes required no filing for the Hock irons to fit.

You might want to give it a try, because Hock irons are really pretty good.

Just a thought to share....
    Jeff