Thread: A lament about old tools prices

A lament about old tools prices

My grandfather was a carpenter, and my father was his young apprentice before WWII. I am the fortunate son, having inherited Dad's woodworking tools - some of which were his father's. Dad would have been 98 this year, and I'm sure that some of these tools go back close to 100 years.

Of the tools that I have, the Bailey planes still get regular use and I wouldn't part with them for love or money. But I also have some hand saws, mostly Disston, that rarely if ever get used in my shop. They hang on pegs on my wall occasionally getting taken down for a de-rusting and oiling session.

I'd be willing to part with them to some woodworker who could appreciate them, but the prices I've seen on eBay are pitiful. Like, a box of 9 saws for 45 bucks didn't sell. I'll let them collect dust/rust before I give them away.

My son will inherit my tools when I'm gone, and he's a hands on kinda fellow. He appreciates that the tools we have have been in the family for 4 generations - but I doubt he'd have use for an old hand saw even if it was his great-grandfather's.

Guess I'll go oil them again...

Perhaps you should ask him and see what he says. He might surprise you. Good luck.

Send them off to have sharpened, and their usefulness might surprise you, or your son.

My personal thoughts on saw prices (I'm not a pro-woodworker or an intentional tool collector) - I'd pay a premium for a saw I knew was in phenomenal condition, well-documented as a rarity or particularly good saw, or set up by a well-known sawsmith. Anything else likely needs work or has kinks. $45.00 for 9 saws is already more than I would typically pay. Rehabbing saws is a lot of work when your free time is at a premium and you'd rather be making sawdust.

Dave,

Things change. You never know about your son. I inherited a few (now precious) of my grandfather's tools 14 yrs ago when he died at 78. He was a lifelong woodworker. I had just finished my second piece of furniture...just getting started in cabinetmaking... never even got a chance to show him my work. Now I am shop teacher, knee-deep in woodworking every day... None of gramp's tools were that nice--but every time I use his old bevel square or chip carving knife while laying out dovetails, I think about him. Strangely, his name was Dave Cullen.

Find another local woodworker and work out a trade that bejifits both of you. Traded several planes today with another local Ohio woodworker and we both feel like we made out pretty good on the deal.

Blog Entries
    I have my great great great grandfathers wooden hand plane, I also have my grandpas cuff links and straight razor (he was a gentleman and a veteran) and my great grandfathers tie clip. These are some of my most cherished possessions though my parents and grandparents did not expect I would think much of these items.

My ancestor's hand plane is quite literally displayed as art in my home.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I keep a crosscut saw in my truck behind my seat,Never met a board too long to bring home!

To you they are worth more than they are to someone else, so the best thing to do, if you don't want them, is to give them to someone who does. I would make sure to keep one good crosscut and one good rip, as there is a good chance at some point in your life you will want to use them. I have decided that if someone was to offer me $250,000 for my grandfather's anvil I would sell it; any less, no deal. At some point, unless it happens to get sold, I will give it to the next generation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mikal View Post
    Dave,

Things change. You never know about your son. I inherited a few (now precious) of my grandfather's tools 14 yrs ago when he died at 78. He was a lifelong woodworker. I had just finished my second piece of furniture...just getting started in cabinetmaking... never even got a chance to show him my work. Now I am shop teacher, knee-deep in woodworking every day... None of gramp's tools were that nice--but every time I use his old bevel square or chip carving knife while laying out dovetails, I think about him. Strangely, his name was Dave Cullen.
    Strange, indeed! Wow.

Unfortunately, both Dad and his father had passed by the time I became interested in woodworking, so I was never able to share sawdust or learn from them. I did have the saws professionally sharpened some 30 years ago and actually used them for a while back then.

One day my son was in the driveway trying to remove ball joints from his truck. He needed a wedge and I handed him a big old cold chisel that was my grandfather's. Two whacks with a sledge and the joint popped. We both smiled big time knowing that 4 generations of Cullens have been whacking on that lovely, simple tool. Priceless.

Thanks, guys. I think I'll keep 'em.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, guys. I think I'll keep 'em.
    That sounds like a good solution.

I have a bunch of old saws that do not get used. Mostly because there hasn't been time for me to sharpen all of them.

I have found having saw built or sharpened for a particular purpose is an nice luxury. With decent old saws going for a few bucks each I still will look at them, and sometimes buy, when I am out hunting for rust.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My Swedish grandfather was a life long professional woodworker. As a child, I can remember looking around in his basement at his old bench and tools. We lived several states away, so the visits were few and far between. When he and my grandmother died, our aunt and cousins went through the basement and threw out most everything except his bench and a bow saw. Somehow, I ended up with the bow saw, which I cherish and use freequently. His bench ended up in a damp basement, until my sister some how was able to retrieve it. My previous attempts at the bench were unsuccessful. I tried to get the bench from her as my woodworking became more serious, but she said no, her husband uses it. I asked for a picture so I could replicate it and she sent me a picture of it sitting in the garage piled high with miscellaneous junk.

You should feel lucky to have those saws. Cherish them.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

If the tools are not in the way and you don't need the money, 10, 20, 30 years from now your children or grandchildren may not use them but just cherish that they have them. I wish I had more of my dad and grandpa's stuff.